HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Road tires, what do you like?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

5/23/14 10:47 AM

Road tires, what do you like?

NM, moved to Walter's Vit post per suggestion...

I forgot my MOD password to edit the thread, just do what I did if you want and leave this thread for dead...

Last edited by Sparky on 5/23/14 1:13 PM; edited 2 times in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

5/23/14 12:44 PM

embarrassment of riches

I am now quite pleased with all the tires I use regularly - Challenge Strada 25 on the road bike, Hutchinson 650x32 "confrerie des 650" on the rando bike, Compass 26x1.75 on the commuting/errand bike, and Clement LAS clinchers on the cross bike. All ride great. In particular, the Hutchinsons at 50 psi are like riding on a cloud.

So I'm not even using the equally wonderful Grand Bois Cerf 26s and 28s!

BTW, someone might want to consolidate the 2 threads

Reply to topic    

greglepore

5/23/14 2:11 PM

I just don't care for the ride of Conti's, probably a tubular days hangover. Vit CX's for me, Challenge Parigi Roubaix in the winter. Our roads are trashed here, only ride 25's or larger. They stick better in the corners too.

Sparky

5/23/14 2:43 PM

"I just don't care for the ride of Conti's"

Have to tried the GP4KS black Chili? And on 23mm wide rims. I find the ride really nice, but running low pressures and I am a porker. ;) I am starting to hate all tires at high pressure. ;)

Steve B.

5/23/14 4:30 PM

I keep saying I'm going to retire the 23mm Conti Grand Prix 4 Seasons, but they keep on rolling with no flats. They last forever, best tires I've ever used, glad I purchased extras as they are now $75 ea.

Reply to topic    

Evan Marks

5/24/14 7:21 AM

quote:
Conti Grand Prix 4 Seasons ... they keep on rolling with no flats.
Ditto.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/24/14 10:21 AM

I have had two GP4KS flats, and zero All Season myself.

I need to try some smaller maybe, all mine are 28C. Maybe a set of 25C at some point.

Got a Gatorskin the other day for the rear of the Tandem, going to put one of the GP4-ASeas on the front. I think I will have to black sharpie over the garish orange HELLO GATORSKIN on the side of that tire!!

Brian Nystrom

5/24/14 11:08 AM

I've been really happy with the Conti GP4000S 25s

They ride great, they're light, they grip well and they're reasonably durable. I did get a sidewall cut in one, but after installing a patch on the inside, I'm still riding it.

I have a pair of GP4 All Seasons that I bought for the 'cross bike, but I haven't been using them lately. They're rugged, but not as responsive as the G4000S and I really don't need the extra width, even with the crappy roads around here.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/24/14 11:22 AM

Yeah, the black chile compound sticks tight in deep corners to be sure. As good as about anything I suppose...

Nick Payne

5/24/14 4:21 PM

The smallest tyres I ride are 28c (Schwalbe Ultremo ZX), on my old road-race machine. Most of my riding is done on a pair of 650b machines, one using Pacenti Pari-Moto 38mm tyres at 45-50psi and the other using Grand Bois Hetre 42mm at 40-45psi.

Reply to topic    

Tim123

5/25/14 6:50 AM

Another vote for the Conti GP4000S.

I have tried others but seem to keep coming back to them. Used to run 23mm but have been on 25mm for the last few years and really like them. Run them around 90/100 front to rear. Ive heard some folks complain of frequent sidewall cuts, but never had a problem myself. I dont race but do love a good downhill fang and these seem to hang on pretty well.

Reply to topic    

dddd

5/25/14 10:17 AM

GP4000-S

...seems to last almost forever, with few flats. Nice-riding, too.

I could say much the same for Vred Fortezza Tricomp, now available in 25c but apparently only in black.

Durable racing tires, both!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/27/14 5:33 PM

I have 3 Axial Pro 25C I picked up for 12.50 each in the original packages, the guy never used them. I put them on the TCX on narrow Bontragger rims @ 80 lbs.
Nice riding tires, fit like an actual 25C on narrow rims, unlike the Contis. Full 27.6mm on wider rims. Ride notably nicer than the GP4KS at same pressure.

They sit wider than the 25C GP4KS when mounted on the wide rims. A little tight on the Scott. But the CX has a ton of room. ;) TCX has triple, so when hills and wife are included, the 30 tooth front comes in handy...

sanrensho

5/27/14 6:48 PM

I haven't ridden the Conti GP4000 but have ridden Attack/Force and a few other Conti training tires. Overall, I was impressed by their durability, but switching to various Michelin tires and Vittoria (Diamante Pro Light) was a revelation to me in terms of ride quality. Open Corsa CX is waiting next after I wear out my rear Pro Race 3. Life is too short to ride Conti tires in nice weather, although their durability is great for the rain bike and on the trainer.

Diamante Pro Light 25c with a latex tube is a keeper for the front.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/27/14 7:56 PM

Most roll out test I have seen put latex tube in about every tire with more rolling resistance... Ride nice I bet though...

Craig

6/1/14 2:17 AM

Vittoria Open Paves have generally been very good until I got a mystery flat recently. I couldn't find the hole anywhere but I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be under that screw...

But seriously, I've had very few flats with the Paves, they wear better than most people suggest they do, and most importantly, they have a very nice ride.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/1/14 9:42 AM

That sucks...

I hate when a tire, especially an expensive one, gets ruined with a lot og tread left on it.

I hit a piece of steel with a tire out on a first ride, cut it clean across. Hard to see what you are running over with rain on the oaklys, if you know what i mean.

Last edited by Sparky on 6/1/14 10:02 AM; edited 1 time in total

Andy M-S

6/1/14 9:47 AM

Actually...

it blows. Probably should've used stainless screws instead.

Craig

6/1/14 11:29 PM

As a puncture and not a cut I'll keep riding it. Most of the casing is in tact but but I put a small piece of duct tape on the inside of the tire to stop it from "chewing" on the tube, just in case. Thankfully the screw was short and only went through the rim wall of the tire bed and not the whole rim. I had to use a screwdriver to get the screw out.

I have sliced wide open a brand new, first ride Axial Pro3 before. I'm not superstitious but switched back to Vittoria right away. If you imagine the section view of most Continental tires you'll realize the sidewalls stick out beyond the rubber tread part of the tire which does make it slightly more prone to sidewall cuts, but you're splitting hairs there. Regardless, I'm fat and find Continental tires square off too quickly on the back for a bigger rider. They ride very nicely though, and, in my experience, are more than acceptably durable under lighter riders.

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

6/2/14 8:12 AM

Same here finding the leak :) from last Thursday's team ride

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -