Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Cornering
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

4/9/14 4:42 PM

He was saying he corners a moto, and slacks on a bike.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

walter

4/9/14 6:03 PM

erik nailed it!

One of those oblique tongue-in-cheek references that often miss on the interwebs.

Sparky

4/9/14 6:58 PM

"risk breaking the rear tyre's traction due to compression-drag from the engine. "

If you keep the forward load on the chain/sprocket you won't get the drag from the drive line. And you will also have a consistent pull on the lever [swingarm] on the bumps in and out of the turn.

How I was taught anyway...

So for me it is down shift, but keep revs high and pulling so the chain keeps tight on top of the system and pulling the swing arm up always in the turn. Not down then up when you dial the throttle back on.

I have a V twin also, the 920 Yami. And when I had the Buell it was even more pronounced due to massive flywheel inertia that thing had due to a crazy heavy flywheel/effect. Which I hated...

walter

4/10/14 6:21 AM

"keep the forward load on the chain/sprocket"

rev matching, no? any more you're doing the opposite of braking!

Sparky

4/10/14 9:38 AM

All front brake and keep the chain loaded on the top is how I was taught.

dddd

4/16/14 11:07 PM

"All front brake and keep the chain loaded on the top is how I was taught."

I recall that I eventually did almost the same thing by instinct after many years of riding on rain-slicked NY back roads, except I used the rear brake together with the throttle and front brake.
This seemed to keep the rear suspension from topping out under braking, since the rear brake's backing plate was anchored directly to the bike's swingarm, which maintained a compressive force on the shocks.
Poor man's traction control I guess.

Riding off-road, and often downshifting two or more gears at a time, I would keep the clutch lever in the whole time, but those bikes usually had "floating" rear brakes that didn't feed any braking torque into the swingarm, but used a parallel rod that was anchored to the main frame. Here, I would just use the front and rear brakes for all the traction that they could use.

Riding hard on the brakes on dry pavement, most street bikes can put little if any braking power to the rear tire without the wheel locking up.

There was a period of intense interest in, and development of, swingarm pivot-to-countershaft distance and the effects that this had on braking and on chain tensioning. I designed a constant-tension linkage in the best Rube Goldberg traditions as one of my freshman mechanical engineering projects at NC State back in 1979.
Your Buell would have had a most generous swingarm pivot-to-countershaft distance, owing to it's Harley Sportster engine unit architechture.

Flat-trackers (dirt-trackers) utilize adjustable swingarm pivot height eccentrics to fine-tune their rear suspension's squat behavior for each track that they race on.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -