HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Serendipitous timing- Tour de Langkawi

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
RCoapman

2/26/14 5:12 AM

Serendipitous timing- Tour de Langkawi

Hi all. It seems like forever since I've posted. How y'all doing? My time on 2 wheels is mostly spent leaning into corners at triple digit speeds these days...I've been bitten by the moto bug bad.

I'm also back traveling the world for work. Spent the last two weeks hopping about the Andaman sea area (Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, etc) and it just so happens that I'll be in Langkawi, Malaysia tomorrow and not far from the start line of the first stage of the race. If I can get through the bureaucracy of the port to get to the start line I'll be sure to post pics!

Reply to topic    

Tom Price

2/26/14 8:30 AM

Hi Rob

It is good to hear from you. I enjoy the reports of your travels. Please keep us posted.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

April

2/26/14 9:06 AM

Nice! Keep us posted on your travel.

sanrensho

2/26/14 1:42 PM

Food pics please. Always enjoy those.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

2/26/14 2:07 PM

Hmmm

Rob diving into corners at triple digit speeds...why does this not sound good...:)

Just kidding, hope things are going well Rob. You do lead an interesting life.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

2/26/14 7:26 PM

"why does this not sound good"

It's awesome, Dan...right up to the moment I make a mistake. Then it's really going to suck. :-D

We docked appx 5 min away from the staging area for the race. Was able to hang out for about 10 minutes before the start. Will upload some pics when I get some bandwidth. Shipboard satellite is far too slow for pics.

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

2/26/14 8:30 PM

What ship? If you can say.

RCoapman

2/26/14 10:23 PM

Ah right, guess I left that a little vague.

No security clearance issues, Erik, this is a private gig. I'm working for cruise ship line based out of Seattle. I won't say which one because this forum is publicly searchable. I'm working with a pretty awesome team and the job keeps me very busy, which I like. The travel is great as well. This trip I've been to Honolulu, Kona, Puerto Vallarta, Singapore, Phuket, Rangoon, Langkawi, and tomorrow we land in Kuala Lumpur where I'm taking a day off to explore. Leaving the ship on Saturday morning to fly back.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/26/14 10:44 PM

"It's awesome, Dan...right up to the moment I make a mistake."

I'd say make sure you come off the low side, but that is where the next lunatic is coming behind you into the same turn @ triple digits. [but on the brakes;)]

Rob, ever tell you about my Pocono Raceway Jaunt in Super Bike practice laps. Well, all classes out on the track for the practice laps...

RCoapman

2/26/14 11:00 PM

No, sir. You did not.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/26/14 11:49 PM

Back then, they did a safety inspection on the bike and pop on the color dejour sticker so the track bouncers ;) know IT'S OK for the bike to be on the track. They didn't look beyond that, so my bud said go do some laps. And I did 10 laps. I was used to a 1170 worked Kawi for street ride, his bike a Honda 750 Interceptor with pipes and jetted.

I remember how slow that bike felt waiting for every gear on that open track. The bank ate the things mojo and suspension, it was weird but cool. I got passed only once in 10 laps by an open class Suzi that was probably punched out to a 1400. I tried to stay with it out of the chicane onto the bank, and it was futile and a joke trying. It was then the 750 felt like a mini bike to me. I got jazzed about getting into it, but a friend about the same time got killed on a street ride in way stupid freaky low speed thing that happened and made me think better of it as a result. Just stuck with my Moto-CX. ;)

Have fun, keep the rubber side down and like that!

RCoapman

2/27/14 3:11 AM

Yeah, horsepower matters. :) I just upgraded to a 650 from that crappy thing you saw when I rode out to your place. LOVE the new bike. Came with grip warmers so riding in the colder temps is no big deal. :) And my friend Alex has a Ducati 898 that easily makes mine feel like a joke.

THIS isn't mine but it's very close, minus the ugly red bit on the rims.

I'd love to have a dedicated track bike but I'm not ready for that level of expense yet. New tyres every bloody trip as well as all the other maintenance is a bit much.

I try not to think about the consequences of mistakes. I only hope that I'm going fast enough to vapourise myself instead of the other possibilities....

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -