HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT - iPhone apps

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Pat Clancy

2/17/14 5:28 PM

OT - iPhone apps

I finally upgraded to a smartphone - an iPhone 5S, and I'm looking for app suggestions. I'm retired, so I don't need anything business related unless its use overlaps into the personal. They can be for most any other purpose, serious or entertainment. Maybe even cycling!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

2/17/14 7:59 PM

Strava. Chive. ;) (register to get full content), Pinterest (it is not just for ladies anymore)

Star Walk is great if you are a stargazer at all.

Weatherbug is the best weather app. I have found it's predictions to be the most accurate out there.

For Strava get a HRM (Bluetooth)

greglepore

2/18/14 8:13 AM

Pocket tools-flashlight, level, inclinometer, conversion function, pretty darn useful.

I like the Wunderground app for weather.

I use Wahoo for cycling, but have the little RFLKT computer for the bars.

PLee

2/18/14 10:25 AM

Google Maps, compass.

I travel quite a bit and use WorldMate to track travel reservations and schedules. I fly Delta a lot and use their app which keeps me up to date with any issues like delays, schedule changes, gate changes, etc.

Shazam to identify songs. A QR code reader to scan all those square bar codes popping up all over the place. Vivino is good for wine lovers.

Reply to topic    

April

2/18/14 12:36 PM

wunderground

quote:
I like the Wunderground app for weather.

Does it have things not on the regular (mobile) page?

Or is it just a more friendly interface?

Andy M-S

2/18/14 12:56 PM

Wunderground

The Weather Underground site has been my go-to for well over a decade. And we're talking about riding bicycles in the Midwest for much of that. Simply put, I don't think there's a better way to find out what the weather is going to be.

henoch

2/18/14 2:04 PM

Tune in is a good app for listing to many radio stations.
Your local NPR station might have an app. MapQuest has a good app.
Yelp.

Reply to topic    

April

2/18/14 4:04 PM

wunderground

I know the site, I'm asking about the app

greglepore

2/18/14 6:00 PM

Can't say, have never used the mobile site.

Second the vote for tune in. I don't even use the public radio player app or my local public music radio (wxpn) app as they're available on tune-in, and tune in allows me to select bitrate.

ErikS

2/18/14 6:51 PM

I like iTunes Radio. Good music based on what I like.

April

2/18/14 6:59 PM

How much data do you use with the streaming music?

ErikS

2/18/14 7:34 PM

All the time. I have unlimited data. Rarely purchase anymore.

greglepore

2/19/14 7:10 AM

Streaming music doesn't use tons, I I'd stream a couple hours a day and was never over my limit (2gB? if I remember). Don't stream much else though.

April

2/19/14 8:55 AM

hmm, I might give it a try.

Not so much music, but radio station I don't get good reception of.

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

2/19/14 12:41 PM

You might try the "My Radar" app

Gives real time radar. Very good. I have used in on many occasions. Once a race was being delayed due to strong storm Tstorm cells moving into he area. I was able to check it out and determine my warm up window. Another time I was out on a ride on a day with forecasted heavy t storms. When the wind suddenly picked up I was able to check the local radar right on my bike.... also for the other thread "Public Radio" is a good app as well for public radio streaming

Reply to topic    

April

2/19/14 2:36 PM

I think wunderground's radar map is only 5 (or 15? I forgot) minutes delayed, which is sufficient for me so far.

On second thought, I might give real time radar a try, if it has better location resolution (so I can zome in to my location).

Mmm...something slightly off the tangent. How do you get all your apps back when changing phones?

Steve B.

2/19/14 3:17 PM

If you are changing to another iPhone then backing up via iTunes will have the apps loaded onto the new device. Or at leas that's how it worked when I added an iPad mini, iTunes ported over all my apps. It was painless. This also works with the iCloud, though there are data limits in the cloud.

As to apps, Weatherbug is my favorite, has local radar and very good local conditions. It let's you save other locations as well.

Endomondo has been my training log, I find the privacy treatment is better then Strava.

Other app's, Google Maps, Chrome, Drive all work very well. Adobe reader, Converter +, Calender + (not free but worth it), PC Calc Lite, Best Timer, iExit - uses locations to tell you what's available on highway exits. Find My iPhone, Mag. Lite (uses the camera as a magnifying glass),

Reply to topic    

Evan Marks

2/20/14 10:00 PM

Dropbox. LoseIt! BodyFate. Sixpoint BeerFinder. SoundHound. Fake-a-Call. SayHi. PointInside. And last but certainly not least, The New York Times, pricey and worth it to be able to read any part of the paper, anywhere including the subway or on a plane, without any signal once the daily download is complete.

Reply to topic    

henoch

2/21/14 7:58 AM

NY Times

Yes that is one that I use almost daily as well but forgot to mention.
BTW not sure what the cost is for the digital only version, but if you get a print subscription even the cheapest one (which I think is Sunday only) you can get the full 7 day digital version for free, just a FYI.

Reply to topic    

Doug Turney

2/28/14 12:32 PM

Some more apps

Glympse and iExit.

Glympse is great for riding and adds a level of safety. From the app you can plan a route and then send an invite for someone to track your progress. The other person only has to have access to the internet and you can control how long the other person can track you. The tracking is only about 30 seconds behind and shows your progress on a map. I used it once on long drive back from Western PA and when I stopped at rest stop I could see my walking speed displayed. Great for meeting up with other people when you know how close they are to the meeting spot. Or if you have teenage drivers it's a good way of keeping an eye on their driving. I haven't used it with my kids yet because they haven't given me reason to but they know I could require them to Glympse me.

The other other is iExit which tells you what's at the upcoming exit, how far off the exit it is and also provides you distance to the next exit. Great for traveling families.

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

2/28/14 2:22 PM

Forgot about this one

Road ID - Good if you ride alone, lots. Family and friends can track you and you can set it if you stop for too long (like you get hit by a car) it will notify them where you are...just don't take too long pee stops.....

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/road-id/id569352341?mt=8

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -