Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

This ice storm sucked

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

2/13/14 4:08 PM

This ice storm sucked

Dangerous iced roads with no plows or salt, half the day without power, others expected to be without for up to a week. No snow for Chester to play in either. Just ice and sleet with a few light flurries.

Those you who live up north have the infrastructure to support this stuff so it has little impact on y'all. Not so much here, we get shut down.

Roads will be treacherous in the morning with the melt.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

2/13/14 4:14 PM

I don't think anyplace is very good dealing with ice. We got a lot more snow out of this than was predicted, but its not ice. Ice takes out power lines worse than wet snow, and the outtages are so widespread it will be bad for a lot of people.

Steve B.

2/13/14 4:20 PM

"Those you who live up north have the infrastructure to support this stuff so it has little impact on y'all. Not so much here, we get shut down. "

If you are talking about electrical distribution, outside of NYC, whose systems are underground - mostly, we have the same above-ground system you have. Witness Hurricane Sandy where a million ?, were without power for up to a few weeks.

We've been lucky is all. Today, on the south shore of L.I., it was 6-8 (or 11 in some spots) of snow, followed by 34 degrees and rain. It didn't freeze and was pretty windy so a lot of the wet snow got pushed off the branches and didn't seem to cause much problem, other then it's heavy and wet and hard to move. Not as many power outages locally from what I'm seeing on the news. Knock, Knock.

It is a friggin mess out though and another 4 inches due tonight.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

2/13/14 5:32 PM

Good luck with it

Ice storms are bad. The idea that they have little impact in the north is wrong though. We had a bad ice storm years ago and we were without power for 3-4 days, others for up to a couple weeks. 1/2 day without power, I probably wouldn't even remember that the next week. Lots of people have generators just for this purpose.

We're getting a lot of snow, it may turn to freezing crap for awhile, we'll see.

Stay safe and off the roads.

Reply to topic    

ErikS

2/13/14 5:38 PM

I stayed home other than a drive of two miles to check on my parents. With the power back on I knocked out a P90X workout. Brutal for a cyclist/runner.

Much of it melted off the roads but black ice will be sketchy in the AM. I am going in later to work just in case.

Sparky

2/13/14 6:02 PM

Winter showed up here and snowed for a few days and all melted quickly with a jolt of rain and not freezing temp. So 4 day winter event.

Sorry for you easterners this year...

mfurtick

2/13/14 9:01 PM

'This ice storm sucked '

Agree, I work for an electric utility so its been a long week already. Two days getting ready and now working to restore power. Have seen a lot of serious damage but thankfully my town (and Erik's) came out pretty well compared to others.

Wife and daughter are going stir crazy.

Mark

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/13/14 10:00 PM

They had an over night ice issue and some outages, but it warmed and the ice turned to rain and melted it all away. If it had gotten colder, with the rain continuing the way it did from the start of the snow days... it would not have been pretty. But it was over the weekend with Thurs and Friday getting in on the commutes on the front side. The Monday morning was a little bad, Elaine said the AWD Equinox actually slipped and she had to get a running start to get into the parking lot. 90% of the folks parked on the street as they could not get into the lot. No plowing either, and apparently patients turn back and went home when not being able to get into the lot with all the street parking taken up.. yada.

So you all don't think it is all peaches this year here.
But it is back to the 50s highs again, it hit 56 today. Long sleeve jersey, sleeveless vest, tights and open finger gloves for me today. ;) Managed 32-3 miles, yum.

April

2/13/14 10:08 PM

Well, we who live up north do deal with ice "better" but it's far from great. In fact, it's only very slightly better. That is, ice on the roads are better handled, due to having more salt trucks and plows. On the other hand, ice on the south will typically just melt away shortly anyway.

Probably a bigger advantage up north is more people seen enough of it to know to stay home, so fewer morons to clog up the already hazardous roads.

But when it comes to power lines, we're in exactly the same mess! Manhattan has all its powerlines underground, which overall is better. The rest of NYC is the same as other city/villages, ice weight down tree limbs which take out lines.

Still, since the roads do get back to drivable state in a more predictable timeframe, at least the power company can start fixing the demage earlier. well, sometimes.

dfcas

2/14/14 10:22 AM

We have a winter weather advisory for more snow tonight. Yeah.

Steve B.

2/14/14 3:43 PM

My habit is to run my snow thrower dry of gas after use (Ethanol), as in the past 14 years at my current house, it's often a month between snow storms.

Not this year.

Reply to topic    

April

2/14/14 5:42 PM

Saw quite a sight on the highway this morning... a line of almost 20 utility trucks motoring north!

Don't know if it's the northern states' utility guys heading home after helping out in the southern states, or NY area utility guys heading north to help out those still under the snow gun (I would guess the former)

Pat Clancy

2/15/14 5:20 PM

Snow fatigue is setting in

It's Saturday evening, 2/15. We're on our third snowstorm of the week, not counting the fact that the second one had two distinct stages about 12 hours apart. The forecasters are still undecided if the storm track will bring us merely 2 to 4 inches in central CT or significantly more. I guess Rhode Island, Cape Cod, and the Maine coast are going to see a foot or more. Oy, I'm tired of snow blowing and shoveling.

dan emery

2/15/14 6:08 PM

Plenty o' snow

We're supposed to get 6-10", but if the line shifts a bit we could get more. Midcoast and Downeast may get 2'. Between shoveling, roof raking and snowshoe paths for the dogs, I get a good workout just doing "chores." Should get back in woods tomorrow too. I like it!

Reply to topic    

ErikS

2/15/14 6:21 PM

I cut wood all day from the trees and limbs I had come down. I got about a 3/4 of a truck load from it.

April

2/16/14 10:06 AM

Re: Snow fatigue is setting in

I'm with Pat.

Send the snow up north! I'll drive there if I want to ski it. There's no mountains down here to take advantage of it (not with the layer of crusty ice on top anyway)

Snow good, ice bad. (there's a giant 'ice ridge' at my garage entrance, from the water dripping down from the roof and collecting on the driveway)[/quote]

dan emery

2/16/14 10:53 AM

Good snow, bad ice

The storm went further out to sea than expected, so we only got about 2" of snow. I'd rather we got the 10". I went snowshoeing back in the woods this am, and there was the 2" over icy crust, with about 10" of soft snow under that. So every step breaks the crust, and then you have to be careful to clear the crust when you lift the shoe or you fall. Fun- NOT!

I set off on my normal perimeter loop, thought of turning back because It was so hard, but then thought this is a great workout (sort of like climbing Mt Washington way undergeared), and if I can just get through it I can spend the rest of the day lying on the couch, watching basketball and the Olympics, and consuming as much food, caffeine and alcohol as I choose. So that got me through it, and now I have a license to veg out the rest of the day.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/16/14 11:01 AM

"license to veg out the rest of the day."

Enjoy!

I clearly do not belong posting in this thread. Mid 40^ 20+ MPH windy ride a little later. Tailwind through a 5 mile section on the return is fun big ringing it with low watts and high speed. But a lot of head and cross winds, fun too for a good workout.
Wish you snow bounders where here. ;)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -