Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

My new bike
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Jesus Saves

1/29/14 3:15 PM

just brainstorming

Regarding the rider preference of not needing to actually pedal in tandem, is it remotely possible, as another solution, to engineer a dual rear freewheel hub? That is aside from rear drop out spacing issues of a stock frame and economic issues like too small of a market for custom/new tool & die machining, testing, etc. If so, that would solve chain/transmission strength concerns.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/29/14 5:19 PM

Any concerns of out of phase crank arms and strikes?
Or is this the trade off for the luxury? How is the BB height as compared to a 700c tandem?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

sandiway

1/29/14 10:24 PM

quote:
is it remotely possible, as another solution, to engineer a dual rear freewheel hub?

That's an interesting idea. Tandems already have pretty wide rear dropouts, typically 145mm and max 160mm.

You can pedal in sync or out of sync if you want. da Vinci Designs can also lock out the ICS freewheel for those who don't like it. Out of sync can feel a bit weird at first. The stoker can decide if he/she wants to sync up.

Last Saturday, I stood on the pedals for a few moments to stretch my back and get my butt off the saddle. She just kept pedaling. This is the beauty of the ICS. Either rider can take momentary breaks and keep their legs and butt feeling fresh!

I'm not sure if she is a true spinner. Time will tell. Myself, I've always been a higher-cadence kind of a guy.

I don't know if the BB height differs significantly between the 26' and 700c versions. With respect to cornering, the stoker should be aware of pedal strike possibilities. In cornering, the stoker needs to learn not to upset the balance of the bike anyway. So it's likely the pedals will be up at the same time.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -