Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Windiest Ride of my cycling life!
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

1/23/14 5:30 PM

Windiest Ride of my cycling life!

Last east bound segment on return was straight into the wind. Good thing it was straight on too. Would have got blown over.

Literally, during gusts in my 39/25 I felt like I was pushing a 53/15 at 30 MPH TTing. Good thing I took a geared bike.

Great day to be out, so no complaints, but less than 30mile ride felt like a 50. ;)

Last edited by Sparky on 1/23/14 6:32 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

1/23/14 5:59 PM

On the Rockpile

You get some wind at times above treeline on Mt Washington. Once I had to put my foot down because I literally could not propel the bike forward. I was not tired or weak, the headwind literally stood me up in my tracks. Later in the same ride I put my foot down again because I was being blown sideways off a hairpin. Only two times I have put a foot down in 12 times up. I've also seen guys literally get blown over. Once I went around a turn away from the wind and it felt like someone was shoving me in the back.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/23/14 6:31 PM

Took the Scott, it had the HED Deep and Jet on it when I took it down. I popped on some Bontrager Race-X-Lites, good freaking thing! The north and south secgments had some cross winds that where hitting my fat ars [torso of a sail] and pushing me every which way, including loose.

There is a spot maybe 10 miles NE east of that east bound segment before turning south. It is on the Gorge right where the river goes from SW to West, and the wind goes pretty much straight SW at that bend in the river. The Vista House sits a top the cliff/bluff there and last weather system had some 140 MPH gusts recorded. Bet that has nothing on Mt Washington at times. ;O

I have not been in puddle jumpers for a while, so I am rusty and guesstimating gusts anymore. But I am sure a few were @ least 30 today. I had more numb hands from the death grip syndrome than any ride I can remember. Still enjoyed the day/ride immensely.

Vista House, lens point NE up the river.

Last edited by Sparky on 1/23/14 7:14 PM; edited 1 time in total

dan emery

1/23/14 6:42 PM

Comparative wind speed

The highest speed recorded on the Rockpile is 231 mph. There have been various issues as to whether this is the highest speed recorded anywhere, not sure where all that stands now.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

1/23/14 7:08 PM

Yesterday it was -5° in the morning, the high 13°. Today's high was 16° and it's 9° and snowing this evening. I'd be willing to put up with some wind if it was warmer.

Sparky

1/23/14 7:17 PM

"I'd be willing to put up with some wind if it was warmer"

No complaint from me, it made for a harder workout in a shorter window of time really.

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

1/23/14 7:48 PM

It is too cold for me here in SC. That along with work and school has sidelined my riding and running. Wind too.

Sparky

1/23/14 8:22 PM

Erik, I noticed on Stava being I had put you as a watched member you are hitting other bricks in the mean time. ;)

sanrensho

1/24/14 2:50 AM

Sparky and Tim B, added you on Strava. Not sure why I wasn't following you before.

Reply to topic    

ErikS

1/24/14 3:37 PM

Folks, I have been working 10hrs a day, going to school 4 nights a week, statistics, chemistry and macroeconomics. And it ended up being 17f this AM in the dark outside doing EOD work today. My bike, when right now? I run and lift maybe twice a week if I am lucky. I am about to go nuts.

I have been running some up until the semester started and work turned nutty. Slow though......

Never mock a guy who goes to yoga and Pilates classes. You may not understand.

April

1/24/14 9:31 PM

understand...

quote:
Never mock a guy who goes to yoga and Pilates classes. You may not understand

The yoga? Or the company in yoga class? ;-)

ErikS

1/25/14 5:28 AM

Actually both. I truly enjoy practicing yoga. I wish it was available on the weekends at my Y. It was but they cut the classes.

Last edited by ErikS on 1/25/14 12:32 PM; edited 1 time in total

Sparky

1/25/14 11:12 AM

Well, enjoy whatever you fit in. Sounds like a pretty full plate there. ;)

dan emery

1/25/14 5:57 PM

Understand?

You mean you'd kick my butt with your flexibility and core strength? Maybe so...

Seriously, in your shoes I think I'd look at dialing back the school schedule a bit. No way I could do all that stuff at the same time. More power to you if you can.

Reply to topic    

ErikS

1/25/14 7:06 PM

I have to get done, these three classes and then ONE more!!

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

1/26/14 9:29 AM

+1 on the yoga

Recommended. Been doing it for a few years. Helped when I got back after my accident, flexability gained allows you to get low and aero on the bike and recruit more power to the pedals while remaking low in the saddle through the core work...and you feel good after a class....

Reply to topic    

April

1/26/14 10:30 AM

Yoga

Meant to try it.

Yesterday was the day I signed up to go to my first class. They found a crack in one of my rim (car, not bike). Too late to get a replacement rim delivered. By the time I got a rental car (insurance covers), it's 1/2 hr past when I needed to get down there!

Not a good start of the year for me. Try to jiggle too many things and ended up not getting any of them done properly...

ErikS

1/26/14 1:53 PM

I bet you will love it. Don't knock the "hokey" side of it. The meditation is good for you too. I try to sneak in about 20 minutes a day.

rickhardy

1/27/14 3:44 PM

Yoga

http://www.wenzelcoaching.com/blog/the-benefit-of-yoga-for-cyclists/

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

1/27/14 5:48 PM

I've been practising Iyengar yoga on a daily basis for about 40 years, starting when I was at university, and for several years I worked as a demonstrator at my teacher's yoga classes (I would stand out the front and do the pose to give the students an idea of what it should look like).

If you can't get to classes, there are a couple of good instructors who have DVDs available through Gaiam - Rodney Yee and Suzanne Deason: http://www.gaiam.com/yoga-videos/ . You wonldn't go far wrong following either of those.

As for windy days, in the TT at the national masters championships a few years back we had a really evil headwind for the outward leg on a pretty flat 25km out and back course. It took me 25 minutes to get to the turn and 14 minutes to come back...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/27/14 6:27 PM

On a less windy day previously, we did a 4 mile segment slight upgrade and into the wind, 12-20 maybe, 19 minutes, but not trying to go fast. On the return 11min 26s for the same spot in reverse. But I think the SS 67-8 gear inches slowed me more going. And the return I almost got airborn a few time spinning faster than my circles allowed for this early in the year.

dan emery

1/27/14 6:32 PM

Yikes

That sounds like a honking headwind, Nick. When I used to ride tts, I found the wind was my friend. On an out and back tt, I always did better (relatively) on the leg into the wind. Being fat, I guess I could bull through the wind better than the skinny guys.

I have two excellent yogis in my house. They specialize in Downward Dog.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/27/14 8:39 PM

"I have two excellent yogis in my house. They specialize in Downward Dog."

If you mean your Pups, I gotta ask... is there is a outward farting dog yoga position?

dan emery

1/28/14 5:52 AM

Dog Yoga

I dunno about that one, but I'm sure you're familiar with the classic Greyhound pose "Dead Cockroach."

Reply to topic    

rickhardy

1/28/14 8:03 AM

Dead cockroach pose

When looking for a belly rub????

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -