HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Worth a mention, Wound-Up/6800 wheels Combo issue

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

1/16/14 1:16 PM

Worth a mention, Wound-Up/6800 wheels Combo issue

Saw this in an ad. Just in case someone here might get caught out similarly, I thought I'd post it.

Ad was for: 11speed Shimano WH-6800 Wheelset

"My new build, full 6800 Mechanical 11-speed was to be topped off with the matching wheelset. Unfortunately, after I received my Wound-Up fork for the build, I discovered that the hub flange interfered with the fork blade, thus forcing me to find another 11spd compatible wheelset for my build."

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dddd

1/16/14 1:48 PM

It sounds like Shimano used a wider flange spacing as part of their optimal design, but that Wound-Up either isn't in a solid enough industry-cooperation network or was unwilling or unable to have their inventory maintain real-time compatibility with newer wheel designs.
Perhaps though it's just that Shimano has more clout(?), or that an older version of the fork was supplied?

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

1/16/14 7:53 PM

11 speed fork

Since when does the front wheel need to be 11 speed compatible? Since when is there an 11 speed front wheel? I'm guessing this is all about the inscrutable industry trend to make forks (and rear triangles) so tight that you can't even fit a 25 mm tire in there.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

2/2/14 12:47 AM

I have a question in a similar vein - is there any data anywhere showing what aftermarket C-F forks have sufficient clearance for 28mm tyres. I've decided that I should replace my fork, having crashed the present one a few months ago, and the bike shops in this town don't keep any stock of replacement forks. They'll happily order what ever I want, but I don't want to order a fork and then find that I'm limited to 25mm or even 23mm tyres. And one brand that I know doesn't cut it in this respect is Wound-Up, as I tried my existing front wheel with 28mm tyre in a friend's bike with a Wound-Up fork, and the tyre hits the underside of the fork crown...

I'm after a fork that's 1-1/8" both top and bottom, not one of the new-fangled units made for a larger diameter bottom bearing.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

2/2/14 10:52 AM

What is your current fork?

Perhaps an exact replacement is available. Also, do your tires measure a true 28mm when mounted?

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

2/2/14 12:46 PM

The current fork is an ITM, but I can't remember the exact model, as I bought it about a dozen years ago. I had a look on the ITM web site, but it's not among the current models.

And yes, the tyres measure a true 28mm when I put the calipers on them - they're Schwalbe Ultremo ZX 700x28.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/2/14 1:20 PM

I just tried a 32x700 Nimbis tire/wheel in a loose AME Alpha and a Look HCS here. AME, no way.

But the HSC3 the wheel although VERY close could spin. Big tire too.

I ran 28s Conti GP4 All seasons on Open Pros on the Strong with the HCS with ample clearance. Assuming the tire is higher mounted on a open pro than a 23mm wide rim. I have a steel fork which could fit a 32 wth some room on the Strong now. Since building the ENO rear wheel and making it my SS bike now.

I'd say wider rim and bigger tire may have the tire closer just not on the top. The Scott with a 25 tire on a 23mm rim is very close to the chain stays for example. Point being the way the inside of the crown is shaped may make the tire closer on the edges of the tread and not just the height being of issue.

I could stick a 28C in the AME and shoot a pic, I think it will fit, close but fit. In fact I was using a 25mm tire on the A23 wider rim on the AME, and the 25C Conti 4KS sits out at almost 28. But for 28s I only have the GP4 All season as far as my comments as experience.

Brian Nystrom

2/3/14 6:28 AM

Try contacting ITM...

...and other fork manufacturers. They'll be able to tell you what will fit in their forks

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/3/14 1:22 PM

Some maybe helpful pics:

All season has 500 miles approx on it, the 4Ks 300, the Axial Pro zero miles.

As I expected, the wide rim has the top of the tire less close to the crown than the edges by 1-2mm I'd say.

You can kind of see the flat spot starting on the AME w/500 miles 28C GP4 All Season due to the shot and being closer to the crown... I'd say a new 28C All season Conti on the narrow rim and the AME would be like 2mm clearance at most.

None of these pictures has more than 3.5 mm clearance top or side for reference.

Nick Payne

2/3/14 3:06 PM

Thanks for those photos. Useful.

Reply to topic    

mag7

2/3/14 5:25 PM

something I never thought much about re: clearance with my Wound Up fork that wounded me up on the ground and in the hospital for a week is the potential for a flat and roll of off the tire and/or tube....makes for an unwelcome brake pad as tube and rubber gathers around the crown of the fork leading to the unmistakable sound of scratching rim on the road right before your skin burns off into the asphalt.
Anyone want the fork I'll sell cheap and make a 50% donation to the forum.
As far as I know and according to my LBS, the fork and bike suffered little damage as my body took the hit in my crash of 2011. Fork came from Seven which I replaced with a Seven 5e which has plenty of clearance.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -