HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

gov shut down, eh?
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
PLee

10/6/13 6:56 AM

Voters have amazingly short memories, and the GOP is counting on it. If the Congressional elections were this year rather than next, I don't think we would have seen a shutdown.

The GOP also taught Obama last time that negotiating with them doesn't get him anything. Once burned, twice shy.

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

10/6/13 8:08 AM

Kirk sez.....

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/6/13 9:31 AM

"Once burned, twice shy"

re-negotiating after the fact [by that I mean once an agreement was made] in the few cases I have had the experience was the last time I'd deal with someone.

I think it is more Fuck you than twice shy, at least it is for me.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Jesus Saves

10/6/13 10:35 AM

If the rampant gerrymandering were fixed, that would solve a lot of problems for our country, including this one. That's not likely to happen much like Congress forgoing their own pay, when they decide where the lines are drawn for their own congressional districts.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

10/6/13 7:17 PM

Choosing voters

quote:
If the rampant gerrymandering were fixed

We currently have a situation where the voters don't choose their politicians, but rather the politicians choose their voters. It's got to stop before we can make progress.

Reply to topic    

Pat Clancy

10/7/13 5:42 AM

XKCD's take

http://xkcd.com/1274/

DPotter

10/7/13 6:59 AM

Good ole xkcd!

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

10/8/13 3:22 AM

I was called back to work. My job is directly related to readiness.

Others were not. Environmental and biologist weren't along with public affairs and others.

We have an extensive environmental office that supports over 15k acreas of woodland that is used for an impact range but also successfully managest the habitat for wildlife and some endangered species.

daddy-o

10/8/13 4:41 AM

Good to hear the news, hope the govt gets it together.

We have to admire their dual use land management: impact range and endangered species habitat.

Does "impact" involve artillery?

ErikS

10/8/13 4:51 PM

Nope, just aircraft training ordnance. Nothing high order at all.

I often do work with convoy training and CAS exercises using bug eaters from NC out there and I am a hunting guide on the land as a volunteer.

We hunt to maintain a healthy habitat and to keep populations in check. It is fully managed using a program known as QDM. We have healthy deer populations and some of the biggest bucks in the state.

All proceeds from the hunter's minimal $20 cost go back into seed and such for food plots and to purchase management equipment for the land. It saves the gov money and supports the land a win for all in my book. Venison is tastety too.

One of our former posters here has conferred with me about managment practices at a research facility in VA. They were not following good management practices and had huge problems. I think it is fixed there now.

The endangered species here is the Red Cockaded Woodpecker. A pretty cool little bird with some interesting social aspects.

Paul Datars

10/8/13 5:46 PM

My buddy from grade school, the guy with the huge number of guns, he loves to hunt and when asked how it is he can shot a poor helpless deer, he responds with, "Because they taste real good." :-)

ErikS

10/8/13 6:31 PM

Totally organic, low in fat and when cooked correctly tastes great.

I have hunted all my life, rifle, bow and birds using a shotgun. Hunting is part of who I am.

What I take, gets eaten by my family or others who ask for it.

I see hunting as grocery shopping with cool antlers on occasion.

Last edited by ErikS on 10/9/13 3:41 AM; edited 1 time in total

Sparky

10/8/13 6:41 PM

Never game hunted. but have cooked plenty of venison and elk. And have butchered one deer. It was a lot of work. ;)

daddy-o

10/8/13 6:54 PM

"Impact" for me involves the grill of my car, twice so far and a half dozen near misses. Deer are not endangered, they're a nuisance. They literally aim for the car. When we drive out the predators, we need to find an alternative. The hunt is one and better than the commute. I've noticed the vultures are doing well lately.

ErikS

10/9/13 3:44 AM

Exactly.

You can have ethical, environmentally minded hunters or packs of wolves. Your choice.

Wild wolves eat pets and people if given a chance, that is what they do.

Marc N.

10/9/13 6:43 AM

Not really true

Wolves have a rep that they don`t deserve. An unprovoked attack on humans by a non rabid wolf is extremely rare, and of the carnivorous animals their size or larger, they are among the least threatening to people.

Andy M-S

10/9/13 9:48 AM

Marc

That's my understanding as well. I have read Farley Mowat's book on wolves, and have a bit of experience beyond that. They are primarily--and the key word is primarily--fans of smaller prey.

Steve B.

10/9/13 3:27 PM

Be careful using Farley Mowat as an authority about wolves. Many naturalists involved in wolf studies have pretty much described "Never Cry Wolf" as a work of fiction. Good read that it may be (and I liked the movie), but they pretty much debunked Mowat's that wolves survived mostly on mice, among other issues with the book.

Wolves will mostly prey on larger game when they can, it's cost effective in terms of calories gained versus expended. They really like cows as many western ranchers are aware, especially in area's where wolves have been re-introduced, New Mexico and Arizona being one of the more controversial examples.

Still, there are a lot of wolves in eastern Quebec, where they don't seemingly have issues with dairy cow or pet predation and there's talk of re-introducing to the Adirondacks in NY and the northern Maine woods. They would be a real help in Maine keeping the deer and Moose population in check as some of these area's are not hunted much due to their remoteness.

Reply to topic    

ErikS

10/9/13 7:06 PM

They absolutely eat deer size prey and larger.

Sparky

10/9/13 8:08 PM

I saw a cow they got at in TN. The owner told me they nip in numbers biting between the rear legs until the cow bleeds out and then have dinner. I did not see much as it was pretty bloated when it got dragged up for the proper commission to come get it.

ErikS

10/9/13 8:35 PM

Yotes will get deer the same way. Shot a yearling 2 years ago because of a huge hunk of abscessed flesh on it's rump from a yote attack.

Andy M-S

10/9/13 8:44 PM

Hmm

Mowat is a family friend from Waaaaaaaaaaay back, so perhaps I'm biased. I suspect that wolves will eat just about anything available, and I'm sure domesticated livestock present a tempting target; still, Mowat's work is much more serious than was represented by the film.

I have heard that the reintroduction of wolves has dramatically changed the ecosystem in Yellowstone, for example; the deer move off of the grasses for better cover, the grasses grow back, and so does the small critter population. Over time, it will be interesting to see which the wolves prefer to invite for dinner...it may be targets of opportunity all the way down.

Steve B.

10/9/13 10:33 PM

Andy, not biased at all.

I like a lot of Mowats books, just finished "Grey Seas Under" having read it maybe 30 years ago. Great tale. So was "The Boat who wouldn't float" as well as "A Whale for the Killing". Good writing.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -