Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

gov shut down, eh?
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

10/1/13 6:01 PM

gov shut down, eh?

These tools need to all be fired!!!!!!!!

If this shut down all their salaries how much you want to bet it would never happen??

going to stop my rant there...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

10/1/13 6:35 PM

I am out of work for now. Being a federal employee sucks. I can't get my degree fast enough so I can have it as a note on the bottom of my resume.

I am one of 900,000 federal worker who were sent home today.

Let's get this shit straight, hard working viable federal employees get sent home yet welfare recipients keep getting their checks and as part of my furlough paperwork was the stuff I needed to apply for unemployment.

Anyone want to hire an out of work federal employee with experience in the aerospace world, sciences, and emergency management exercise development and evaluation at the senior leadership levels. (General/Colonel, O7/6)? Of course I am versed in all computer OS platforms, Apple, MS and Linux builds.

I am in phenomenal shape and healthier than most 25 year olds so don't let my 47 year old age scare you off!

Serious, you want a resume, ask? I have one ready all the time and I will move.

Sparky

10/1/13 7:00 PM

Sorry Erik, my Sis too.

Enjoy the pavement, time for double centuries??
Your job will start back up pretty quick, no?

ErikS

10/1/13 7:08 PM

Unknown, when we go back.

Yep, more brick and spins. Lemons, lemonade ya know.

Sparky

10/1/13 7:10 PM

With you off work, Strava may have to upgrade their servers. ;)

ErikS

10/1/13 7:23 PM

AM yoga and lift followed by 10k brick or 40k ride, whichever floats me at the time.

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

10/2/13 5:19 AM

Commentary from up Dan's way

Reply to topic    

ErikS

10/2/13 8:31 AM

At least it is hunting season, more time in the woods.

I am going deer hunting Friday.

dan emery

10/2/13 4:39 PM

Well not bad in one respect

The Cadillac Challenge Century on Mt Desert is this weekend, much of it in Acadia Nat Park, I understand that it will go on but there will be no traffic on the Park Loop Rd etc. because of the the Park closure. So that could be the ride of a lifetime, as the Loop Rd is gorgeous, but normally you have to dodge tourists who randomly stop their cars to gawk. It is a great century if anyone is interested, I've ridden it several times but not this year as the Dempsey Challenge is the following week, plus I've got a million things to do before leaving for San Diego Tuesday. Don't worry about registering, all you need to do is show up.

As to the shutdown in general, I don't work for the Feds, but 100% of my work opposes them, and they cut 100% of my fee checks. I don't think writing checks for lawyers will get priority during the shutdown. For example I have a motion for approval of a fee pending in fed ct. I doubt the gov will oppose it, but I got a call from a govt lawyer the other day who said he had to file for a stay on their response until the shutdown ends. He said there were only 3 lawyers on duty and hundreds of cases to manage. I said I wouldn't oppose the motion, as I figured it wouldn't do any good, plus I didn't want to bother filing a response. Then the motion was filed and it was screwed up, which never would have happened normally. Plus my office called a local govt office, with which we have a great relationship, and was told they couldn't talk with lawyers during the shutdown...:)

Reply to topic    

mag7

10/2/13 5:53 PM

Smack dab in the middle of a Revolutionary War march to honor the Overmountain Men who turned the tide of success at the battle at Kings Mountain. We are slated to finish the 330 mile march on October 7th after 2 1/2 weeks at Kings Mountain National Military Park.
Regional newspaper and TV stations are all asking what we are going to do if we arrive to a closed gate....time will tell but suffice to say, when those men bought our freedom with their sweat and blood on that mountain, there was no NPS....we are all guests on that hallowed ground.

DPotter

10/4/13 7:14 AM

Man, I was enjoying the lack of controversial issues on the forum of late. I guess it couldn't last.

Reply to topic    

henoch

10/4/13 7:21 AM

I have to say, the tone of the discussion is very civilized.

Reply to topic    

ErikS

10/4/13 2:08 PM

No controversy. We all think the whole lot in DC are idiots. Left and right are guilty of this shit.

DPotter

10/4/13 2:14 PM

It's always fun until someone pokes an eye out.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

10/4/13 3:58 PM

Really?

>>No controversy. We all think the whole lot in DC are idiots. Left and right are guilty of this shit.<<

Speak for yourself, dude. I have no interest in discussing this issue here, but also don't want my opinion misstated by someone who doesn't know what it is.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

10/4/13 4:24 PM

I for one, and probably most of us here, were upset at how the gun control thread resulted in a lot of anger, name calling and general ill will towards our fellow cyclists here on CF, that we will hopefully refrain from letting commentary on a very heated issue get started and possibly out of control here. Lot's of other forums for that kind of crap.

I am also hoping some cool heads in DC get their act together and it ends soon, and feel for Eric's plight and hope he gets through it OK.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

10/4/13 5:14 PM

The grandstanding and insincerity cripples internal progress.

Our system relies on competition. The current politics are a result of a decades long effort to create safe congressional districts.

KerryIrons

10/4/13 7:23 PM

The solution

The solution is threefold:

Eliminate Gerrymandering (CA has done this with an independent commission to do redistricting).

Open primaries - the highest two vote getters go to the general election regardless of party. All candidates have to actually appeal to the middle instead of the fringe.

Funding disclosure - 48 hour disclosure of any contribution greater than (pick a number - $3K?) and the disclosure goes back to the actual source of the funds - no shell corporations or SuperPacs.

These three things would have it sorted in less than a decade. It's fringe politics that is at the heart of so many issues.

Reply to topic    

stan

10/4/13 10:15 PM

I've been though many of these. In the end they were an inconvenience and all federal employees got paid retroactively. But this time it looks and feels different. I can see this dragging on a long time with major harm to the economy. Many government contractors are furlough employees and they aren't getting paid. If this last weeks, which it looks like it might, it will be difficult for Congress to authorize pay for federal employees that haven't worked.

Reply to topic    

DPotter

10/5/13 6:59 AM

Ow- my eye!

Reply to topic    

ErikS

10/5/13 5:06 PM

Washington is full of assholes.

Nick Payne

10/5/13 6:41 PM

Well, there are a substantial proportion of our politicians who also come across as arseholes (I've had dealings with a few over the years), but very few of them seem to be such wackos as the US appears to be afflicted with.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/5/13 6:49 PM

If the GOP took the POTUS spot, the Tea Party would have been thrown under the bus.

I sure wish some real republicans would step up to the plate. But besides my Jersey boy, I don't know who it would be. ;) And I wonder if the GOP would sanction Cristie knowing he would not be controllable by the party. For what little I know about it all.

If there becomes a third democratic term for presidency, I wonder how long it will take for them to get back in.

KerryIrons

10/5/13 6:55 PM

Oh no you didn't!

quote:
it will be difficult for Congress to authorize pay for federal employees that haven't worked.

And just today the House passed a bill to pay all federal employees throughout the shutdown. These folks really know how to show us that they are clear thinkers. "We're not doing this to save money, we're just doing it to make a point."

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/5/13 7:01 PM

It is all just an effort in passive aggressive idiocy.

Seems like they are going to make sure the 2014 mid terms make them loose the congress with this stupidity. Why they would risk that I can not even imagine. Again 'what little I know' disclaimer..

Personally, I think it SUCKs that then I say 'they' it only includes one party. It should include them all or none...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -