HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Weight Weenies Rejoice

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave B

9/18/13 8:23 AM

Weight Weenies Rejoice

Look here: http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/09/18/ib13-fair-wheel-bikes-part-one-crumptons-8-88lb-race-road-bike-10-98lb-carbon-bmx-bike/#more-66415

For only about $20,000 one just like it can be yours.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

sandiway

9/18/13 12:59 PM

tubulars and unpadded saddle

Substitute a decent clincher wheelset and a padded saddle and see where it comes out now. I guess about 3 lbs more.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/18/13 1:13 PM

I porked up the Scott to over 15 with the A12 25C wheetset and a cheap cassette. Well not cheap, just not Dura Ace spensive. 105$sive... ;) Parts is parts, not counting the cost and weight of course.

104 gram cassette, eh? i think I out some wear on it just looking at the picture...

That 10 lb BMX is way cool if it will take a 6' drop without exploding.

Last edited by Sparky on 9/19/13 4:12 PM; edited 1 time in total

Dave B

9/19/13 7:28 AM

quote:
Substitute a decent clincher wheelset and a padded saddle and see where it comes out now. I guess about 3 lbs more.

Interesting observation from one of this forum's most dedicated weight weenies, at least in the past.

Even if you added a pair of wheels weighing 900 grams more and a 100 gm heavier saddle the overall weight would still be just over 11 pounds.

greglepore

9/19/13 4:05 PM

I can't speak for Sandi, but back in the day, you had to use stupid light parts to get to 14-15 lbs. Now, a cheap carbon bike with clinchers and normal D/A stuff weighs that. And the prices for the really light goodies are now thru the stratosphere-while a light wheelset used to be around 1k-1500, now we're talking 3k or more. Brakesets that are 750 and above are not unusual among the elite. The price of the game has gone up, and the light stuff still has all the usual performance compromises.

Sparky

9/19/13 4:15 PM

"Now, a cheap carbon bike with clinchers and normal D/A stuff weighs that"

And an XL size one at that... it is even a Clydesdale's game now, not just the folks riding 50CM bikes...

Brian Nystrom

9/20/13 5:52 AM

There's more that needs changing...

...for regular use. Specifically the alloy cassette and the rather flimsy-looking Tune chainrings. The cassette will just wear quickly, but I suspect that shifting with those rings will be compromised due to flex, which will likely cause chain rub under high loads, too. I question whether they would hold up to a heavier or more powerful rider at all.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

9/20/13 7:31 AM

quote:
There's more that needs changing for regular use.

Oh, no question this isn't a practical daily driver, it's really an illustration of what can be done these days if cost is ignored and some durability is sacrificed. What's amazing is that it can be done at all. As greglepore noted, only a few years ago you had to make the same sacrifices just to get under 15 pounds.

What this does show is how out of date the UCI 6.8 kg minimum weight regulation really is.

stan

9/20/13 2:00 PM

The one thing this and pretty much all light weight bikes don't include in their stated weights are pedals. That adds over 1/2 lb.

I got a new bike last year and was thrilled when the LBS posted on their website a pic of my bike before I picked it up as 13.5 lb. When I added pedals and bottle cages, it was over 14.1

Reply to topic    

Dave B

9/21/13 6:33 AM

Pedals

You can minimize the weight contribution of the pedals by using Speedplay's X-series Ti (150 gm/pair) or Zero Ti (164 gm/pr) or about 1/3 lb.

Sparky

9/21/13 9:11 AM

Keywin Ti Pedals also have a minimal weight addition, including cleats being light. As far as the Speedplays are concerned I thing the cleats and pedals together due to the adapter needed are not quite as light. But still similar to the keywins, albeit heavier IIRC. I do not know of any other pedal system as light as these two.

greglepore

9/21/13 11:50 AM

Bebops

Evan Marks

9/21/13 12:08 PM

bebops no more

I (sadly) gave 'em up. Needed a smaller recessed cleat, a smaller heat sink, to try to stay warm in the winter. So I have two pair of NIB Bebops (2nd generation from VP One). Anyone interested? Shoot me a message.

Reply to topic    

sandiway

9/21/13 3:18 PM

owned both

I've owned the bebops and the ti keywins. Keywins win IMHO.

The problem with the bebops is wear. Steel on steel. Keywins barely wear but are single-sided. Bebops are double-sided, a bit easier to stomp into.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/21/13 3:30 PM

I got some beBops on one of the incoming parts bikes recently. No cleats or I would have tried them out.

But I put them on Craigslist and they got scooped up but fast. Stainless it looked like...

Nick Payne

9/22/13 4:13 PM

Back in the 1980s I had a Campagnolo all-aluminium freewheel that I used only for big races. Came in its own special little tin and all. When paired with wheels using Mavic GEL280 rims, which also only came out for the big races, and a Super Record groupset on a Vitus Carbone frame, I had something that with full waterbottles only weighed about 18lbs. However, the wheels had to be re-trued after almost every race I used them in, and the Vitus eventually started coming apart where the carbon frame tubes were bonded into the bottom bracket. Light weight has become a bit more reliable over the years.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

9/22/13 4:18 PM

Campy Alloy Freewheel

I remember way back one of the bike mags had a project for a super light mountain bike. They put a Campy alloy freewheel on it. They took it out into the woods and as soon as they got into some muck the freewheel froze. I thought "I can make a bike out of air that will weigh nothing, and it will be just as practical."

Maybe I'll put some light pedals on my Tout Terrain, may bring the weight down to 33.5 lbs.

Reply to topic    

sandiway

9/22/13 6:39 PM

re: Campy Alloy Freewheel

Good story Dan!

I think I have something rarer than a Campy alloy freewheel. I have a genuine Mark Hoskins (weight-weenie) alloy freewheel! Never used. 9 speed.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Dave B

9/22/13 6:47 PM

Not Alone

quote:
Back in the 1980s I had a Campagnolo all-aluminium freewheel that I used only for big races...

Sun Tour also made an all-aluminum freewheel they called "Microlite" in the mid-80's. It didn't last long in either production or service.

dfcas

9/23/13 7:04 AM

I thought a Mark Hoskins freewheel weighed ZERO since it never arrived.:) BTW, he's back in the business selling hubs called C-4 or some such.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -