HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT: flight scheduling

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
KerryIrons

9/25/13 6:48 PM

OT: flight scheduling

It's the time of year when I start watching flight schedules and prices for my annual Utah ski trip (Feb 5-11 if anybody wants to try to connect) and I have a question for the more experienced fliers out there.

Our local airport used to have a convenient connection to SLC via MSP where I could catch a 7:40 AM flight and arrive SLC at 11:00 and be skiing on the afternoon ticket. In the past few years they have eliminated the flight so I have had to drive up to 2 hours to get the desired connection.

Last year I discovered that this AM flight was on the schedule when I first started looking for flights but then got dropped as the departure date got within 3 months or so. That flight is now on the schedule again at a reasonable price and I am tempted to book it on the off chance that they would run the flight if they got enough bookings or that they would let me rebook from another airport if they canceled it after I booked.

But I have this fear: that they would not let me change the departing airport but force me instead to take a late afternoon flight that connects to SLC late at night. My preferred alternative (a non-stop from DTW to SLC) is cheaper but involves a 2 hour drive on both ends of the trip but if they wouldn't let me rebook to that starting airport (or wanted to charge me $150 to rebook even though they canceled my flight) then I'm screwed.

Have any of you had experience with this kind of issue and what would be your advice?

Reply to topic    

Evan Marks

9/25/13 8:37 PM

"But I have this fear: that they would..."

...screw you somehow.

Stick with your gut feeling.

Reply to topic    

April

9/25/13 9:04 PM

quote:
or wanted to charge me $150 to rebook even though they canceled my flight) then I'm screwed.

I wouldn't think they can stick you with the change fee when they cancel the flight. You would most likely have the option to cancel it altogether. Not sure that will solve your problem though.

I've been on flights that got cancelled due to weather many times. I was always given the option to cancel with no penalty. Yes, they would offer the option to rebook for the next flight, or flights from nearby airport for no charge, but I wasn't obligated to take their offer.

When the cancellation isn't due to weather, I'm not sure what they might offer. But I think it's safe to assume you can cancel for no penalty.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -