Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Thinking about a tandem again
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sandiway

9/18/13 1:03 PM

quote:
I think we paid a premium price @ $1350.00, but pedals, rack & insulated bag, 4 bottle holders & bottles, a super nice blackburn pump, and the cateye with a dead battery included. And considering the replacement cost, we are happy with the cost thus far.

Congrats!

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/18/13 1:08 PM

BTW, How are you feeling April?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

April

9/18/13 3:48 PM

quote:
BTW, How are you feeling April?

Sustained by Advil, which is better than narcotics. (used it for a day, nasty stuff)

It's getting to the point of REALLY annoying. Since the pain is suppressed reasonably well, I get to feel depressed about not being able to enjoy this nice weather. And it'll get worse as the color comes on.

I know, I'm whining about things that aren't important. And it's not helped by the delay in getting the surgery done (lots of holidays in the past 2 weeks) and the doc being very conservative: no doing this and no doing that restrictions.

During the week, I have work to distract myself. When weekends comes around, not getting a clear direction on what I can do besides sitting at the couch feeling sorry about myself really gets to me... :-(

dan emery

9/18/13 4:44 PM

Hang in the April

It really hasn't been that long since the injury, and you did have surgery...

I know the frustration though. With my replaced hip it wasn't that bad, since I was working hard on rehab. But when I busted my wrist years ago and had a cast, I couldn't do anything that made me sweat, and that was really annoying.

Maybe in the meantime you can go out and walk, if nothing else.

As to direction, if you have any PT or OT, listen to them. They know more about recovery than the surgeons (my wife was an OT).

Don't do anything dumb, you really don't want them to go back in for a revision...:)

Good luck.

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

9/18/13 4:50 PM

Hang in there

I know EXACTLY how you feel having gone through months of inactivity and 6 months of PT 2 x per week to comeback....but remember all things must pass you can look forward to skiing dare I say????

Reply to topic    

April

9/18/13 5:08 PM

quote:
As to direction, if you have any PT or OT, listen to them. They know more about recovery than the surgeons (my wife was an OT).

Yes and no. I got a set of PT instructions when I got discharged. I've been doing them faithfully. The truth being, it took no time to finish all of them. There's no difficulty, no challenge.

In fact, daily living pushes the limit of what "not to do" (not on purpose). Can't help it. I live alone and there're things I just have to do that exceeds what the PT requires. Sometimes exceeds the restriction, again not on purpose! (e.g. no weight on the injured hand, well, I can't help it if I have to open a jar.. it may not be "weight" but the force on my 2 hands are a lot more than 1lb. And in a second, without even thinking, the jar laid open!)

quote:
Maybe in the meantime you can go out and walk, if nothing else.

One thing that's quite difficult to do is parking my car in tight spaces...

So it limits on where I can go.

Short term, my good arm is getting too much work and is acting up already (I've had wrist and elbow issue all along). How much longer it can handle the job of both arms is worrying me.

Medium term, 2-3 month down the line, I have another tricky problem. I'm having a bit of knee issue all of last year and the plan was I would limit myself to mostly "easy riding" this summer & fall to let it recover.

So I really don't want to run or even hike (walk, yes but not hike of any hilly terrain). But if I don't get to go outside now, I'm going to have a hell of a cabin fever come December/Janurary! No one would want to be within 10 mile of me come Februray!!! :-(

Last edited by April on 9/18/13 9:07 PM; edited 3 times in total

April

9/18/13 5:09 PM

quote:
you can look forward to skiing dare I say????

NOOO!!! Doc said no skiing!!!

That's about 95% the cause of my current foul mood!!!

mag7

9/18/13 8:21 PM

Group hug for April......on three.
Get your orthopod to issue a handicap sticker which can help with the parking issue.

April

9/18/13 8:25 PM

quote:
Get your orthopod to issue a handicap sticker which can help with the parking issue.

Tried, failed.

Also asked for home health aid (so I don't have to open jars), wouldn't budge.

I can get both for a broken leg. Not for a clavicle (nor broken arm either)

quote:
Group hug for April......on three.

Appreciate it. I'll gladly take a virtual one for now. (one or two of my firends hugged for real, that hurts!)

Sparky

9/19/13 10:01 AM

April, this was my answer to getting back on the bike sooner post clav. The pressure was worse on the aerobars and I took them off.

Does not help the skiing of course. But it seems with the hardware [plates, yes] you should be able to get some skiing in by season start, no?

April

9/19/13 12:24 PM

I'm not too crazy about getting back on the bike right away. By the time I'm out of the sling, it'll be the time of year I usually quit riding.

I just need something I can do outdoors but not stress my knees nor endanger the new clav too much.

Will try to get a meaningful chat with the ortho tomorrow (stitches coming out, but he's not a chatty fellow)

Sparky

9/19/13 1:50 PM

The hardware should make your bone bond faster. But at least 3-4 weeks I guess. Of course a subsequent fall is the real risk before your bone is totally healed. That is more like, what 6-8 weeks ?
Elaine is not here to consult. ;) Glad to hear you are able to aviod the pain/narc/meds. Simplifies recover IMO. When I broke my leg, it took 3-4 weeks before my Motrin change over attempts where ample. I was so relieved to get off the viko-dims.

Anyway, had some white seat I though would never see one of our bikes. The Capt seat was fine, Elaine hated the stoker seat in 3 seconds. One of those all foam cushy types. See if she like the Lady DragonFly Ti. Gotta dig up some SPD for the back. So glad she got acclimated to clipless before we did this. The front Fizik is comfortable, maybe I shoulda tried it on something sooner...

EDIT: Surprisingly, moved bars around and put the rack and rear pack on. SPDs front and back with all the cages it just over 40 lbs. [pump was not mounted] I am guessing the wheels with the World Class hubs may be the reason it is lower than the stock bike advertised weight [assuming smaller than this largest offering as well] even with STIs over stock bar cons.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -