HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

26" vs. 29" mountain bikes

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Pat Clancy

8/14/13 1:07 PM

26" vs. 29" mountain bikes

I've been thinking about getting a second mountain bike to keep at our lake cottage. There is a rail trail located near it that intersects lots of single track. Nothing too wild, but then I'm done with that - I'm too old and the damage heals too slowly. I've had my eye out for a year or more at local shops, newspapers, and craiglist for a decent used bike, but no luck.

So, I've got a substantial credit at the bike shop that handled the consignment of my cursed Co-Motion and I'm considering a new bike in the under $1,200 list range. I figure with the shop discount and my credit, I might pick up something nice in a hard tail by just kicking in a few hundred.

The bike shop carries Trek and Specialized. Although I've had excellent luck with my antique Trek 950 Singletrack, I thought to try a Specialized. The problem is, it looks like all Specialized current models have moved to 29". Trek still offers their 4300/4700/4900 models in 26".

I have to weigh the benefits of 29" wheels vs the fact that I wouldn't be able to use the substantial stock of various 26" road and off-road tires I've accumulated.

Comments? Opinions?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

8/14/13 2:13 PM

IMO, if you are under 5'8" stick with 26er, If you are 6' or more 29er. If you are in the middle, go rent a 29er and see. If you are concerned about weight, lean 26er in the low-moderate price range IMO. ot if tight single track, the 29er may seem sluggish.

I like both but MTB wise only have a 26er now. But if I could get a 29er under 25 lb without spending crazy coin, @ 6'1" I like the bigger wheels personally.

my 2 cent.. for what it's worth...

greglepore

8/14/13 2:43 PM

Not that you asked, but I'd want a 650b (27.5)-more nimble than a 29er, rolls better than a 26.

Sparky

8/14/13 4:28 PM

"Not that you asked, but I'd want a 650b "

How would this be different than 700C with smaller tires. OD VS OD 650B VS 700 et al?

henoch

8/14/13 4:54 PM

29er

All the way.
I ride lots of rocky rooty typical east coast single track, likely not very different from the stuff you ride and once I got on a 29r I never looked back.

Reply to topic    

April

8/14/13 9:01 PM

All the mountain bikes I own are still 26". Note I said "still"...

Every time I test rode a 29'er, I was impressed and wanted one.

It rolls better, It goes over small obstacle (roots, little rocks) like they weren't there. It even climbs better, whatever their extra weight! So I'd say 29'ers all the way. And when you're talking about hardtail, I'd say 29'er being a nobrainer!

There're exception situations though. Tight, twisty trails, you might find the longer wheel base of the 29'ers a bit unyielding.

I'm only 5'4. I found 29'ers perfectly easy to fit, hard tail that is. Dualies are a different story. Not a whole lot for me to choose from, many too big. But just about all of you are taller than me so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. (no, I don't have the "female long legs", just a pretty middle-of-the-road 5'4 PERSON)

dfcas

8/15/13 11:10 AM

If you are not going to ride technical singletrack, then the choice is less critical. I like the selection in 29/700c tires which include an infinite choice of cyclocross/touring tires, so I would lean that way.

Most shops don't have much selection in 26" non knobby tires.

Sparky

8/15/13 1:33 PM

I kinda miss my old steel Trek-en-stein CX that the 45C Fire-CX tires fit on for woods riding. I don't think 45c will fit on the Giant, gotta try it at some point. I do like how much less the giant TCX weighs than the Trek, and more so than a 29er.

Steve B.

8/15/13 4:17 PM

For your intended use, I can't see any technical advantage to a 29'er over 26.

With your current tire inventory, it would be expensive to get that existing versatility out of a 29'er, what with tires at $45 and up per tire.

Unless you also have a selection of 700c tires that would fit the 29'er, then I could see that route.

I'm actually surprised you can't find a used 26" mt. bike in reasonable condition. In our neck of the woods, the mt. bikers all have stuff they are selling, as they all jumped on the 29" bandwagon. Have you checked the local mt. bike club website ?, do they have a buy and sell/classified ?

Reply to topic    

dan emery

8/15/13 4:46 PM

Uninformed opinion

I don't ride mtn bikes anymore, but I have a cross bike with 700c tires, a rando bike with 650b tires, and a touring/commuting bike with 26" tires, all of which I use for lite offroad use, probably similar to what you will do. Frankly, the tire size makes no friggin' difference to me. I turn the pedals, the wheels turn. I'm not doing gnarly or technical stuff, so no tire size is a limitation. The main thing I notice regarding tire size is that with the smaller tires, on bikes with fenders, I can make sharp, low speed turns without an overlap concern. But that is more of an issue in commuting, probably not so much for the riding you will do.

So I would make the decision independent of the riding characteristics of different tire sizes. If using your existing tires is most important, get 26. If trying a Specialized is more important, get 29. It's all good!

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

8/16/13 5:36 AM

If the trails aren't technical...

...a 'cross bike will do the job and give your more versatility if you want to do road rides, too. With fat tires, a 'cross bike is basically a "29er light".

Reply to topic    

Anthony Smith

8/16/13 9:03 AM

29er hands down

Have ridden and raced both there is no choice. The 29s ride so much better and are so much faster it is not even fair. Climb better, roll over roots and ruts better--Not much more to say

Reply to topic    

Pino

8/30/13 10:56 AM

Only if you like technical riding, jumping, wheelies etc is a 26" an option.
In all other situations 29" is a no-brainer. Easier, faster.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -