HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT: Computer Security - Kaspersky

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
PLee

7/7/13 7:12 PM

OT: Computer Security - Kaspersky

So I picked up a new laptop for my daughter from Best Buy and they threw in a copy of the Kaspersky internet security software, 2013 version. Is anyone here familiar with it? Is it any better than the security that comes with Microsoft Explorer or Firefox??

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

7/7/13 8:12 PM

Kaspersky is a full anti-viral package, like McAfee and Norton. Your license may also have an internet security component. People seem satisfied with the product. Its engine is licensed to other companies too, whether the engine or the terms of the license is the reason for the arrangement is not general knowledge.

One of my systems runs McAfee and another one uses Microsoft products for AV and Internet security. They both run fine. I'll bet your daughter's will too. One upside of the MS products is they are free. Kaspersky will eventually need to be renewed. If your Kaspersky is only for AV, look into MS Security Essentials.

One thing is to make sure she doesn't log on as an administrator unless she really needs to. Some websites put programs in your temp folder, and some of the programs are bad. If you are a regular user they will just screw up that one login, if an admin though the problems turn system wide. These days MS makes it more difficult to login like that, so it shouldn't be a problem. And tell her to make sure her browsers and OS stay up to date, almost every update is security related. Firefox has pretty much given up on classic major/minor upgrades, these days they send a "major" (security related) update more than once a month. She has to work this stuff into her schedule (at night.)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Nick Payne

7/7/13 10:27 PM

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

From the chart at http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php it looks as though Kaspersky and Trend Micro are top of the heap.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

7/8/13 2:55 AM

data point

I used it for years on a laptop, as recommended by my office computer guy at the time. Seemed to work fine. You get downloads pretty much every day.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/8/13 5:31 AM

Our head of Information Security...

...recently gave a presentation on Internet security and protecting one's personal information. While I can't share the video with you, he had some very illuminating insights.

When it comes to anti-virus products, there is very little difference between them and "who's best" varies almost daily. The key is to keep whatever your select up to date. Also, as viruses have become increasingly sophisticated, AV products have become less effective. In some cases, the only way to catch viruses is after infection when their behavior reveals them; specifically, when bot-net viruses try to "phone home" for instructions. The best bet is to use AV, a tight, properly configured firewall and supplement with periodic scans using products like Malwarbytes. BTW, Malwarebytes has a new mode of operation that works even in the presence of root kits.

The number one source for infections is now Facebook, by a wide margin. Virus writers currently concentrate on fake Facebook links as their primary vector, apparently with great success. If there is ONE THING that you should impress upon your daughter, it's not to click on Facebook links.

His discussion on identity theft has finally convinced me to encrypt my hard drives using Truecrypt. So far, it's been transparent, except for the initial login. I've also wiped all traces of personal information from the hard drives of my older computers, so there is nothing that can be stolen.

Between these steps and using Carbonite for backup, I figure I'm covered.

He also went into security for smart phones pretty extensively and he forces his kids to use swipe-pattern security on their phones, so they won't be readily accessible if lost or stolen.

Be careful out there!

Reply to topic    

Tom Price

7/8/13 5:51 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials

PLee

Kaspersky is a very good product, one of the best out there. I am assuming that your daughter's computer is windows 8. Windows 8 comes standard with Microsoft Defender which is the renamed Microsoft security essentials. It is free very easy to use and light on resources. I have used it for years and have been very happy with it. Give it a look before you install Kaspersky.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Jesus Saves

7/13/13 6:09 AM

+1 for the Microsoft freebies. That plus a little bit of computer securityknowledge and she'll be fine.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -