View posts since last visit

Need help -- Campy shifter cable replacement problem
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave B

6/29/13 7:12 AM

Understood

quote:
It's not the cable head that's broken. It's a frayed cable.

I realize that but the difficulty you had getting the head out of the brifter makes me think it could have been the wrong size.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

April

6/29/13 7:25 AM

no, the head rotates FREELY within the hole but just would not come straight out until I got a solid grip on it (see my 1st post).

that, led me to the conclusion it was the right size head but "wrong size cable" --- result of the unraveling of the strands on the broken end.

KerryIrons

6/29/13 6:41 PM

Fat cable

April I think you have it exactly right. Once the cable frays the strands start "sticking out" to the side, effectively increasing the diameter of the cable. If you had been able to cut the cable between fraying and the cable head, it would have come out easily.

Reply to topic    

April

6/29/13 7:30 PM

Kerry, you're quite right

quote:
If you had been able to cut the cable between fraying and the cable head, it would have come out easily.

Brian also made siimilar suggestion earlier, which I tried. Unfortunatelly, the frayed end was quite close to the head and I couldn't get a cable cutter in to cut them. More over, the cable had already unravled so much I couldn't see a solid cable next to the head any more. So I concluded that's a lost cause, and shift focus to trying the various tools to achieve a decent grip.

What in the end helped the most was Craig's suggestion of something SHARP to BITE into the head. As the head was made of rather soft metal, that was exactly what was needed. Of the two tools I had, the tweezer got the most "play time". By twisting in an unscrewing motion, the head slowly poke out. Once it was out enough, the sharp little nail cutter grabed it tight. Then I was able to wiggle and pull... and out it came!

Strangely, this whole episode reminds me the one and only surgical operation I observed. The surgical openning was VERY small! Yet a trained surgeon was able to move the instrument in and out, cutting the right piece with minimal demage to other tissues. It was pretty amazing. Left a great impression to a young mind. (my aunt was a surgeon and wanted me and my cousin to observe a procedure before deciding whether to apply for medical school -- the result was neither of us did, neither of us are the patient and careful type -- with shifter cable, the stake were far less)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -