HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Anybody know this bike: Trek 540/Klein Navigator

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dfcas

6/14/13 6:39 PM

Anybody know this bike: Trek 540/Klein Navigator

One of these has come up locally and I find it interesting. Klein made them in 98 or so with rear facing dropouts, then in 2000 Trek marketed them with normal drops and a 1 inch threaded steerer. Big burly aluminum touring setup. The one locally is the Trek version.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Nick Payne

6/15/13 3:49 PM

I can remember having a look at the Klein version in a shop in the late 90s. As I recall, the dropouts were welded to the inside of the rather fat chainstays, meaning the chainstays were a long way apart at the dropouts, and when I tried to actually ride the thing, my heels hit the chainstays as they came past. Someone who didn't ride heels-in like me might have been ok on it, but I would have needed a set of birthing cranks to ride it.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

6/15/13 4:30 PM

The Trek version has regular dropouts, and thats what I'm looking at. I'm afraid the ride may be brutal, but its slack and long, so maybe not.

Sparky

6/15/13 4:41 PM

ride brutal, I think 30c are rare on those. Some 24mm wide rims and 32-39 tires ought to take the snap out of the truss that it has to be.

If it is 9000 series aluminum, you might well be very surprised. The Q-Carbon with 23c s rode unreal. I don't think the carbon seat stays and fork can do all that. All I know is the bike rode really sweet. Good thing too, not too much room for bigger than 23s on it. The 25s on A23 rims where too close to chance FWIW. Not that it applies to the Nav with lot of clearance. Well I made my point...

dfcas

6/15/13 5:39 PM

I think the navigator was a much lower end aluminum. They blew them out at the end for 3-400 for a frameset.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -