HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

A23 Velocity Rims best source/price

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

5/19/13 6:02 PM

A23 Velocity Rims best source/price

Paid 53.00 ea for the first set. Not seeing even close to that.

Any insight appreciated...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

NJRoadie

5/20/13 4:53 AM

Rims

Treefortbikes has them:

http://www.treefortbikes.com/product/333222380316/373/Velocity-A23-Machined-Sidewall.html?gclid=CPCHlu7BpLcCFUyY4AodUWMAdQ

I've ordered from them before and they were reputable.

Reply to topic    

Brian Kelly

5/20/13 9:14 AM

Another option you maybe interested in is the Kinlin 279

http://fairwheelbikes.com/kinlin-xc279-clincher-rim-p-5431.html

It's heavier than the A23 (490 gms vs 450) but it's also deeper (28mm vs 19.5). The link above had them for $60 ea.

Sparky

5/20/13 9:52 AM

I need the A23 or Aerohead, being I am replacing aeroheads, I want the wider, but the ERD is close enough [2mm] the Revolution spokes will get reused.
Don't want to replace 48 revo that are still fine. [14/15s drive side] this combo has been my fav combo. Both sets I built in the 90s still going strong.
The aeroheads where no machines and blue, but I got them for 22.00 each [no one wanted the blue ones] and wore thru the ano on the brake tracks 2 years back. So I dressed them to be hand machined. ;)

I just got it in my head the wide rims feel better, especially with the 25-8 tires I am running.

I took the Strong out after putting back on a straight AME Alpha-Q with Race-x-lite wheels with Hutch Comp skinny 23s [more like 22s] the other day. Hyperactive again. ;) Those Hutch Comp do ride nice though, but the bike is back to turning upon the though of it. ;)

Going to put the A23 set with 25mm 4kS later to see if it de-twitch-e-fies the front end. It is an experiment.

I have been riding bike with 72-72.5^ HTA and the Strong is 73.5^. Fatter tire calms that a bit I have found.

mag7

5/20/13 10:35 AM

I got my LBS to order my set as a "demo" and they passed most of that discount onto me. I also like a wider box rim with a wider tire (25c for me). My set is the Chukker but my LBS ordered an A23 set with the optional decal package which overcame the only negative I can say about their wheels is that they lack any bling factor - not so with the decal set which btw, my wrench highly recommends you get those applied at the factory.

I've gotten to know a couple of the guys who are part of the Velocity in-house wheel building team and they have been very helpful.

The website for this group is here:
http://www.thewheeldepartment.com/p/home.html

Last edited by mag7 on 5/20/13 10:43 AM; edited 1 time in total

Sparky

5/20/13 10:42 AM

yeah, $61.99 is the best I can find so far. Which ever one will ship for the customary free on orders over X$ is going to get my biz.

I did pay for shipping on the sale set I got from Cambria...

It took the A23s to get me to want to take off Mavic O-Pros and Aeroheads, my old favs...

I like them for sure.

http://www.modernbike.com free shiping it seems.
Treefort free over $120.00. not going to buy more to get free shipping. I don't need tubes now unfortunately.

EDIT: Modern bike 123.98 shipped for a pair of non welded rims, what is the world coming to? ;O

Sparky

5/20/13 1:43 PM

I'd say that the seam on the A23 seams [knuck, knuck] better than the Aerohead. You get a click on the aeroheads. When I dressed the blue ano off the non machined brake surface there is still some blue on one side of the seam. I could have got it off, but at what cost to the material thickness. The A23 I don't even perceive the seam, although the first set do only have a few hundred miles on them...

My method of taking the ano off was an intentional muddy ride with CX tires. Followed by a cleaning, replacing the brake pads and then sanding the rim brake surfaces with steps in oxide paper. 120/220/320 then 600. I think I could put new rims on faster frankly. ;o

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -