HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT-CCCleaner

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave B

5/19/13 6:09 AM

OT-CCCleaner

An thoughts on my downloading a copy of CCCleaner to clear out the temporary files, etc, on my computer? I get so many ad obviously based on cookies and other crap that comes along with internet use that I'd like to get rid of at least some of it.

Experiences?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Chris Klaren

5/19/13 7:06 AM

I've had good luck with it using it on an as-needed basis.

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

5/19/13 11:04 AM

Got a Mac.

When I had M$ machines it worked well

Andy M-S

5/19/13 11:20 AM

Never used it. If you'd like to avoid ads, I suggest Firefox and one of its ad-blocking extensions.

Doug

5/19/13 11:51 AM

CCCleaner

Use it every other day to flush the crud that doesn't self-deport. Have used it for several years with no issues whatsoever. If you get it, also look for "CCEnhancer", a 300k add-in that will get you any updates to the definitions file.
YMMC
-dg

Reply to topic    

April

5/19/13 12:54 PM

How is that different than just deleting all the temp files and cookies by hand?

Dave B

5/19/13 3:43 PM

quote:
How is that different than just deleting all the temp files and cookies by hand?

Apparently it does a better job and is more thorough.

Thanks for all of the comments. It sounds like a good thing to have.

Nick Payne

5/19/13 3:48 PM

quote:

It's considerably quicker than doing the cleanup manually for multiple browsers, OS temp files, recycle bin, memory dumps, etc, plus it also does things such as scan the registry for old and unused entries, and show all programs that run at startup and allow disabling or deleting any of those startup entries. I've been using it for years and never had any problem.

Reply to topic    

Rickk

5/19/13 4:42 PM

ditto re. what N.P. said.

ie.
It's considerably quicker than doing the cleanup manually for multiple browsers, OS temp files, recycle bin, memory dumps, etc, plus it also does things such as scan the registry for old and unused entries, and show all programs that run at startup and allow disabling or deleting any of those startup entries. I've been using it for years and never had any problem. [/i]

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

5/19/13 6:45 PM

One complaint

The only complaint I have about CCCleaner is that it eliminates all the auto-logins I have on various sites (like this one). If I could figure out how to stop that I would use it every day. It is a very thorough cleaner and finds lots of stuff even after other cleaners have been run. I run it when I get the sense that a "deep clean" is in order.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

5/19/13 8:31 PM

That's the result of deleting cookies.

Any time you delete all of the cookies on a system, you're going to lose the automatic logins and other functionality. There are browser add-ins that will notify you when a site wants to add a cookie and give you the option to accept or reject it. That's probably the best way to go if you're cookie-phobic, but want the advantages they provide on some sites.

BTW, the name of the product we're discussing is "CCleaner", not "CCCleaner". I used it when I was repairing PCs for a living and have used it on other machines I maintain for several years. It's a very reliable product and I've never seen it create a problem.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/19/13 8:34 PM

I do my cookies manually exactly for that reason.

Nick Payne

5/19/13 9:56 PM

quote:
The only complaint I have about CCCleaner is that it eliminates all the auto-logins I have on various sites (like this one)

Those logins are preserved in cookies. Under CCleaner options, go to the cookies tab and pick the sites for which you want to retain cookies - eg cyclingforum.com. Then when you run a clean you won't lose your auto login to those sites.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

5/20/13 4:55 AM

If forgot to mention that

It's under "Options". Right-click on a cookie and select "keep".

Reply to topic    

April

5/20/13 7:48 AM

quote:
Under CCleaner options, go to the cookies tab and pick the sites for which you want to retain cookies - eg cyclingforum.com. Then when you run a clean you won't lose your auto login to those sites.

Ah, THAT would be worth the software

Dave B

5/20/13 8:17 AM

Works

I downloaded a copy of it, and after having to bypass a bunch of programs and extra things I didn't want, got it installed. works well. I'll have to remember to exempt the cookies I want to keep next time as it cleared out absolutely everything. I was amazed at how much it removed,

Thanks for the advice

Nick Payne

5/20/13 4:32 PM

quote:
I downloaded a copy of it, and after having to bypass a bunch of programs and extra things I didn't want, got it installed. works well.

Yeah, I've always thought it rather ironic that the install for a program designed to help remove crap itself detaults to wanting to install crap.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

5/20/13 7:15 PM

I used to write installers.

I spent close to a decade writing installation programs. I used to tell the other engineers that I was doing "rocket science," because their fancy tech wasn't going to work unless I put it in the right place.

An installer is also the first face of your product that the customer sees.

Maybe that's why I avoid products that have crappy, or crap-installing, installers.

Dave B

5/21/13 7:40 AM

Sorry

quote:
BTW, the name of the product we're discussing is "CCleaner", not "CCCleaner".

Yes, now I see that. I don't know where I got the double-C prefix but it is indeed CCleaner.

I did go back to the options tab and set it to save the web site cookies I want to keep next time. Actually, I only use a dozen or less web sites that require a membership or login so resetting them wasn't a big deal but now I won't have to do even that. And, the number of "targeted ads" has dropped to nearly zero after the purge!

daddy-o

5/21/13 1:10 PM

How do you download?

In general how do you-all choose where to download software?

I trust ZDnet, but for instance today my search returned hits like "file hippo" that don't inspire confidence.

One thing I've been doing is to open a Wikipedia page about the company / product and usually they have a link to the official website. Of course official websites have their drawbacks when it comes to purchases, the price might be high or they may not even sell directly.

Dave B

5/21/13 3:30 PM

I did a Google search for "CCleaner" (actually CCCleaner but it knew what I wanted) and followed the link to the supplier's web site. As I mentioned above, the actual download required declining a bunch of unwanted tag-along software but it was pretty fast.

Brian Nystrom

5/22/13 5:05 AM

Dowload sites

If you go to a manufacturer's site and download from there or from a "mirror" site they provide a link to, you're fine. File Hippo and Tucows may sound somewhat dopey, but I've never had a problem with either.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -