HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT - Fixing a garden hose leak?
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

5/21/13 8:32 PM

;) denotes a joke, in case you missed it...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

April

5/21/13 9:27 PM

quote:
;) denotes a joke

Not always.

Though I know you weren't serious, sometimes life is stranger than fiction (in this case, stranger than joke). I knew a real peson who NEVER EVER washed her boat for the 5 years she owned it. Then she wondered why there's rust on the metal hardware!

Brian Nystrom

5/22/13 5:15 AM

I almost never wash my boats

Typically all they get is a a salt water rinse to get rid of sand and seaweed, and rust isn't a problem. If she's getting rust, the boat was built with the wrong type of hardware.

Reply to topic    

April

5/22/13 7:44 AM

quote:
If she's getting rust, the boat was built with the wrong type of hardware.

The bolt/screw holding the foot peg rail to the haul is made of steel. Same with deckline anchors. (boat is white)

Brian Nystrom

5/23/13 5:20 AM

My boats have steel parts, too

The difference is that they use the correct type of stainless steel that will not rust in salt water (typically 316 stainless is used for marine applications).

Reply to topic    

April

5/23/13 7:29 AM

It's by made QCC

For myself, I don't wash the boat after paddling in a pond.

But if I don't wash the boat with fresh water after paddling in salt water, the residual salt attracts water. So the boat, and all the gear, stays damp the whole time it's in the garage. And if I don't use the boat for say a month, dust end up sticking to it and it's absolutely yucky when it comes time to load it up. And all that wet dust (basically mud) gets all over me, the inside of the car and I end up having to wash the gear just to stop all that dirt getting smeared all over the place!

That's not to mention I hate getting back into "slightly damp" skirts, pfd etc.

So, washing the salt off the boat and the gear right after paddling in the ocean was much easier in comparison.

Last week, I was actually paddling in fresh water (river). But the take out was on a muddy bank so there's quite a bit of mud that needs washing. Though the real motivation for washing was because there were a lot of poison ivy along the trail. I was a bit worried the boat or paddle might have brushed on them! So it was everything that fits in the washer gets a real wash and spraying everything that doesn't fit in the washer! And I want as much water pressure as I can get!!!

Sparky

5/23/13 8:16 AM

"And I want as much water pressure as I can get!!!"

I got one of these at a yard sale with a broken pistol for 15.00. The pistol kit was 29.00 @ H_Depot. So I have an extra hose and fitting that came with the kit as just the pistol was broke. It is a handy little dandy.
I think it ships for free as well.

This one on H_Depot is 99.00 on sale and I think shops for free.

April

5/23/13 8:22 AM

"Boys and toys"?

The water pressure from the hose with a spray head is quite fine, as long as the hose doesn't leak. No need to go overboard.

But that's because I want certain result, not more toys using any excuse. ;-)

Sparky

5/23/13 8:40 AM

Tool, not toy, but you do have a way with words as usual.

Although I never needed one before moving to the PNW. Moss on the walkways is the norm, and it is like Steven Kings 'The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill' on Creepshow if you don't abate it once or twice a year. Any one remember that one?

Unfortunately until I re-plumb my house, water pressure need some help. But for $90k off it's 2006 selling price I don't complain. ;)

Matthew Currie

5/23/13 11:49 AM

I bought a similar little pressure washer some time ago, and it was fine for a while, although it leaked a little. But when the pistons wore out entirely it turned out that rebuilding the pump cost about twice what a new unit would cost. I think it was about 80 bucks per piston. It's one of those rackets with new equipment, like the oil-less air compressors, which you can buy cheaply but can rebuild only with a very expensive kit that includes far more than the little teflon ring that wears out and costs as much as replacement.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

5/24/13 5:28 AM

I ALWAYS rinse my GEAR after paddling

There's a big difference between gear and boats. Leaving gear wet and salty invites all kinds of problems. I always rinse it thoroughly AND dry it thoroughly before storing it.

I'm surprised that your friend is having rust issues with a QCC boat, as they're generally very high quality. They certainly should know what kind of hardware to use.

Reply to topic    

April

5/24/13 7:20 AM

Gear & boat

I store most of my paddling gears in or on the boat! (the cockpit is a perfect storage bin). Also that way, I never "forget" a piece of essential gear at the put in!

So if I don't rinse the boat, the nicely rinsed and dry gear stored in/on the salty & damp boat will turn damp as a result. Plus, if I'm rinsing the gear anyway, I might as well rinse the boat!

I heard people singing a lot praises about QCC boats but I've never owned nor paddled one myself. That was the only person I know that owns QCC boat. The boat itself looks well build otherwise. But the rust issue is pretty obvious too.

(well, I haven't seen a "poorly build" boat either, and that includes a lot of NDK's too, which people reported having issues. The few I've paddled felt perfectly well-made!)

Last edited by April on 5/24/13 10:49 AM; edited 2 times in total

Sparky

5/24/13 10:01 AM

"Leaving gear wet and salty invites all kinds of problems. I always rinse it thoroughly AND dry it thoroughly before storing it. "

I need to remember [thanks for reminder] to rinse my helmet straps as the temp goes up and the sweat flows, speaking of salt water....

Brian Nystrom

5/28/13 5:17 AM

Yeah, I noticed...

...that mine are getting pretty crusty, too. Thanks for the reminder!

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

5/28/13 4:39 PM

I have regularly runes my bike because of my salty sweat. Her in SC the humidity is horrible. In the desert southwest you don't drip sweat until you stop. Here it flows off like a hose.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -