CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Experienced a 20^ temp drop in 1-2 minutes..

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

5/5/13 11:16 PM

Experienced a 20^ temp drop in 1-2 minutes..

We went out to Seaside, then Canon Beach on the Pacific. A record hot day was forecast, and it was 84-5^ but windy. But you found yourself looking for shade.

We walked 1/4 mile on the beach when we got to Canon later in the afternoon, and all of a sudden it felt like how it feels when you open the fridge door in hot house. And in the next minute Elaine said she could have used her 'just in case sweat shirt that was in the car I had laughed at that she even took. :0

I have never experienced this before, it was.... dare I say 'Cool'

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Nick Payne

5/6/13 12:50 AM

Imagine trying to dress for this: http://www.weather.com/news/weather-winter/5-extreme-temperature-drops-20130118

Reply to topic    

JohnC

5/6/13 9:47 AM

Neat. The wind blowing over that cold ocean water will do that to you. Here in Connecticut, we get that at this time of year when the ocean is still cold. Yesterday it was about 70 here in the Hartford area, 40 miles from Long Island Sound, while along the shore it was low 50's because of the onshore breeze. Water temp is still about 55, about the same as you have there in Oregon (though unlike there, it will warm up. In August we expect water temps of 75 or so, while yours will never get to 60).

I have experienced temperature drops like that in thunderstorms in the mid-Atlantic. 90 to 60 in 10 minutes. And I once experienced an illusory temperature drop as a result of evaporative cooling. Swimming in a pool in Death Valley, water about 90 and air temp about 115, I stood up in the wind and thought that an invisible cold front had passed. I was absolutely freezing -- for about 2 minutes, then I was dry and it was hot again.

dan emery

5/6/13 10:04 AM

slightly different temp change

One year on the Mt Washington Hillclimb it was 65F and sunny at the start and then icycles hanging off the signs when I got to the finish about 1 1/2 hrs later.

Here lately I've been starting weekend rides in the 40s and finishing in the 60s, a little overdressed.

Reply to topic    

stan

5/6/13 7:42 PM

I have a boat on the Chesapeake Bay. Weekend before last with the wind blowing from the east, the temperature in my car showed a 7 degree drop the last four miles before water.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

5/7/13 6:36 PM

Coastal

Riding highway 1 in northern California the temperature can easily swing 20 degrees by riding out of the fog, away from the coast, over a ridge, and into the sunshine. It's hard to dress for.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

5/7/13 11:49 PM

Where I grew up, in Perth, it's quite common to have hot summer days where the temperature can be up around 100F or more, and then the land breeze will die, the sea breeze comes in, and the temperature can drop 20 or 25 degrees in less than half an hour. It happens so frequently that the sea breeze there is known locally as the "Fremantle Doctor", Fremantle being the sea port for Perth and the direction from which the sea breeze comes.

Reply to topic    

JohnC

5/8/13 9:05 AM

Northern California fog

My wife and I lived in San Francisco for a couple of stretches, the last time (20-some years ago) living in the Richmond Disrict out by Golden Gate Park. I worked downtown on Market Street. Many summer days I would get on the bus and ride eastward, emerging from the fog after 10 or 15 blocks, and all day downtown it would be sunny and reasonably warm (70-75). I'd get home and my wife would inform me that it stayed foggy and 55 all day.

California's micro-climates are really dramatic. Those same days when it was 75 on Market Street, it could easily be 85 10 miles away in Berkeley, 95 over the hill in Contra Costa county, and 105 in Sacramento.

Tom Phillips

5/8/13 10:31 AM

Northern CA fog

Similar weather here: Typical summer day is 55-65 on the coast, 70-75 over the first little ridge 5 miles inland, 85ish 20 miles inland, 100ish 35 miles inland. It seems so natural to me, I grew up in Monterey Bay then moved to Humboldt County on the northern coast. Windvests go with us pretty much everywhere. Leave the house on the coast in chilly AM fog, head east, lose the vest when it hits 70, then put it back on for the drop back down to the coast (if it's still foggy).

Coastal fog and breezes can be a wonderful thing if you've spent the day hanging by the river in 100 degree heat, it's like coming back to an air conditioner.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/8/13 1:35 PM

When we did our trip back from LA is was like that. Not instant jumps standing still, but the 101 ride north
bobs and weaves here and there to and fro with regards to the road and the ocean. So over 2-3 miles and less sometimes, 10^ or more seemed common.

But the Canon Beach was a 1st. Walking down the beach looking and the Tillamook Rock lighthouse and
in 30 seconds 10^ drop, and in the next minute another 10^ or more. It was windy all day, so I figure the angle of the sun and direction of the wind pulling more air from further out over the water played parts. It was cool though...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -