HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Shimano XTR freehub compatibility

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Nick Payne

4/30/13 11:59 PM

Shimano XTR freehub compatibility

I have a pair of wheels using XTR M970 hubs that have seen quite a lot of use, and the freehub is starting to skip every so often when it engages. I suppose either the pawls are getting worn or some of them are chipped.

Anyway, I priced a replacement XTR freehub, and was pretty staggered by the price, which is more than the complete pair of hubs cost in the first place. In fact, I could buy almost half a dozen complete STX rear hubs for the cost of this one replacement freehub body. So my question: is this XTR hub only compatible with an XTR freehub, or can the hub take a cheaper replacement Shimano freehub from further down the range?

Kind or ties in with the other discussion about value for money, doesn't it?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/1/13 1:13 AM

I can tell you I have put a DA 9 freehub on Ultegra hub. Also on a early 105 I put on an XT to get to 8 speed, even without changing the axle. Although the amount of axle left for the dropout was minimal on each side.

So I am going with a definite maybe. ;)

Not sure that helps...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

5/1/13 3:56 AM

What is the hub spacing and spoke count? I have a set of hubs I may able to toss your way. They are famous maker and worth the postage.

Dave B

5/1/13 6:04 AM

AFAIK, Shimano freehub bodies are interchangeable across the board (exception: the 7800 bodies as discussed in the cassette compatibility thread and maybe the DynaSys bodies).

Where the problems sometimes occur is that the openings for the cones and seals vary somewhat so you may want to get a complete hub so you have all the matching drive side fittings to go with the new freehub body.

Nick Payne

5/1/13 6:12 AM

Erik - the hubs are 32 hole 135mm spacing. But I already have a spare set of Deore LX hubs around somewhere that I can use if I'm willing to unspoke and respoke the wheels. I just wanted to avoid that if possible. I don't think that I can use the freehub off the LX hub as a replacement in the XTR, as the LX hub uses a standard diameter steel axle and the XTR hub has an oversize aluminium axle.

Sparky - with 9-speed the Dura-Ace and Ultegra/105 all used the same diameter axle. After that Shimano went with larger diameter aluminium axles for the DA/XTR groups, so I suspect, without having yet pulled the hub apart, that the lower end freehubs don't have a large enough central hole and ball race for the high end hubs.

Edit: p.s. On further investigation, the freehubs from the cheaper hubs are not interchangeable into DA/XTR. DA/XTR use a larger diameter hollow bolt to hold the freehub to the hub shell - it needs a 14mm allen key to remove and install it, whereas the lower end gear - Ultegra, 105, etc, uses a smaller bolt that takes a 10mm allen key.

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

5/1/13 4:00 PM

Nick I have what you want and need. The postage is minscule compared to what I am offering. Email me. These hubs are worth your effort.

daddy-o

5/1/13 4:14 PM

Face it Nick, it isn't the parts wearing out. It's because retirement has been so good to you that you're breaking equipment like you're 19 again. Enjoy it.

dddd

5/4/13 1:59 AM

These freehub body swaps don't always work, and not just because of the cones and seals not lining up.

I've done a few such swaps that didn't work out because the distance of the cassette from the spoke flange was grossly altered.

Although like-year XTR and XT might be interchangeable, I've tried using XT freehub bodies on lesser hub's shells with no success. And vice-versa.

I just last season tried putting a 7700 freehub body on a 6410 Ultegra hubshell, which screwed up the wheel dish for the worse. I had to increase the axle width a few mm and then force it into my CX frame, just to save the 18 grams from using the ti body. And yes, I did carry over all of the driveside axle hardware, cone, etc from the donor 7700 hub, but then had to lengthen the non-driveside axle spacer.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -