Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Gear vs skill psychology?
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
April

4/24/13 7:37 AM

quote:
Most people find it easier to plunk down a credit card for new gear that they think will improve their performance than to work on improving their skills or fitness. I've seen this with virtually every activity I've been involved with and I'm as guilty of it as anyone.

Well, that is what I see in skiing. But I'm not seeing the same in cycling.

There're as many rider pushing up a 30lb clunker as there are 50lb beer belly on a fancy 16 pound bike! Whilst you don't see the same number of skiers on straight skis!

In fact, I see a lot more 10-20 year OLD bike on the road than 10-20 year old skis on the hill.

So it seem to me skiers drop more (frequently) coins on equipment than cyclist do.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

4/24/13 7:50 AM

not me!

>>Most people find it easier to plunk down a credit card for new gear that they think will improve their performance than to work on improving their skills or fitness<<

I have no illusions that equipment will make me a better rider, but I buy it anyway for various reasons often including that I think it is cool. Other reasons are functional capabilities (like lights, bags, etc.) or recognition of my limitations (wide range gears, wide tires, etc).

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -