HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Garmin GPS cycle computers

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Yammie

4/18/13 7:32 AM

Garmin GPS cycle computers

I'm back on the bikes after a long break due to some shoulder problems and lack of time due to my crumbsnatchers. I'm curious about the Garmin 500 and 800 cycle computers. Does anyone use them?

Specifically, I know they both offer road maps, but do they have topo capabilities so I could save waypoints on a mountain bike ride? I don't really care about speed or heart rate, but I'm lousy about remembering new routes and I'd like a computer that can manage that.

I do have MapMyRide on my iPhone, but I'd rather not have it dangling on the bars and all the iPhone bike mounts I've seen require me to remove the phone's Otterbox case before using them.

I'd really like to get the wired Mity 3 off my Hampsten Strada Bianca Ti! Recommendations and experience are welcome.

Thanks-
Bill

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Kelly

4/18/13 8:43 AM

Garmin just updated both of those models (510 and 810) so you are starting to see deals on both of the #00 models.

One other option is Garmin's hiking based models (Dakota, eTrex, and Oregon). They are larger then either the 500 or 800, but certain models in those lines are also compatible with tbeir cadence/ speed sensor and can provide cycling data. I know of a few people who are using those for longer rides/ bikepacking since they provide a stronger map interface.

greglepore

4/18/13 12:55 PM

Dude! Welcome back! No info and Garmins, sorry...

Sparky

4/18/13 1:13 PM

Way cool, the yamster posts....

Hope you are doing well!

Yammie

4/18/13 2:02 PM

Yep

All is well here in the Tampa area. Hey, does anyone have valid contact info for Antney? I need to kill my old cyclingforum.com email forward, as it's become a hiedous spam vector...

dan emery

4/18/13 2:18 PM

Hi Bill

Good to see you back on the bike, and back here. As usual I can't answer the question. I have a Garmin 200 but none of the mapping stuff - it does eliminate the wires though.

This is old timers day - in another thread - Jdawg!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/18/13 6:09 PM

"Hey, does anyone have valid contact info for Antney?"

eMailed to you...

Brian Nystrom

4/19/13 5:01 AM

Garming 500 and 800

I have the former and my girlfriend recently bought the latter. The 500 does have course capability, but it's been buggy and problematic ever since it came out (this as been extensively discussed on the Garmin forums).* More important, the screen is too small to be useful as a map, anyway. Consequently, I don't even bother with using courses.

The 800 is significantly larger and works better with maps and courses. It includes a feature that prompts you at turns (I don't think the 500 has it). There are maps you can download, some at no cost.

Neither has topo capabilities per se, but they store routes ridden and and you can convert them to courses.

*Garmin bike GPSs are notorious for their terrible firmware. It's buggy and every time they come out with a new release, they seem to break as many features as they fix. This is another topic that's frequently discussed on their forums and they seem incapable of getting things right. Loading a new version of Garmin firmware is a crap-shoot and I've just decided to stick with the version I'm using on the 500, since it seems relatively stable.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -