HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

On the road again

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

3/24/13 10:26 AM

On the road again

Well the roads are clear and it's sunny (albeit cool and blustery) so I took the road bike off the hook, put on the 28 Grand Bois, dripped on some Slick Willy Slush Armour, charged up the Garmin 200, and took it out on the road for a couple hours. First real road ride this year (been on the rando bike for a few short rides). Felt good, handled the hills OK, wanted to ride hard at the end which is a good sign for me. So overall not bad for this time of year. I'm hoping to kick my riding up a notch this year, we'll see. Let the games begin!

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

3/24/13 12:07 PM

Hit and miss here

It was great for outside riding in the last few weeks then ths past week it went back to rain and cold. Brrrr. Was on the trainer yesterday and on the treadmill at the Y along with weights. I am being forced into macro and micro training cycles.

The weights and running have paid off though.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

walter

3/24/13 2:07 PM

"forced into macro and micro training cycles"

if you're into systematic training and periodization, what other approach is there than macro/micro cycles?

dfcas

3/24/13 2:14 PM

We're supposed to get 5-8 inches of slop tonite and tomorrow so I'm forced indoors for a few days. I need to move to Maine.

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

3/24/13 2:51 PM

Walter, I quit really caring years ago. Now I am kinda being forced back into it.

It shows in my performance gains as you have noted.

KerryIrons

3/24/13 7:01 PM

What a difference a year makes

Last year in March I rode over 650 miles - my all time highest. So far this year I've been in the basement on the rollers for the entire month. We still have piles of snow along the roadsides and so slop into the roadway and rail trail. If current forecasts hold then I might not get outside this month (the lowest I've ever ridden in March is 30 miles). We're running 10-15 degrees below normal and daytime highs of 35 will not melt the snow very fast.

Reply to topic    

April

3/24/13 8:42 PM

Road? What road?

The only "road" I've been seeing is the ones running from the airport to hotel and from hotel to the slope... I'm in Montana, skiing around a few of the well known and not-so-well-know mountains!

Condition is incredibly good. And a great group of people to hang out with. This is the beginning of a wonderful week!

I'm sure the time for cycling will come. Just not right now! :D

Brian Nystrom

3/25/13 5:31 AM

Same here, Dan

I got out for 33 miles yesterday and it felt really good after only doing a few short rides on the 'cross bike so far. I've had a pinched nerve in my neck that's been keeping me out of the gym for the past 3 weeks, but riding actually seems to help it. It's light late enough now that I should be able to get some miles in after work, if the weather cooperates.

Linda's ankle recovery is coming along nicely and she's riding well, so we're looking forward to a good season.

Reply to topic    

walter

3/25/13 11:13 AM

ah, i see

...structured training as opposed to un-structured training, not one structure vs another...GOT IT!

Sparky

3/31/13 4:48 PM

Ahhh, nice 25 miles today. And I only got a few rides in on the Roubaix last year, so like having a new bike too. We won't talk about the 700 ft up in 1.4 miles on the way home, but there was zig-zagging involved...

Last edited by Sparky on 3/31/13 6:40 PM; edited 1 time in total

dan emery

3/31/13 6:14 PM

Good here too

Got out for a couple hilly hours, felt good. Riding a bit harder on the late
part of the rides than I have in awhile, thinking about trying to add a little pop this year.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/1/13 5:25 AM

Friday and Sunday!

We had Friday off since it was a stock market holiday and I managed to get in 37 miles. That included some walking during an ill-advised and ultimately aborted attempt to return via a rail trail that still had snowy sections. Oh well, lesson learned. Saturday I went for a massage that definitely helped the pinched nerve in my neck. Yesterday we got out for 42 miles and had a really fun ride. It's been a great week and if the snow melts at work, I'll be able to continue building base miles during the week.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

4/1/13 9:15 AM

Weekend

The weather was very nice here in CT this weekend--Saturday was miles of flat, Sunday there were hills with my name on them. Today, a ride to coffee and then to work. Spring is most definitely here!

PS: It rained last night, so the roads were rather moist and puddly this morning. Another good reason for fenders!

Dave B

4/1/13 11:32 AM

Brief Respite

This weekend was decent. Mostly sunny and low 50's on both Friday and Saturday and upper 40's with light rain on Sunday. I got out for over 30 miles each day.

Today it's in the mid to upper 30's with snow squalls. April Fools indeed.

Sparky

4/1/13 12:17 PM

I forgot to mention that is popped 70^, heaven with pavement... ;)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -