CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT: Should I throw out an old radar detector?
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
April

1/24/13 6:11 PM

quote:
When concrete interstate highways were first built, the left lane was restricted to automobiles, no trucks, less damage, especially in the winter freeze-thaw.

No trucks on the left lane is not the same as no automobiles on the right. There's some logic flaws in that understanding (I know it's not you, but those thought it so 20 years ago)

I guess that meets the definition of BAD habits? When it was bad to start with 20 years ago and continue unabated?

Last edited by April on 1/24/13 6:13 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

1/24/13 6:13 PM

I have a car with a real time MPG readout, at 3+ a gallon it helps remind you to keep you foot off the right pedal.

KerryIrons

1/24/13 7:55 PM

Right of passage

Drivers passing in the merge lane are saying "keep right except to pass." If it's OK to drive in the right lane on a 2-lane expressway then it's OK to drive in the right lane on a 3 or 4 lane expressway. If you're driving in the center lane of a 3 lane highway and complaining about someone passing you on the right, then you are essentially saying you declare this road to actually be a 2-lane highway.

Reply to topic    

dddd

1/24/13 9:49 PM

It is a 2 lane hwy when the rightmost of 3 lanes is completely torn up, mostly by the trucks.

They've gotten better, technically, in being able to lay down a single lane strip of re-pave, done as, seemingly, a rolling "operation" that has a smaller lengthwise footprint and keeps moving along.
Sort of like how the bike lanes seem to be handled, at least when some funding comes along.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

1/25/13 5:18 AM

The problem is compounded...

...by states like Massachusetts where it is legal to pass on either side and even in the breakdown lane on some roads during rush hour. It's truly amazing that the annual carnage on MA roads isn't a lot worse.

Reply to topic    

sandiway

1/25/13 11:16 AM

speed limits

Given the density of traffic these days, in most places it's not really safe to go much above 10 above the speed limit.

(I've also driven in europe umpteen times. I've gone over 200 kph on the autostrada myself and I've seen a steady 140 mph on the autobahn - I wasn't driving, just a passenger.)

But out here in the vast southwest, our speed limit is only 75 mph and it's very straight and very long and very boring and very uncrowded. So I do sometimes go quite a bit faster. Of course, I rarely drive more than 5-10 mph faster than the speed limit when it gets crowded.

I own a very expensive radar/laser detector with gps plus speed camera database. It works very well. I'm sure it has paid for itself many times over.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

dfcas

1/25/13 11:19 AM

Well, I threw it out. If anybody cares :)

daddy-o

1/25/13 12:04 PM

Recycling thread anyone?

It's too bad things like that are so hard to recycle. A month after I took two Cisco 3660 routers to Best Buy they changed their policy.

dddd

1/27/13 8:59 PM

I think that perhaps E-waste should be put into some kind of mass sealed storage, awaiting the day that technology allows profitably separating it.
But perhaps that is the same as the excuses that had to be created to keep the nuke-power industry humming. There is the issue of the cost of maintaining such facilities continuously through every economic circumstance and every administration at whatever regional level this might be handled at.

Reply to topic    

Paul Datars

1/28/13 6:58 AM

I have a 700hp Corvette (Z06) and now a 850hp Cadillac Sedan (CTS-V) both equiped with Valentine RDs (even my Maxima winter car has a Valentine) but I am considering strongly trying out a Redline RD, my only fear is if it works too well I'll end up having to buy two more of them. This is how I ended up with 10 SRM systems :-0

While a significant portion of the miles that get put on both my Vette and Caddy are with bicycle(s) being carried in the back, needless to say riding alone does not satisfy my need for speed...maybe more/harder training is required :-)

Interestingly I don't usually drive at insanely high speeds but find the HP very useful in shortening many trips particulraly with mountainous two lane roads where a slow moving vechicle can hold you up for a very long time. So while I don't drive that fast I rarely drive slow, being able to pass like I'm riding a crotch rocket makes this possible, it's also a lot of fun. Unfortunately getting back to a sane speed after a pass can sometimes be difficult, this is where the RD can/has saved my ass.

Sparky

1/28/13 10:38 AM

Paul, you are breaking my heart with these troubles, LOL.

How do you keep the Cadu hooked up to the tarmac I am wondering??

Paul Datars

1/28/13 1:11 PM

The Vette is actually harder to hook than the Caddy, even with 345/30x18 Mickey Thompson Drag Radials. The Caddy will hook reasonably with 305/35x19 MT Drag Radials, on a reasonably prepped track it can even pull off consistent mid-1.50s 60ft times. The Vette really shouldn't be used as a drag car which is part of the reason I got an automatic trans in the Caddy...if I had one of them in the Vette (which of course is blasphemy) it wouldn't be nearly as hard to control the wheel spin.

I haven't run the Caddy in a half mile event since the latest addition of about 100hp but if I had to guess, I'd say it is now faster (in that type of event) than the Vette since it now has better hp/aero. When it comes to hp/weight the Vette still has some advantage but the lack of automatic trans means 9 times out of 10 it'll spin BAD and gets it's ass kicked by the Caddy.

Of course on a road race track there's not even the remotest comparison, the Vette kills because weight (or lack thereof) is king, not to mention that while a supercharge can make great hp, once it heat-soaks most of its hp advantage is lost.

My biggest problem with both cars is they take the same weather to have fun with as is required for great bike rides, and to date the bicycles still win out. In a couple months I'll be retired so I'm hoping this will mean I have more time to play with the cars instead of using them mostly as just fancy transportation for my bicycles. Of course I might just end up riding my bike more :-0

Sparky

1/28/13 1:28 PM

" In a couple months I'll be retired so I'm hoping this will mean I have more time to play with the cars instead of using them mostly as just fancy transportation for my bicycles."

Now 'that' sounds like a plan. ;)

sandiway

1/28/13 1:31 PM

re: Redline RD

Paul, I wonder if the Redline will false too often without the GPS capability.

Also, in AZ I'm noticing more and more laser guns, especially from motorcycle cops. My 9500ci has some laser capability but it's not the very best at laser jamming. It needs more codes and more powerful emitters.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Paul Datars

1/28/13 1:40 PM

My buddy uses a Redline and claims it will false far less often than my Valentines, but the biggest deal he claims is that the Redline is undetectable whereas now, apparently the Valentine is, with the latest radar detector detectors. Unfortunately in Canada the detector detectors are something one needs to be concerned :-(

BTW, I finally got Sally a compact SRM so she'll be spinning up the Kitchen and Glade this summer with a 34/34 :-)

dan emery

1/28/13 1:41 PM

yeah well

>>In a couple months I'll be retired<<

Those Caddies are old folks' cars anyway....

Congrats on "pulling the pin," Paul.

Reply to topic    

Paul Datars

1/28/13 1:47 PM

Thanks Dan...I get a lot of old man's car jokes which is part of why I had to keep the Vette. When I finally get comfortable with my old man status maybe I'll find the intestional fortitude to sell the Vette because in all but the road race course situation the Caddy is the superior vehicle. I've had to admit recently that while the Vette impresses everybody, the Caddy impresses me.

sandiway

1/28/13 2:33 PM

re: 34/34

34/34 is good. Will you upgrade to 11-speeds?

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

dddd

1/28/13 5:29 PM

Mid-1.50's sounds positively wild.

My old 9.90 drag bike would do 1.40's but the front wheel wasn't touching the track.

These 60-ft times are nearly the same as 0-60, folks.

Glad you Canadians aren't using the metric system for this ;-)

Reply to topic    

dddd

1/28/13 5:33 PM

"Of course on a road race track there's not even the remotest comparison, the Vette kills because weight (or lack thereof) is king, not to mention that while a supercharge can make great hp, once it heat-soaks most of its hp advantage is lost."

Is this the result of the engine management backing off the boost from knock-detection?
Is your intercooler big enough?

Reply to topic    

Paul Datars

1/29/13 8:53 AM

Sandiway, not only no 11 spd for me, I'm still running 9 spd with no view to upgrade. I really don't feel the need for the in between cogs and am sure I wouldn't be impressed with the decreased chain life.

Actually with a mid 1.5 60 ft time the 0-60mph time is more in the 2.5 - 2.6 second range. When my old drag bike would lay down a 1.15 60 ft time the 0-60mph time was actually a little quicker (aka. just under 1 second).

dddd, bascially you got it right...on the Caddy inspite of now having 6 times the stock intercooler capicity (technically heat exchanger) and also an increase in HX system fluid capacity from 3 qts to 15 qts all in an attempt to control the heat produced by spinning the blower to 23,000 rpm (stock is 17,000...17psi of boost vs 9psi) ultimately I still loose the battle at which point timing is pulled to control knock and hp goes way down. The solution is to simply stay away from a road race track with THAT car.

PS. Just got off the phone, ordered a methenal injection system for the Caddy so I'll have one more process of keeping things cool...spraying meth progressively anytime the throttle goes to full.

Last edited by Paul Datars on 1/29/13 12:39 PM; edited 1 time in total

sandiway

1/29/13 11:12 AM

> not only no 11 spd for me, I'm still running 9 spd with no view to upgrade.

Hmm with a wide ranging cassette, wouldn't you appreciate the two extra cogs?... though I'm not sure what the available cassettes for the new 11-speed will be. For example, a 11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-26-29 would suffice for everything but the steepest sections of the Catskills.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Paul Datars

1/29/13 12:37 PM

I think if I spent any amount of time riding my 'Catskills' bike on flat land I certainly would appreciate the extra 2 cogs but in such lumpy territory I just can't be bothered.

I did however recently get a pair of 808 Firecrest clinchers for the Catskills bike (which is still based on the same custom Ghisallo frame I got way back in '05) and love them. They are noticably more stable in high speed gusty wind situations. I've also added a Reynolds Ouzo Pro AERO fork to this bike, so now instead of a 14.2 it weighs in at 15.9 lbs, yet I'm way happier with it. It's certainly no slower going up hill and it's way faster everywhere else...well worth the 'cost' in both money and weight.

sandiway

1/30/13 3:15 PM

re: 808 Firecrest clinchers

They sound good and the weight penalty doesn't seem very severe if the posted weights are real. And I see if they're recent, they're compatible with 11 speeds.

Unfortunately, I'd have to get a 700c frame again to be able to take advantage of 82mm tall aero rims.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

sandiway

2/12/13 11:51 AM

404 firecrest

I just read Zipp is going to release Firecrest 404 in 650c (Mirinda Carfrae's bike) ... shame, it's not 808...

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -