CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT -- Does this gadget exist? (cell phone)
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sandiway

1/30/13 3:55 PM

re: glasses for the elderly

Me. Presbyopia. Actually, accentuated when I got iLasiked.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

1/30/13 4:57 PM

Pocketses

quote:
I think pockets are generally overrated, as things get ejected or fall out from them frequently.

I couldn't disagree more. I have a routine for arraying equipment about my person in various pockets that is best expressed by the beginning of the bedroom scene in "Line of Fire." Wallet, glucose tabs, keys, knife, coin purse, cell phone, pen(s). I have developed a fondness for vests based mostly on the ability to have more pockets.

My spouse, whose clothing contains virtually no pockets, is very jealous, and relies on an old Eagle Creek guide bag (the buckle of which has just given out after more than a decade).

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

April

1/30/13 6:08 PM

re: glasses for the elderly

I'm probably one of the youngest on here. The only reason I'm not needing reading glasses is because my eyes can't be Lasiked! (so I can still just take off my regular glasses to read)

Bags:

"My spouse, whose clothing contains virtually no pockets, is very jealous, and relies on an old Eagle Creek guide bag "

I'm beyond jealous. For reason I won't go into, I can't rely on bags. Or I risk losing them all, bag and content. (yes, it's more than just forgetfulness)

sandiway

1/30/13 7:57 PM

let me get this straight

So April, you can't rely on bags (petty theft?) and you ain't got no pockets... what do you use?

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/30/13 8:15 PM

" I have a routine for arraying equipment about my person in various pockets that is best expressed by the beginning of the bedroom scene in "Line of Fire." Wallet, glucose tabs, keys, knife, coin purse, cell phone, pen(s). I have developed a fondness for vests based mostly on the ability to have more pockets. "

I am thinking John Wayne movie, Hatari. Red Button's characters name was... wait for it... wait for it...

Pockets.

Steve B.

1/30/13 8:25 PM

" So April, you can't rely on bags (petty theft?) and you ain't got no pockets... what do you use? "

I am SO not going there !.

I'd rather debate guns with Eric and Brian.......

SB

Reply to topic    

April

1/30/13 9:16 PM

Get it straight

So I have to have pockets!

Like Andy who "developed a fondness for vest", I developed a fondness for pants/skirts with pockets!

It's not easy to find, not for a woman. But find them I must.

(I also try my best to NOT carry too much "stuff". Not too many keys, not too many CC in the wallet. That's why I HATE the new breed of big phones! )

It's only at home that I wear clothing without pockets.

Andy M-S

1/31/13 4:11 AM

If you haven't seen Line of Fire...

You just won't get it. It's more about taking things out--but my spouse is reminded of it on occasion. Worth seeing in any event, Clint Eastwood as Secret Service agent.

EDIT: Sorry, it's "In the Line of Fire"

Last edited by Andy M-S on 1/31/13 4:21 AM; edited 1 time in total

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

1/31/13 4:11 AM

How about and armband like I use when I run? Your phone would always be handy.

April

1/31/13 8:51 AM

no armband

Never my taste to carry things that way.

Actually, never my taste to "carry" anything at all. Prefer to have it nearby but not ON me. (at home anyway, traveling is a different matter -- things need to be "in" me, i.e. inside pocket or pocket with button/flap/zipper)

sandiway

1/31/13 12:16 PM

Re: armband

Erik,

I can't stand armbands when I run.
The asymmetry just doesnt feel right.
And that was With a nano. With an iPhone it would be even heavier...

I can't understand how some people run holding a water bottle

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

1/31/13 3:21 PM

OK...here

There used to be lightweight vests for fishing and photography that were almost literally covered with pockets. I always thought they were a good idea, but my spouse (who tolerates the vests I buy, at best) thought those were the epitome of geekiness and vetoed my purchase.

But. Such a thing *might* be comfortable enough to wear in the house. You know--get home, kick off the shoes, put on the vest. The problem is having to transfer things from wherever they were into the vest (and later, vice-versa). But it has the advantage of being centered, secure, and of those being real and secure pockets.

April

1/31/13 6:09 PM

Why would you need to carry stuff on you while in the house?

walter

1/31/13 7:01 PM

sandy: european carry-all

But its still a purse!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-d_VAWyCFE8

dan emery

2/1/13 4:22 AM

great thread

This is like a Seinfeld episode.

Reply to topic    

ErikS

2/1/13 5:31 AM

So what we have figured out.

April likes to dance around her house naked and does not like to carry her phone.

Next up,

"The Contest"

I'm out. Hahahaha!

April

2/1/13 8:55 AM

Need a little help with American humor

quote:
April likes to dance around her house naked and does not like to carry her phone.

I know it's said tongue-in-cheek, and is supposed to be funny. And given the average age of the forum, we're all past the age to be "sensitive" about such topics.

Still, I found myself the only one who look around mystified after the punch line as to what so funny. Because...

quote:

More over, in the summer, I do wear clothing that are light and airy. Having a 1 pound and half phone in the pocket (even if pocket exist) really doesn't work too well. )

So no, carrying the phone around the house is not a solution.

I know there were multiple reference of being naked, but those were appropriate in the context so I didn't exactly find them funny nor offensive. Just part of the conversation.

How did those two quotes equate is what escaped me. This isn't the first time I miss a joke of this nature. So can someone enlighten me on this particular aspect of American humor? :D

Sparky

2/1/13 10:17 AM

Absurdity in humor, slight component used there if that is what you mean. It is sorta like sarcastic humor in practice, only without the sarcasm. Or maybe just a little of it perhaps...

Rather than a joke in itself, more like a amusing light painted on an aspect of a scenario/conversation.

daddy-o

2/1/13 11:00 AM

Yeah, I thought I may have pushed it too far myself earlier too.

I'll forward my explanation of the humor behind what I think might be Erik's being tired of the thread.

Absurdity, parody, slapstick.

Seinfeld examines and inflates to absurdity the common snags of every day life. The "nothings" we shrug off. It's been called a show about nothing and it is a clear example of "making something out of nothing." This thread is similar because in the much vaunted convenience of the cell phone lies the flaw that it can only be in one room of a house, but land lines can be located in every room, including the bathroom. The necessity of phones in every room is a parody of our self importance - that is - if we are so important why do we need to answer the phone while we are brushing our teeth? If we are so important will they not call back? Finally slapstick, physical humor, that someone must run all over the house because they have no pockets, whether by design (clothing) or default (our birthday suits.)

Birthday suit, that might not translate but it is such a great and simple polite way to say the clothes you were born in. That's absurd, babies aren't born wearing clothes!

sandiway

2/1/13 11:34 AM

culture

April,

First of all, let me apologize if I caused any discomfort, after all, I was the one who first mentioned nakedness in the thread. My intention was simply to tease you a bit, and you responded well.

With respect to culture, I didn't understand what Erik said either, but then I looked it up. This is the episode of Seinfeld he was referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAvANRCgCDM

Enjoy!

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

ErikS

2/1/13 5:18 PM

Cross culture? I never thought my reference to the most popular episode ever of one the funniest American sitcoms would not fly.

I stand corrected and apologize for any discomfort the reference inferred.

It is a very funny show to most adult Americans.

I hope the humor does not escape you because of the cultural differences.

April

2/1/13 7:42 PM

Ha!

quote:
I never thought my reference to the most popular episode ever of one the funniest American sitcoms would not fly.

The slight problem being I never watched sitcom at all!

(that might also explain some of my not "getting the joke", if I don't know the background)

I'll have to watch it to see if I "get it". That's at least test the "cultural" side of it.

quote:
I stand corrected and apologize for any discomfort the reference inferred.

No discomfort. Just a bit mystified. Now understand. Thanks all for the explanation.

ErikS

2/1/13 8:13 PM

You have damn good English and have lived in and worked in NYC. I suspect you would enjoy the show after you grasp that it is a show about nothing and the the nut cases that live nutty lives.

The writer, and star is a vary famous American comic, Jerry Seinfield.

Andy M-S

2/2/13 6:45 AM

I have to confess

that I never saw Seinfeld except for the final episode. And I only saw that because I was with a group sent to represent our company at a users' group meeting, and several members of the group insisted that we find a place to eat that had a TV going, so that we didn't miss the last episode.

I dunno. I enjoyed the show, but...

ErikS

2/2/13 7:01 AM

The last episode was not good.

The mid seasons were the best.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -