HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Bushfires

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Nick Payne

1/13/13 2:20 PM

Bushfires

Because of all the fires burning we've had to restrict our rides into the surrounding country. Most days lately have been total fire ban, and a lot of them pretty windy and with a lot of smoke haze. A grass fire can easily outrun a bicycle on a windy day...

A couple of photos from the local media. The first was taken just up the road at Adjungbilly a few days ago, the second shows Siding Spring Observatory yesterday - the big dome is the 150" telescope.

It's a bit eerie that this is exactly the tenth anniversary of the fires we had here in Canberra that destroyed about 500 houses and Mt Stromlo Observatory.

Reply to topic    

Evan Marks

1/13/13 7:41 PM

Terrible.

A friend who lives in the hills above Boulder, CO experiences this on a regular basis, year-round. Frightening.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

1/13/13 7:49 PM

Agree with Evan.

They are remarkably frightening when you are close, and that first photo is close.

I was in New Mexico a few years when the fires marched through Los Alamos, as well as many area's of the Nat'l Forest I would bike in. Scary to watch, especially at night, even though I knew it was 20 mile away and across a river !.

I feel for all you Aussies, it's a tough time for everyone, especially the Tasses.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -