View posts since last visit

Lance Taping Interview w/Oprah
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Tom Price

1/8/13 10:37 PM

Lance Taping Interview w/Oprah

http://www.oprah.com/pressroom/Lance-Armstrong-on-Oprahs-Next-Chapter

Should be interesting. How much ducking and weaving can he do?

The OWN network is a joint venture between Harpo, Inc. and Discovery Communications, the former sponsor of Armstrong’s team from 2005 to 2007.

Last edited by Tom Price on 1/9/13 9:52 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

1/9/13 4:05 AM

My response.

Meh. So what. He lied to long for it to matter.

dan emery

1/9/13 4:11 AM

Well

There were reports last week that he was "weighing" a confession. Guess we'll find out.

Reply to topic    

Wayne

1/9/13 4:40 AM

Good move on his part. I have no idea what his lawyers will allow him to say but it will reach his target audience and allow him to get his talking points across unmolested. Oprah knows fuck all about doping in cycling or any sport and won't ask any tough follow up questions.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

1/9/13 7:47 AM

Oprah's not dumb or ignorant, and her show ain't 60 minutes. Doping gossip isn't exactly rocket science either, she'll be up to speed in 5 minutes. What's important is the vehicle, and the Oprah Show must think it's a bicycle now and they've got Lance freaking Armstrong in the saddle for the ratings race.

Now what are the English odds he'll say he didn't dope?

dddd

1/9/13 11:51 AM

"There were reports last week that he was "weighing" a confession. Guess we'll find out."

Interesting! Did those reports originate with any of "Lance's people"?

Wouldn't it be something if Lance and LeMond both came out together, not that they would have been using the same methods (or to equal effect), but a distant possibility imo.

Once Lance gets used to his new status as "convicted", seems to me he would be more likely to consider a "confession" as a career-booster instead of the opposite.

Reply to topic    

Wayne

1/9/13 1:38 PM

quote:
Now what are the English odds he'll say he didn't dope?

If I had to bet, mine would be that he will not clearly confess. He will continue with the most tested, never failed a test, etc.

Easily handle any softball questions that Oprah might throw out about him testing positive or how he avoided testing positive, and she won't have the knowledge to ask an appropriate follow up.

It will be a lot about his feelings and cancer and family, etc. I think it will be interesting to hear what he has to say about his ill-treatment of former friends/colleagues who came clean about their doping or others who were critical of him, but who knows Oprah might even not bring that up.

I wouldn't be surprised for him to give some acknowledgement to the endemic doping that was present in the sport at the time (which would be new ground for him) and for him to do the old school confession without really confessing bit (e.g., "I did what was necessary to win" or something along those lines").

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/9/13 3:05 PM

confession weighing reports

>>Interesting! Did those reports originate with any of "Lance's people"? <<

The reports were in an article in the New York Times (which I haven't read).
One commentator suggested that the article was based on leaks sent out as a "trial balloon" by Lance's camp, but I know no more than that.

I of course have no knowledge what he will say, but my guess would be a fairly complete confession, with remorse. If he is getting good PR advice, I suspect it would be that such a complete confession is his only chance of getting beyond this. If it's more stonewalling or a self-serving "modified limited hangout" it's zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I don't think Oprah is quite the softie as suggested, and I'm not sure why she'd agree to a zzzzzzzzzzzzzz interview (or one in which she plays the fool). But time will tell.

I think she did an interview a while back with a guy who admitted that his book, which had been presented as fact, was fake.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

1/9/13 3:34 PM

I'd be floored if he got immunity from perjury re SCA...amnesty I get, but the perjury is an actual crime (ie not victimless)..

mag7

1/9/13 4:37 PM

From Sally Jenkins and Graham Watson and a whole bunch of people in between still idolize LA and he feeds off of that like a piranha in a bowl full of goldfish.
They are all regular gulpers of the LA Kool-Aid.
Can't see him putting a poison pill in their juice by confessing, at least, not to "O."
If he DOES that, man, he must be hurting but he strikes me as a guy who decides what to feel and how much.
And if you rain on his champs parade, you are ejected without a parachute from his life.
I see this as a ploy to soothe his fan club, put a couple more sugar cubes in their Kool-Aid glass, and tell the truth....which is the lie that he has made into truth over the years.
Armstrong's mental grip on his supporters might be more impressive than his TdF wins....of course, impressive is the wrong word...more like depressive.

Rickk

1/9/13 8:17 PM

Sally Jenkins a naive goldfish & L.A. Koolaid drinker?

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Opinion/Sally_Jenkins_Omission_3280.html

Excerpt:
Comment by: Andy Schwartz · Distributor Sales Manager at Zero gravity racing:

"...maybe she (ie Sally Jenkins) is not angry with lance because she made a bunch of money writing books for him. maybe she would be angry with lance if he was responsible for the destruction of her bike company (like greg lemond) or he welched on a promise to you to fund your bike shop (mike anderson) or he pressured you to take PED's to stay on his team so you could make a better living or make the tour de france squad (many teamates) or if you are a cancer patient and discover that money his foundation raised went towards "awareness" rather than the research he inferred, or if you worked at SCA productions and had to pay him $7.5 million based on his purgery, or if he chased you down as he did Fillipo Simeoni for speaking out against the leading doping doctor of the age and preventing you from having a good career in the sport, I can keep going by the way!"

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/13/13 10:20 AM

The special 90-minute Thursday night episode of Oprah's Next Chapter will air Thursday, January 17 (9:00 – 10:30 p.m. ET/PT) on OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network. In addition-the interview will be simultaneously streamed LIVE worldwide on Oprah.com.

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/pressroom/Lance-Armstrong-on-Oprahs-Next-Chapter#ixzz2HS0tQpSq

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

1/13/13 11:39 AM

Oprah's network will finally get viewers. For one interview at least.

Tom Price

1/13/13 8:51 PM

Armstrong Bingo

Something to do when you watch Lance on Thursday.

http://drunkcyclist.com/2013/01/09/bingostrong/

dan emery

1/14/13 9:14 AM

one view

Presented strictly on a FWIW basis (though I have seen Kurtz for years on various PBS shows and think he is pretty credible):

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/14/opinion/kurtz-lance-armstrong/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

1/14/13 12:41 PM

@Erik: you can bet they'll be pushing her other content big time. I think Dan's link stated they have 325K viewers.
"After this break everyone welcome the great Lance Armstrong"
"After this break tell us about your childhood"
"After this break tell us about your early career"
"After this break tell us about your professional motivation"
"After this break tell us about your cancer"
"After this break tell us about your

Hardly any time for bingo, but I'll have my card ready!

mag7

1/14/13 9:37 PM

Buzz Bissinger stinging mad...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/01/14/buzz-bissinger-i-was-deluded-to-believe-lance-armstrong-when-he-denied-doping.html

Video to Fleetwood Mac "Tell me Lies" is well done.

dddd

1/17/13 3:09 PM

So, I see they're dragging this interview out to 1.5 hrs.

Oh well, no worse than having the TV on, er, "watching" the "news".

And not like I'll have to miss race#3 of the Supercross series.

Bring it on, Oprah. We're ready.

Last edited by dddd on 1/17/13 3:17 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

PLee

1/17/13 3:12 PM

Actually, it's 1.5 hours per night for two nights, no?

Reply to topic    

bikerjohnpostal

1/17/13 7:50 PM

"It's the Water"

Now that brings back some memories. Olympia was the the cheap beer of choice in college. We'd always say - It's the water!! Thanks for bringing back those memories!

Reply to topic    

dddd

1/17/13 9:07 PM

Sorry I can't hand you one, it's actually a super smooth-drinking brew, and at very low cost around here. Tastes good at almost any temperature.
I consider it sort of a US-made Corona.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/17/13 9:36 PM

Betsy is on CNN, she is fooking pissed!!

I gotta say, after seeing it. Lance is a Colossal Jerk.

Funny part to me is he thinks he is no longer one as a result of this process.

A malignant narcissist I have to say.

Last edited by Sparky on 1/17/13 9:50 PM; edited 1 time in total

bikerjohnpostal

1/17/13 9:47 PM

Sparky

Let's see, a guy who has only made fun of you for years, bullied you, belittled you, sued you, and basically ruined your spouses method of earning a living is sitting in their third house, which happens to be in Hawaii and easily accesible by a private jet, almost says their sorry, but never quite gets to saying your sorry who instead says that I never called you fat and has that little smug smile while doing an interview with Oprah that has been advertised on every network for the past week.

Yeah, I think she has every right to be a little pissed.....

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/17/13 9:53 PM

"Yeah, I think she has every right to be a little pissed"

No doubt. How he managed to keep her on the phone for 40 minutes as they both state is beyond me. Unless she was recording it, if yo know what I mean.

mag7

1/17/13 10:34 PM

what must Johan be thinking about now...Liggett...and all the Kool-Aid drinkers, er, pukers.
Winning, no matter what it takes or who you hurt.
All I can figure is he is doing what he must to get back to competition as he looks to be keeping himself in great shape.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -