Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Saw The Hobbit....

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Wheels

1/3/13 12:19 PM

Saw The Hobbit....

disappointed.

Saw it in 3D, but not the 48 FPS version. Jackson is becoming the George Lucas of the Star Wars as far as story telling/directing. The Hobbit, IMHO, will be a so so compared to the LOTR.

My take on the movie was:

- Scenes WAY Too Long - Scenes were dragged out for many minutes instead of 1 to 2.
    - Non Original book characters involved in several scenes, some with lengthy scenes for them only.
    - Unbelievable battle scenes - A band of 13 dwarves killing and holding off 1000's of orcs and goblins without losing anyone.
    - Unbelievable falls without injury. There seems to be no limit on height of falls without injury.
    - Sensory overload with the overuse of 3D.
    - Huh? Scenes as why was that needed?

The riddle scene with Gollum was very good, but the opening scenes could have been condensed from 10 minutes to 2. I don't know why the first scene was even in the movie except to back-tie it with the LOTR. Just a waste of time.

Unlike the LOTR,which follow the books pretty well, JRR's Original Book (The Hobbit) is loosely followed here as the "main" story, with a lot fluff, side stories, and extended scenes.

Unless your a have a real need to see it in the theater, don't bother. Either wait for it on DVD or on cable. Folks the enjoy Tolkien writings may be very disappointed.

The Hobbit could have easily been made in a 3 h movie and done well. 2 movies @ 2 h each, I could buy into that too. 3 Movies....Seriously? .

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/3/13 12:31 PM

Went to see Les Mis with wife first, and it became apparent quickly it was a mistake for my pinched femoral nerve. Managed to stay in the back with no seat in front of me with some serious stretching room the pain dulled well enough to not get up and go home. [And cme back for E later] it was close...

Thus, Elaine went to see the hobbit Solo, and agrees with Wheel assessment, particularly the wait for the DVD. But take into consideration, we have a 108" screen and projector. So if you just got a 32" LCD, let's face it. A lot to be said for most movie on the big screen. So that may be the determining factor.

I am waiting...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Pat Clancy

1/3/13 3:54 PM

Hobbit and Life of Pi

Re: the Hobbit, I agree with much of your criticism, particularly about the battle scene in the orc's mountain lair and the repeated falls with essentially no injuries. I also did not like the treatment of Radaghast. Although only briefly mentioned in the Hobbit and LotR books, if you are familiar with the Middle Earth back story, you know that like Gandalf and Saruman, he is a Maiar - a being of near angelic status. He is little more than a joke in the movie.

However, if you are a LotR fan, I think you owe it to yourself to see it on the big screen. Unless you have a huge screen TV, fancy sound system, and sit close, it won't have the same impact.

Also saw the Life of Pi a couple of days ago. Wonderful production and imagery, but I'm at a loss how to take the alternate explanation offered at the end. I'd still recommend it.

Andy M-S

1/3/13 4:11 PM

I actually enjoyed The Hobbit

Which is weird, 'cause I hated the LOTR films. I found them book-slavish, save for the fact that they omitted my favorite character (guess).

TH, on the other hand, was a lot of fun (and I didn't like the book that much to start with) except for the sequence that made me sit up and shout "May you rot in hell, Guillermo del Toro!

Wayne

1/3/13 5:10 PM

That was pretty much my take on the movie as well.

I liked Jackson not well after the LOTR movies, now I like him even less.

For my money he's basically a Hollywood hack, over reliant on CGI, not much better than any other Hollywood movie that relies on special effects and "action".

I just saw Django Unchained and I thought that was excellent. IMO, the best Tarantino films in a while. Unlike Inglorious Bastards that had a few exceptional scenes but for me was lacking as whole, I thought he pulled this one off as a whole.

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

1/3/13 6:18 PM

I am a Tolkien fan. I hated the Hobbit. How dare Jackson add BS characters to a classic book.

Like adding jaws to Moby Dick.

The action scenes where over the top nonstop and took over what is really a very well written story.

Boo Hiss

Andy M-S

1/4/13 8:47 AM

NB

I said I liked it, not that it was a great (or even good) film! There are plenty of bad films out there, but not all of them are enjoyable (I once got stuck sitting through Transformers).

Sparky

1/4/13 11:50 AM

Well I loved it when I read it, and lost interest in the second helping due to the transition to what I consider{ed} dark dark dark.

I felt the same way about the LOT movies, and sorta am looking forward to the 1st/revese installment. It has been SO many years since I read the book, I doubt I will have any congruency issues.

Now that next Star Trek installment....

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -