HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Bike Shipping Costs

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
henoch

12/12/12 8:48 AM

Bike Shipping Costs

Has anyone shipped a bike recently?I am trying to sell a Mt Bike and am trying to figure out how much to charge the person.
It will be going from NY to FL.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/12/12 9:09 AM

Costs have gotten out of hand. We decided to drive a MTB up to Spokane for our kids. We of course spent more on a two day trip 365 miles each way. But the vapor cost of the bike shipped solo, and the kids not really having the know how to un-box and make ride able etc.. I can not even imagine a coast to coast shipping of a 30+ lb bike.

More of a rant than any useful help I am afraid.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Dave B

12/12/12 11:44 AM

Fed Ex and UPS Web sites

Go to the Fed Ex and UPS web sites. both have a shipping rate calculator that lets you put in your Zip code or city, the destination Zip Code or city and the package weight and dimensions. They will give you the exact shipping cost.

lrzipris

12/12/12 12:15 PM

A month ago, I shipped two bikes by UPS from WA to PA, insuring one for ~$500, the other for ~$6K. Including REI's fee to dissassembly and box (~$75), total was ~$325.

Reply to topic    

henoch

12/12/12 12:55 PM

So your saying that shipping was around $125 per bike? wow that's allot.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/12/12 1:25 PM

IIRC, the MTB was $127.00 to Spokane. With a 'mail boxes etc' around $170.00.

I could have dismantled it to get it in a smaller box, but the kids have no wrenching skills. And taking it to a LBS... I digress

I cut up the box and went up in the Equinox.

lrzipris

12/12/12 1:40 PM

I don't recall the exact figures, but insurance was a significant part of the cost, particularly on my Spectrum.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

12/15/12 12:55 PM

I just worked up a FedEx ground shipment online for my Calfee frame and fork to send out for a repaint. With $800 insurance it is $63 from the east to the west. I expected it to be $45. The box is slightly bigger than a frame box, so that may affect the cost.

Sparky

12/15/12 1:10 PM

"The box is slightly bigger than a frame box, so that may affect the cost."

I forget the exact meas., but over (combined meas) like 39" it goes as a 75 lb no matter what it may weigh under that, or similar.

That was the issue with the MTB to SPokane.

The Specialized Roubaix Frame/set was around 30.00 Reno to PDX, which surprised me. Fork Turned backwards, still installed though. Miniscule weight, but also under that 75 lb imposed threshold size wise. Or a mistake by the shipping clerk perhaps. ;)

Still using a tape measure, lot.

zeke

12/15/12 8:32 PM

I shipped a bike from Rochester, NY to Maine this summer for ~$80 each way, including insurance.

On the way there, I used FedEx Ground. That was by far the best and cheapest option. It arrived in 3-4 days. When I tried to go to a local FedEx place in Maine to ship the bike back, they quoted me $200 to ship the bike home and said the higher cost was because each local FedEx dealer negotiates its own rates, and their rates were higher. So I took it to the post office and shipped it the cheapest "freight" option they had available. It was also $80-ish, but it took about 3 weeks to get home to me, and I had no good way to track it.

Reply to topic    

dddd

12/16/12 12:04 AM

I shipped a very large road frame/fork using Fedex, and it was only $47 within the State of California, 650 miles away.

Gotta watch those box dimensions, I used to use USPS for a few frames and the price could double if it was one inch over the limit of length plus girth iir.
Even shipping 700c wheelsets can cost over $45 if the box isn't as small as it can be, at least with USPS. I'm sticking with FEDEX, but there are horror stories with any of the deliverers I'm told.

Reply to topic    

Stanley83

12/16/12 10:18 AM

ShipBikes.com

I recently used ShipBikes.com to ship a friend's bike from MA to CA. I did the packing on my end, using a standard bike box. I had it picked up at my house and had it shipped to a bike shop on his end. The cost was appreciably less than using one of the shipping companies. Their site has a cost calculator.

Sparky

12/16/12 12:37 PM

I think if picked up and then shipped to a biz addy, it will be as low as possible.

The residential delivery addy is the killer perhaps.

----
Anyone ever tried general delivery to a PO location, where the recip has to go to the PO to pick up? Just an idea.

I think I will try that with the Mag trainer I am giving my kid.

dddd

12/16/12 2:14 PM

"The residential delivery addy is the killer perhaps."

Interesting to note. I shipped that huge Motobecane Team Champion frame to the buyer's framebuilder's address in San Diego iir.

Reply to topic    

Anthony Smith

12/19/12 8:58 AM

Fed EX

We ship with Fed Ex and a bike in a bike box is usually 25-70 dollars depending on where it is going. Ground option is cheapest, but only goes to business addresses, "home delivery" is a little more than ground but goes to residential addresses only. Obviously air and overnight are outrageous.

If you open an account with Fed Ex, do your shipping entry online and have your Fed Ex account bill to a credit card, you get an almost 25% discount off the listed rates. Once the box is packed and you have the shipping label on it (printed off your computer after you have inputted the shipment with Fed Ex) you can drop it off at a Fed Ex terminal or at any Office Max and away it goes.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

12/19/12 12:12 PM

Not Allowed?

quote:
Anyone ever tried general delivery to a PO location, where the recip has to go to the PO to pick up? Just an idea.

I don't think UPS or FedEx will accept a PO box or "General Delivery" address. You have to specify an individual address whether business or residential.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -