HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

HR and heat

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
RCoapman

7/28/23 6:27 PM

HR and heat

Did about 50mi this morning. I'm not good in anything over 80F and it was that when I started my ride, about 93 when I finished.

The heat punished me the entire ride, could not complete MIET intervals. Had originally thought to go farther but when I emptied 4 bottles in 2hr and had to stop at a convenience store for gatorade (something I never do) and the salt crsytals were a good 5mm thick on my bibs I called it.

The entire ride my HR was 30bpm higher than expected at X power, whatever that power was. At a wattage where I can normally cruise along at easily 125bpm I was hitting 155, and so forth. Kind of a silly question but is that normal? I don't feel like anything was amiss other than the heat but 30bpm seems like a huge amount.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/28/23 6:47 PM

Be careful there dude. Listen to your physiology...

You ain't no spring chicken... You are the other older kind now... Plain old Chicken..

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

RCoapman

7/29/23 12:34 PM

Not as hot today, still wiped after 50mi, though. HR was only 10-15bom above expectations so writing this off to the temperature. BP is good, not feeling anything out of the ordinary. Was just surprised at the huge energy drain from the heat. Annoying.

Reply to topic    

Kramer

7/29/23 1:01 PM

Sure it isn't the humidity/dewpoint?

Not sure where you are located but here in Virginia the dewpoints have been off the charts. Dewpoints above 60 are the old highs. We've had a few weeks of 70+, one day was 76 and it was kicking my arse. Early day rides are the worst as the RH is high due to the DP and the Air Temp being close to each other.

With all the humidity, your body's radiator may not be keeping up. Mine surely wasn't. Took about 4 weeks to feel 95% of myself.

I'm almost 52 and this is the worst I've ever done with humidity.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

7/30/23 5:09 AM

I'm sure that had something to do with it. The air was definitely most. Sucked all the energy out of my legs.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

7/30/23 5:19 PM

Back when I used to keep track of my HR it was 10 bpm higher at 85F than at 70F, and higher still as it got to 90. The message is "back off when it's really hot." And as Kramer says, humidity plays a big role too.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -