HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Electronic Shifting

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Andy M-S

7/7/23 9:16 AM

Electronic Shifting

Earlier today, I noticed that my indexed shifting wasn't quite as crisp as it could be (remember that I'm new to index shifting, so be gentle). A small tweak to the DT adjuster while riding fixed that.

Which led me to wonder--how do Shimano/SRAM/etc. handle this in electronic shifting systems?

My only experience with electronic shifting was the Archer unit, and adjustment there was mainly done through a phone app, though small adjustments were possible with the shifter on the bars.

Do the various eShifting systems do that, or do they autoadjust? Some years ago I posted here that I would like an automagic shifter, one that looked at the cassette and chain with a sensor and so that knew where to move the chain--IME that would be the perfect system.

But how do existing systems work if, for example, you bump the derailer against something or someone?[/i]

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

7/7/23 9:41 AM

Di2 has a trim mode. You hold the A junction button until it goes into the mode. Then a tap of up or down STi button trims in that direction 1/10mm or something. The press A junct button until it leaves mode. Led state show when you are in and out of the mode.

I put chain on middle cog and adjust it by eye. FWIW, When I use 11s campy wheel/cassette I usually have to tweak a little VS w/Shimano cassette.

>>Googled, .25mm increments.

Side note: Di2 does auto FD trimming.

Bumping can put Di2 RD into crash mode. I don't recall how you get it out of that mode. Google to the rescue?

How do I get my Di2 out of crash mode?
To reset crash mode on 10-speed (6770) and 11-speed Di2 (6870, 9070, R8050, R9150, GRX), you get on your bike and press and hold the button on your junction box for 5 seconds until a red light flashes. The rear derailleur will now go through all the gears, so make sure sure you spin the cranks until it's done.

RCoapman

7/7/23 9:58 AM

campy also has a trim mode.

Having massive issues with my SR EPS, tbh. I mean, it works, but I can't set it up without there being 1-3 LOUD gears in the middle of the cassette, usually somewhere between cog 4-7. By loud i mean it sounds like it's not centered on the cog properly, get that chunk-a-chunk-a-chunk-a sound, but the shifting is fine.

Rezeroing may move the loud gears up or down a few cogs but I can't get rid if it, driving me absolutely mad. Really regretting the spend on this group, should have gone with SRAM.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/7/23 10:36 AM

What level cassette? Are all the spacers in right places? And what chain and level and is it asymmetrical and put on correctly?

I still like my 2014 SR Ti/Cult best. ;)

And I got a lot of Di2.

But also like the Gevenalle I just had to try a few years back, that are there to stay. Wonky looking, but function and access city. I saw a lot of city folks using them, and CX of course. Seems the exact right place for shifty bits.

I also do like the Di2 remote switches, experimented with lots and lot of locations on those...

Last edited by Sparky on 7/7/23 10:48 AM; edited 3 times in total

Brian Nystrom

7/7/23 10:43 AM

I assume you're using a Campy cassette?

Firs, check that the lock ring is really tight.

Next, check the spacing between the cogs to see if it's even. If there are any questions, see if you can find an Allen wrench or drill bit that fits between the cogs to use as a gauge, or make something from whatever you have on-hand. I'm not sure about the current cassettes, but some of Campy's older cassette have spacers with different thicknesses and mixing them up when installing the cassette can cause problems similar to what you described.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/7/23 10:49 AM

I see Brian got there while I was editing... ;)

RCoapman

7/7/23 10:56 AM

All brand new Campy. Will check spacers but the offending cogs will change when I re-zero. I would assume that a wrong spacer would cause issues on the same 2 cogs all the time but that's not what's happening...it ranges over the course of 4 different ones depending on the zero.

I've read that older versions of EPS were insanely finicky so I'm taking it to the shop to have them sort out and then teach me

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/7/23 10:58 AM

"I would assume that a wrong spacer would cause issues on the same 2 cogs all the time"

I wouldn't ;)

RCoapman

7/7/23 1:51 PM

blah. Well, it's with the LBS anyway. I've asked them to do whatever is necessary to nail down the finicky process and then show me how to do it.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

7/9/23 6:34 AM

With eTap (which is the only electronic shifting I've used) there is a small button on the inside of each shift lever, and if you hold that button as you press the lever, instead of performing a shift, it adjusts the position of the RD by something like 0.2mm. Doing that on the right lever will adjust outwards, on the left inwards. You can do this while riding along if you find that the derailleur is slightly out of adjustment, as I did the other day while taking a newly setup bike out for its first ride.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/9/23 11:33 AM

I've done it rolling as well...

Andy M-S

7/10/23 7:44 AM

Thanks, all!

Interesting. It was sort of an idle curiosity thing, but I'm glad to know the answer(s). Unlikely ever to e^Haffect me ;-).

I still think a system that actually looked at the drivetrain would be superior, but we may not yet be quite there in terms of technology. Such a system would obviate the need for matching shift levers to cassettes, though, and that would be a Good Thing (tm)(C).

Last edited by Andy M-S on 7/10/23 10:03 AM; edited 1 time in total

Sparky

7/10/23 8:58 AM

??matching shift levers to cassettes??

Andy M-S

7/10/23 9:55 AM

Sparky:

If the shifter/derailer can see to change the gears, then you don't need "a 10-speed system" (or 9 or 7 or 11 or whatever)--you can pop most any wheel into the bike and shifting will work, because the system isn't based on discrete intervals. But that's likely a few years down the line, if ever.

Sparky

7/10/23 12:22 PM

well, with Shimano Di2 I've run 10s wheel on 11s with a diddle so you don't climb over cassette. And run 11s wheel/cassette on a 10s bikes, just gotta use 11s chain.

Mix my 11s Campy wheels with 11s Shimano readily.

right now my SR EP Nago has a SH 11-30 on it, and my RSL/SLR has a Campy wheel with 11-32 Campy cassette.

No 12s interest for me... yet..

dan emery

7/16/23 4:06 PM

Thanks Nick! I also have an eTap bike, and I wasn’t having big problems, but a couple of up shifts were a bit balky. I’m such a dumba$$ I didn’t even know about that adjustment, but it smoothed things right out.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -