Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Back in the Saddle Again

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Andy M-S

8/27/22 10:21 AM

Back in the Saddle Again

On August 9, this happened:

I was lucky; I got out with a concussion and a broken shoulder blade (left).

Today I rode my bike for the first time since the collision. It felt GREAT!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

RCoapman

8/27/22 12:09 PM

You did that with your bike? Holy shit, how fast were you going?!?!?!

But seriously, glad you're ok and back turning the pedals in anger. Assuming from the damage you were stopped or going much more slowly than the vehicle that hit you from behind. Hope you wore your brown pants that day....

Reply to topic    

dan emery

8/27/22 12:28 PM

Holy crap

I guess I don’t have to ask if the car was totaled….

Glad you’re OK and back on the bike.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/27/22 1:07 PM

Yikes, glad you are OK and rolling under your own power again...

Andy M-S

8/27/22 1:11 PM

I am told (b/c I don’t remember the accident) that the car v that hit me was going about 50 MPH. I had stopped for another accident ahead. Someone behind me didn’t show down, glanced off another car, hit mine at speed, then hit another relatively slowly. My car hit another lightly, and that was it. I woke up in the wreck, and then again at the hospital…

And I liked that car.

Sparky

8/27/22 1:17 PM

Hard to tell anymore, Fit? Looks like it would 'Fit' in a lot more places now...

I do not envy you needing to go buy a car in the current dynamics going on, for sure not!

Andy M-S

8/27/22 1:47 PM

I have decided to go car-free. I’m moving my office home, and meeting clients by remote means and/or nearby, traveling by bike, bus, and Uber/Lyft (so far, Lyft is cheaper). And in a real emergency, I can borrow my spouse’s car.

I did get more for the Fit than I paid for it, but that’s nowhere near what I would need to replace it.

Sparky

8/27/22 2:29 PM

Car free, how cool if you can pull it off. As far as Lyfting about, we wound up in April on the Sacramento leg of our So-CA romp-age doing lots if it with fantastic result.

After wasting 2 hours and a few miles walking from one unusable GIG EV to the next in the rain. Just phone Lyft registered and was picked up in like 12 minutes... under a tree in the rain next to the last GIG junker.

We had metro passes and decided to Lyft to the airport instead of bag dragging via buses.

So in a city area where there are a dozen Lyft cars floating about constantly, this worked very well.

Back to Fits:

The dealer we traded the Fit [for Bolt] sold our Fit in a few days for more than we paid for it new 38 months earlier. A year later that used Fit sells for 3k over what we paid new in 2018. Or more...

We were happy to get $3k less than we paid for it in trade for the Bolt 7/2021.

Car market is whack right now... Spent many hours with my Sis [So-Ca] in last 2 weeks [phone/txt/email], she got her new car last night.

The last few days of the month low ball strategy worked to my surprise. She did wind up all the way south from home in San Diego to get right deal. I was on the phone with her while in a Temecula dealer two days earlier and told her to get up and leave.

It is really no fun.

Andy M-S

8/27/22 2:45 PM

I got the Fit on a GREAT deal--a 2010 5-speed stick for $5,000 in 2016.

I bought it because it would fit my bike, with fenders , inside.

Of course, it had 100K on it at purchase. It never got less than 30 mpg and typically 35. 40 on long trips. I had it for 68,000 miles. Maintenance was truing the brake rotors once, two sets of tires (probably didn't need changing, but I'm a cyclist, you know), a couple of air filters and a few oil changes and tire rotations. Replaced a tire pressure sensor once, and the A/C relay went out, and that was $16 or so.

She was a good car, and I hated to see her wrecked; I had planned to keep her until the wheels fell off.

After my deductible, insurance paid me $6,040 or so.

Sparky

8/27/22 3:02 PM

Our Fit purchase was going to be for me. Manual Shift cheapo car, replacing the Prelude VT after all. But when we saw the CVT FIT got 7-8 mpg better, and like 12 or 13 better than the CRV/AWD we changed up the plan.

I told Elaine being that she was still commuting 12k a year, and I was driving 8k most [with trips] if she wanted the new car and we use the CRV for my local use and trips. So she picked out the color and got the new car for her work sled.

What a great little car it was. A civic after all really. My eldest still has a 2000s Civic EX manual shift, in place is the drive wheels off plan... It is not close to that by any means almost 20 years old...

After Elaine's 2015 CRV got totaled not even 2 years old. I drove her home from accident and did not follow an ambulance to the hospital. We decided newer 5 star rated cars only. My Prelude had a removable steering wheel and no air bag. This weighed heavy on my mind driving back to the house from the accident.

Last edited by Sparky on 8/27/22 3:07 PM; edited 1 time in total

Andy M-S

8/27/22 3:06 PM

Civic Wagon

Dimensionally, the Fit was nearly indistinguishable from the 91 Civic Wagon I owned for 15 years. The Fit had a bit less glass and much better safety features (and a bigger engine with better gas mileage) but otherwise...

Sparky

8/27/22 4:02 PM

I'll say this. Our mid 20_teens Hondas had the best seats outta any other cars we have owned...

Between comfort and ability to configure for a few different uses, excellent.

Andy M-S

5/8/23 7:50 AM

Still car-free

Well, I made it through the winter riding and taking buses, then sent my frame off for a repaint and now it's back and I'm not using buses nearly as much. These days, pretty much only when I need to wear a suit and go to court.

One car is pretty much enough for a family. And since one of our kids and their two kids (one preteen, one just-teen) moved in with us two months ago, and we already had one kid at home, this means six people, one car, and it's doable.

So that's one data point for the car-free lifestyle.

KerryIrons

5/9/23 8:29 AM

rehab

quote:
Today I rode my bike for the first time since the collision. It felt GREAT!

It is a great feeling to get back on the bike after a forced layoff. Don't ask me how I know. But 9 months seems a VERY long time to recover from your injuries as described. Was there a lot more to it? Right now I'm 5 weeks from a cracked pelvis (skiing) and looking forward to being able to ditch the crutches next week and get back on the road.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/9/23 8:51 AM

I forgot what a hit that Fit took. Seems you are lucky you where not banged up very badly, unless you've got residual/collateral issues lingering.

One car... I'd probably not want to drive at all any more after that frankly. I am down to 3-400 miles a month most any more. I admit envy on unlugging the extra car need. I need the van for dog and bike stuff. I wont ride from the house among the blunt skulls in 4 wheelers any more.

We actually sold the PHEV Pacifica to CarMax last week. It was depreciating way faster than what I was saving in gas @ 3-400 miles a month. The PHEV had just under 14k on it in 28 months. And that was with lots of trips 1st year-ish [covid].

I hope your Fit wreck has non lasting residual effect on your cycling, and body over all!!

Andy M-S

5/9/23 9:34 AM

Kerry—reviving an old thread. I was back on the bike with a month (see above);

Sparky—I used to enjoy driving; now I loathe it. Sometimes I have to use the family car, but I avoid it if there’s any alternative. Aside from that, I have some fairly minor residual physical issues (carrying a bag on my shoulder hurts a little) but I concede that I was EXTREMELY fortunate. Medical care (essentially two days of hospital examinations) was >$90,000…

Sparky

5/9/23 3:27 PM

>$90,000…

thank our legislators for that BS.

Glad my Part F max outta pocket is 234.00. ;O

Last edited by Sparky on 5/10/23 7:57 AM; edited 1 time in total

Andy M-S

5/10/23 6:42 AM

I'm not sure how much coverage the at-fault person has, but I keep plenty of uninsured/underinsured coverage.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -