HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Hard to get a mirror!

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

4/6/23 12:42 PM

Hard to get a mirror!

I've posted about my love for the Berthoud bar-end mirror. I own 3 of them, but wanted to get another for a gift. They are hard to get. I am on Rene Herse's list to be notified when they come in. Twice I've twice gotten emails early in the morning, immediately gone to order, and they've already sold out. That happened this morning, and I just got another email that I can pre-order and get one in the next batch in probably 6-8 weeks. So I did.

The testimonial from Ted King probably doesn't hurt....

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/6/23 3:42 PM

Put 284509161666 in eBay search field.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

4/6/23 4:44 PM

Well thanks but I don’t do eBay….

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/6/23 8:09 PM

Really? Why not? It seems that most items these days are "buy it now", not auctions, so you have to get into bidding and sniping. The mirror in question is a buy it now item from the UK.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

4/7/23 6:01 AM

I'm with Dan. Ebay doesn't interest me in any way. I used to use it a lot many years ago and then the cost to sell became offensive considering the minimal overhead per item. I'm not giving them 20% of the sale price when it costs maybe $.0001 to host the item. At scale they could charge a flat $0.50 or $1 per item and still rake in money hand over fist, the rates they do charge are criminal.

Also it is too much hassle sorting out shipping and dealing with individuals vs just checking out on an ecommerce site with established procedures

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/7/23 10:57 AM

Just offering an option.

Amazon or eBay [stores] are reliable and fast in my experience.

With something like that mirror, #beggers pretty much.

Selling on eBay, I quit doing that 15 years ago. And once they took sellers ability to post feedback to buyers.... But mostly fees I felt a bit too mercenary on both PP and eBait.

What amazes me is that I can get things that are shipped from overseas a lot of times faster than stateside vendors.

Brian Nystrom

4/7/23 5:51 PM

I have sold anything on Ebay in a long time, so I haven't encountered the issues you guys have. I do buy stuff there at times, when there's an item I can't find elsewhere or when an Ebay seller has the best price. In fact, I bought something last weekend that's being delivered tomorrow.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

4/8/23 12:10 AM

Have you tried purchasing it directly from Berthoud:

https://berthoudcycles.fr/en/153-rear-view-mirrors

Reply to topic    

dan emery

4/8/23 6:32 AM

Thanks Nick

I ordered one from Berthoud. I think I checked there a bit ago and they were out then.

Reply to topic    

PLee

4/11/23 1:18 PM

A growing problem with Amazon is the number of knock-offs being offered on their site. I just bought some kitchen tongs from them that, upon receipt, were clearly knockoffs of the original.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/11/23 1:48 PM

I get that a lot with guitar parts. If it does not say Genuine and Fender with the register logo, good chance it is not.

Intentional camouflaged wording is the best case, worst is right out fraud...

dfcas

4/11/23 4:41 PM

There are a lot of counterfeit items on ebay as well.

RCoapman

4/12/23 2:54 AM

I learned the hard way on amazon to limit any purchases not fulfilled by amazon. Of course there is no way to filter results on this as AMZ wants to sell as much as possible so it's a manual thing.

Bike parts, and as Bob mentions guitar stuff, of any quality is rarely sourced directly from AMZ so it's a manual check every time. I recently bought a new Fender Rumble amp and it was sold by the Fender Store so was pretty confident in that one. ;)

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

4/12/23 6:13 PM

I had an amusing experience a few years ago. A friend and I were in Kuala Lumpur on a work trip, and we went for a walk through an area with a lot of street stalls. I was looking at a table full of fake Rolexes and Omegas and the like, and commented to my friend: "These are quite convincing fakes". The stallholder sitting behind the table seemed a bit put out by this, and said: "No no, not fake, genuine imitation".

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

4/12/23 9:22 PM

Special price, my friend, just for you!

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -