Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Tubulars, tubulars.. Strong Bike share:

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

12/3/22 1:31 PM

Tubulars, tubulars.. Strong Bike share:

New Tubular Sneakers for winter, Strong/X2

2015 AllRoad got 36mm Challenge Strada Bianca Tubeless Tubulars. The big fatty glued to a 26.4 wide XTR rim and shows 2mm of base tape each side, perfecto!

My 2000 Strong not been getting any love with all the others in the house. But quick ride after 30mm version of same tires @ 75 PSI makes me remember what a babe of a machine it was/IS! It is still really such a nice bike #oldfart

Seeing them side by side makes me remember just how 'compact' the early road compact frame really where.

And a P6 HyFlex Snytace that proud, well that is some real cush I all but forgot about. That steel fork helps the ride, and near as cushy as the 36mm [37.5 aired up] on the Allroad. Riding old faithful today. ;)

Makes one recall on A/B comparisons how the disc frames are stiffer for disc forces to the detriment of liveliness I suppose...

Note the old bike 2CM head tube insert under the headset cup.. built 23 years ago, when I was 23 year younger obviously. The initial setup had 11.5 CM saddle to bar drop. History...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

12/3/22 2:50 PM

Liveliness

Nice bikes, nice tires.

Mentioning “liveliness” I’ve been noticing how “lively” my Breadwinner feels. I know, subjective, anecdotal, non tested, bike review drivel, but anyway….that’s what I feel.

And particularly compared to the Checkpoint, with similar geometry and tires. My first thought on the Breadwinner was, the bike somehow felt “narrower” sort of like I was balancing on a thinner track, but in a good way. The tires are slightly wider - 42 vs. 40. But the steel top tube of the Breadwinner is about 1” in diameter, whereas the carbon beam running across the the Checkpoint is about 2”. The handling of the Breadwinner is a little quicker, whereas the Checkpoint more stable, dead ahead. The bottom bracket of the Breadwinner is conventional, old school skinny steel, where the Checkpoint is a carbon brick. Subjectively, the Checkpoint is a “deader” ride.

The Breadwinner has a slightly shorter reach to the bars (around 1 cm, longer tt and shorter stem, probably an appropriate adjustment to my aging self).

Anyway, I find myself wanting to pedal a higher cadence on the Breadwinner, and generally ride faster. Also I am more comfortable on the bike, particularly after a few miles. The Breadwinner is designed for “all day comfort.” I think this steel frame, geometry, and equipment may be a sweet spot for me.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/3/22 6:23 PM

Steel is real spouting aside. I like it best, the lively snap back to plane feel can't be beat to me.

I really want Kirk stainless filet rim brake, mid reach to build.

Like this:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=3176097&postcount=2172

Seems I'm attracted Bozeman customs it has occurred to me. ;)

Not too crazy about the mixed satin blasting on this one, but you get the idea..

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1698056230&stc=1&d=1670187461

Last edited by Sparky on 12/4/22 3:40 PM; edited 2 times in total

Sparky

12/4/22 2:19 PM

I was going to ride the old 30mm clad Strong, but the green bean was in the van, so I rode the 36mm Stradas.

Very much like them. But I had high front pressure in the front for seating/bedding the glue/tire. I forgot to bleed off the extra 20 PSi. It was so over inflated the bike did not wanna go straight running on the round over inflated tire, easy fix of course.

I think this the perfect tire/size for tooling about. VS the Slick Panaracer GK 35TL I mounted with tubes to try recently, the Stradas feel so nice rolling. I was a bit disappointed with how the GKs felt. Hope they improve minus tube and juiced up. I always try with tube until I commit to juice...

dddd

12/11/22 1:34 PM

Today's combinations of OS steerer, OS monocoque front triangle (not to mention a stiffer disc-brake fork) always requires bigger tires and much lower pressures just to equal the ride of a svelte traditional frame it seems.

Cases in point are my 531c Holdsworth special running 23's on i15mm Aeroheads, and my relatively light 1977 Centurion Pro-Tour running 1" Paselas on ~i16mm touring rims.

The bigger/softer tires give better traction and of course a supple ride on the small stuff like coarse pavement, but seem to firm up on bigger hits where a lightweight steel frame really does feel like it goes on absorbing more linearly upon taking bigger hits.

It's especially noteworthy that even I (at only 140 pounds) can notice this on almost every ride when riding different bikes on different days.
That said, not all of my steel frame bikes offer near as much cush as those two, it's the Holdsworth with it's track-like rounder fork blades that especially stands out among bikes having equivalent wheelbase.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/11/22 7:21 PM

True, even the Corsa Merckx frame i got from Walter few seasons back ride dreamy on narrow open pros & 23s. And it is a OS Thron frame. 1" steel forks are where the ride magic is it seems to me.

Although the disc Strong frame was not quite as glide dreamy with 27mm Vit Pave and latex tubes, Carls hand made fork makes tjat bike imo.

dddd

12/12/22 3:22 PM

I added this non-OS, SL-tubed Corsa to the stable a few years ago, found cheaply in so-so condition and rebuilt with more-preferred parts with a double chainset this time.

It's got upright angles and short stays, but still has a good bit of that all-steel absorbance and with fast, confident/intuitive steering on the most technical descents.
These Merckx models (Century included) dance to the tune of fast riding I always say.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/12/22 6:30 PM

Oddly, the 85 Colnago SLX with 1" pipes even for my girth is stout.

The OS on the Merckx is stouter feeling, but rides just as nice.

But SLX snaps back with veracity...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -