HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

2015 Strong Allroad new bars/wheels/tires [Crater Lake EDIT]

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

9/5/22 11:02 AM

2015 Strong Allroad new bars/wheels/tires [Crater Lake EDIT]

This is a first for me. 28mm wide rims on a non MTB bike.

Tires are Terravail Cannonball 47x650s, Stans wheelset set up tubeless.

New bars are Zipp XPLR-SL. I like these so much I have 3 pairs now. The combo of slighter flare than some [most?], ovalized and swept back tops are making for disappearance in use. That saddle is also like that. So to have main contact points in the disappear category is making this the most comfortable yet since I got it. Seatpost shimmed to 25.4 Carbon make for some more flex [comfort] too.

Saddle is a Fizik Twin-flex FWIW.

Both Strong Frames I have I had Carl add 1CM to the HT from his pre approval drawings. This bar height is a tad more off road friendly, but glad I had him do that instead of another spacer.

This was ported for Di2 as well and cabled originally.
Year 6 I finally took off the Barcons and did a Di2 conversion. It just worked like that, and a triple XT crank at that, for the loaded pannier 4 bag Ortliebs hilly Treks I mostly used this for until Di2.

XT Di2 Bottom, 28/42 chainset can run a 42t cassette for when loaded and hilly.

Dan CasD sez this is the only bike I need. ;)

Last edited by Sparky on 9/11/22 1:07 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

RCoapman

9/5/22 11:09 AM

Dan has a valid point.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/5/22 12:32 PM

Especially considering the custom geometry is for me and fit is as good as it gets.

For it's time, it is quite light frame/fork. 5.6 lb steerer cut as shown. I am so glad I did not ship the steel fork at the time having considered carbon.

I have XTR carbon tubular wheels that make it 19ish lbs rolling with 30mm tubs. Those pie cassettes are pretty porky, even a 11-40 XTR I picked up missing the lock ring for cheap. The smaller MTN freehub not being 11s wide matters not. I am old and slow and use 11-34s, 11-36, 11-40, and 11-42. All 11 speed that fit on non 11s freehubs.

Yada, etc

...but doubtful I will get rid of the Super Record Nago EP anytime soon..

Brian Nystrom

9/5/22 3:22 PM

"Dan CasD sez this is the only bike I need."

Yeah, like that'll ever happen... ;-p

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/5/22 5:10 PM

I've actually fit 2.1 27.5 tire on the Strong. Not saying there was much room left. But I remember thinking the fact the amount of room at the 3 pinch points being exactly the same bode well for Carl's skills.

I also thought if I rode it in wet I'd wrap spots closest with kapton tape in case of a wet dirt buildup.

Those 2.1 are MTN tires, so a smooth round 45-50mm tire probably fit without edge knobs being so close as the tires I fit.

There comes a point where you just take the MTN bike...

It is a fun bike to woods blast deer paths and such with 47x650s though.

KerryIrons

9/9/22 9:29 AM

Quiver killer?

quote:
Dan CasD sez this is the only bike I need. ;)

With all due respect, I think I have heard this statement many times over the years about many different bikes. Some people even had the cojones to say this about fat bikes! For me, since I only ride on pretty smooth roads, I do indeed only need one bike (besides my in-town errand bike). Beyond that I am not holding my breath on the concept of a quiver killer.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/9/22 12:29 PM

Well the Strong is going to Crater Lake, sans 650b gravel tires/wheels. With 700x30 tubulars and 2" of room for mud all around, which I do not expect..

And low low gear for and old fart/clyde. May rain, so I'll be "spinning, in the rain" [insert musical notes]...

Leaving in a bit...

EDIT: Just got home. I sucked climbing today, my lord...

Sparky

9/10/22 6:29 PM

Interestingly, my arrival timing last night was thus:
As I hit the top of the crater the sun was setting. Snap.

Within minutes 180^ in the other direction the moon was cresting the other side of the crater's edge.

So within 40ish minutes, when the the moon beam hit the water....
Snap

I like the shadow on the water of the high spot of the craters edge in line with the moon...

Sparky

9/11/22 9:29 AM

ZZZZZ.....

Starting at south of drive as I did puts you on steepest hills from start. I slept 10 hours... And that was after a nap @ 5-6:00.
#pooped

:EDIT/UPDATE
9/10 riders lucked out. The smoke thick/shit did not hit the fan until Sat 21:00. You'd not want to be outside at all after that. It was still under 100 AQI when I left and for most of the daylight hours, 138 AQI by sunset.

I don't ride much over 60-70 AQI myself. Especially if high HR and climbs. Or for 3+ hour rides. Some hacky hacky this morning...

Total upside us is I feel pretty good today. ;)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -