HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

BikeMaine Weekend

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

8/30/22 3:06 PM

BikeMaine Weekend

Since I actually did an in person bike event, thought I’d write about it. A covidized version of BikeMaine, which is a rolling weeklong tour. This was 3 days of riding from a base in Lincoln, Maine, where we tented on a Jr High School field. 2 rides each day, one 30+ miles one 50+. I was pretty wimpy given a total lack of preparation, doing the short rides days 1 and 3 and the long ride day 2 (which was the hilliest, most challenging ride). Riding was fun, a number of good climbs where I was in my 34x32 and grinding. Overall felt pretty good on the bike.

Food was great, breakfast and dinner provided by High School teams, etc.

Now the downside: tested positive after onset of severe symptoms last night. A friend also tested positive. This is not a “no symptoms” infection, I feel like I’ve been run over by a truck. Oh well….

Oh, my best equipment acquisition - an air mattress! Worked great, my days of being comfortable on an ensolite foam pad are well behind me….

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/30/22 3:35 PM

Get totally well please!!! And as quickly as possible, but totally well time aside..

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Andy M-S

8/30/22 6:27 PM

It's no fun!

Spouse and Child-at-Home had it a couple months back. Both were fully vaccinated, but still felt like the truck had hit them.

Heal well and fast, Dan!

Sparky

8/30/22 6:37 PM

Walter up in Detroit just went thru a bout.

LeeW

8/31/22 5:42 AM

Glad you were at least able to enjoy the rides.

I was over in the Pyrenees with my GF during the 3rd week of July to watch the Tour and ride a few climbs and literally started feeling symptoms on the flight home on July 24. Tested positive when we got home. Experienced congestion, chills & fever, fatigue, and sore throat, thankfully the worst of it while at home. Throat was so sore that I had 1.5 days where I had to bite a bullet just to swallow. Was vaccinated and boosted, but suspect we got the BA.4 or 5 variant, which was reported to be able to evade the existing vaccine formulations. Was not pleasant for 3-4 days.

On the positive side, got to watch the stage up on the Hautacam from the 10km to go arch and also got to ride the Hautacam and Luz Ardiden climbs, albeit pretty slowly. My group had planned to ride the West face of the Tourmalet, but the weather that day was misty with fog & drizzle and after scoping out the narrow/no shoulder wet road with lots of traffic, decided that it was too risky.

Best energies on surviving the plague Dan. Might want to procure decongestant and Mucinex if you can.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

8/31/22 10:09 AM

air mattress....

I have a lightweight Sea To Summit sleeping pad, dual air cell blow up style. Shockingly comfy despite the lack of bulk. Wasn't cheap but very much worth it. Despite my bulk, it keeps me fully off the ground and is fine for weight-weenie backcountry trips.

Hope the Rona leaves you soon and no worse for the wear....

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -