HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Ahh we are alive. ;) +New Bike post.

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

5/27/22 10:03 AM

Ahh we are alive. ;) +New Bike post.

1st and foremost, thanks once again to Anthony for keeping this old TTF bird flying...

_________
Maybe a direction for Rob Coapman as well? I plan to see how it is on a group ride, and I have a metric 6/11.

Boone Disc. I was saving some new bits hoping to find a Domane RSL Disc frameset, 2020 had introduced H1.5 stack and my 2013 Race Shop Classics is old and a 62CM H1. No luck finding one for a long seek quest period. But short bars/stem the Classic has been #1 for a few years now. I'd shop the H1.5 in a 60CM.

Main curiosity is the front and rear ISO do-hickies, Classics only has rear. Dan's RSL Segafredo Dom has both. Plus wanted to see how living with a 1x11 might be.

Boone BB is higher, but similar geom. Albeit front end high trail, tad slower. A quick test ride yesterday shows its CX lineage. A bombing run thru the woods on deer paths is territory in which it shines. And that's with Jack Browns which are a fattish Roll-y Poly, like 34mm.

This Boone will fit bigger. I have some 40-622 Schwalbe G-Zero Speeds to try in it.

I've taken the Classics in similar woody terrain, but 30mm tires can't really compare to fatter sneakers rolling. Well, compare to a point, the limit being 30-1mm aired up. The little dot tread on the g-zero had surprisingly good grip on dirt and gravel. 30 tubular variety on carbon hoops on the Classics. ;)

A fairly svelte 16.2 lb before I did bar tape.

Last edited by Sparky on 5/27/22 10:36 AM; edited 4 times in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

5/27/22 10:19 AM

Oh, side note: my first full road hydo brake bike. Old Gary has Avid Juicys, been sticking cable actuated, inc cable hydro hybrids.

The bleeding part sucked, learning curve not too bad.

All I can say is between covid, inflation, and supply chain issues... Hydro shifter/brake co$t is insane.

I am happy to have got low use pulls of the Di2 ST-R8070/BR-8070 set for $635.00. That is insane to my cheap ars self. ;)

I have a 4 pot Juin Tech cable/hydro set on another bike upon Walters suggestion/review that I think work the same. On a Di2 bike with sale/clearance ST-R6870 $116.00 levers.

I've had the HY/RD Tektro on the All road Strong since new 2015. Cable actuated hybrid, been excellent. Although the R8070 stuff is much better looking and flat mount slim aesthetics yada, and lighter/less filling yada yada..

Fixed income don't you know. ;)

Classics obligatory pics:

Rando mode:

dfcas

5/27/22 7:06 PM

Thanks Anthony

And oh yeah nice bike.

RCoapman

5/30/22 5:35 AM

the issue I have is that all these bikes come with Shimano or SRAM and I'm a die-hard Campy-grouch.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/30/22 9:57 AM

Just how i built them. I was very tempted to put a older 2015 SR on the Boone but decided to put new or very current groupo. Plus it has very clean routes and less cables etc with Di2 bits I already had.

How different is your Cervelo than the disc CX Boone really..

Last edited by Sparky on 5/30/22 1:42 PM; edited 2 times in total

RCoapman

5/30/22 10:41 AM

not much, but I've decided to keep it mostly as-is and use it as a gravel bike. I'll suffer with Shimano off-road for now

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/30/22 3:00 PM

quote:
decided to keep it mostly as-is and use it as a gravel bike

Weight it yet, the Boone surprised me when I weighed it. I just try to head toward light with my used builds. I got at least a lb lighter than I expected.

Although I did change the cassette to the planned 1x11 11-42 last night, weight there added compared to the 11-32 that was on the wheel I thought was a 11-34. 1/4 lb nearly there alone. But if flat landing don't need 24 GI either...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -