HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

UCI launches a new worldwide series of Gravel events

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

4/25/22 9:51 PM

UCI launches a new worldwide series of Gravel events

https://ucigravelworldseries.com/en/news/uci-launches-a-new-worldwide-series-of-gravel-events/

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

4/27/22 8:59 AM

For me, gravel is about a fun and festive atmosphere, and enjoying the ride. Get me out into the countryside with minimal traffic and some like-minded cohorts, and I'm a happy camper!

I don't see where having the UCI involved is of any real benefit and the apparent collective yawn here makes me think I'm not alone. It's good that they haven't mandated any equipment restrictions...yet. If they don't, that will make it more interesting and it would be nice if they didn't stifle innovation for a change. I suspect that manufacturers will be pushing them in the direction of keeping it open.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

4/27/22 11:15 AM

I feel like "I don't see where having the UCI involved is of any real benefit" is a complete sentence in and of itself

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/28/22 6:15 AM

Rob, that was my initial reaction when I heard that the UCI was considering getting into gravel racing. I can't think of another organization that's better at ruining a good thing.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

4/28/22 10:06 AM

back in time

UCI Bans Cycling

Geneva, Switzerland. The Union Cycliste Internationale has responded to complaints regarding their technical policies with a broad program to be implemented over the next two years. In a press conference hosted by UCI President Hein(ey) Verbruggen and his chief technical officer Giezer Altfahrt, the details of the program were unveiled. "We had to develop a coordinated program to deal with the ongoing technical issues in our sport," said Verbruggen in outlining his multipoint plan. The key elements are as follows:

Citing concerns about detached retinas, spinal injuries, saddle sores, and erectile disfunction, the UCI will require improved vertical compliance in wheels and frames, and smoother road surfaces, including the elimination of all cobblestones. Verbruggen acknowledged that most of the spring Classics would have to be rerouted or canceled, but stated "this only shows our concern for rider safety." When asked about crashes caused by large groups of riders encountering road width changes and traffic islands, Hein(ey) said that "that is not under the control of the UCI, but we will demand that all courses are freshly paved" prior to races. In a related safety move, all courses with descents greater than 30 meters will be eliminated.

To improve frame compliance, Altfahrt cited a research program to build frames from recycled milk jugs. The resulting Eco-flex (TM) frame "will be the required material for all bicycles used in UCI sanctioned races, in a 'double diamond' configuration, of course," noted Altfarht. Also under consideration is requiring a minimum 120 cm wheel base, but concerns about cranks hitting the ground due to increased frame flex may reduce this number to 110 cm.

Changes in wheel construction will probably be the most controversial element of this program. Citing concerns about stiffness and injuries to extremities caught in rotating wheels, Altfahrt announced that spokes would be banned. "I want to be specific. This means spokes of any length, any diameter, and any cross section profile," exclaimed the doddering technocrat. Noting that disc wheels would also be banned due to the aerodynamic advantage offered riders, Altfahrt said he would leave it to manufacturers to figure out how to build non-spoked, non-disc wheels. "These are smart people," he said. "They'll figure it out."

When pressed, Verbruggen emphatically denied that these technical changes would effectively eliminate cycling: "People who say that are full of Bull S***, and this should serve as a message to all that the UCI is serious about preserving the sport."

As an adjunct to these new technical requirements, Verbruggen stated that the UCI was imposing a ban on the testing new equipment by professional riders. "Our racers aren't going to be guinea pigs. Let the cyclo-tourists be the testing grounds for all that Bull S***, they seem to be able to afford it. Besides, this will save the teams quite some money; not having to always have the latest and greatest hardware." When reporters noted that teams got their equipment free from their cycling industry sponsors, Verbruggen stated that ""People who say that are full of Bull S***. This is the only way that teams from Sri Lanka, Borneo, and our other targeted development markets will be able to have a level playing field."

When asked how the UCI intended to pay for all the research associated with this proposal, Verbruggen responded "It's really quite simple. We have a two part plan. Our accountants tell us that by fining Cinelli a sum equal to whatever they asked for in their Spinaci lawsuit plus an amount equal to three times our legal expenses, we can generate quite some revenue. Of course, to be fair we would impose the same fines on anyone else who sues us over these regulations. At the same time we will cancel all drug testing. It doesn't work anyway, what with these sneaky doctors and riders always finding a way around it. Since our other proposals are aimed purely at rider health, we consider this a fair balance."

Response from industry and the pro ranks was predictable. Riders, known for throwing a leg over whatever sponsors provide, had no particular complaints about the technical aspects. When asked about the lack of doping controls in the future, Richard Virenque said "An equal chance for all. Isn't that what sport is all about?"

The loss of the pro ranks as a test bed for new equipment didn't seem to faze Shimano. Their spokesperson noted that Shimano had a long history of doing this anyway. She cited the large platform DuraAce pedal as the most recent example, with BioPace and HyperDrive showing a well established track record. Campagnolo said they would meet the "no tests by pros" policy with their new "announce but don't deliver" program, as exemplified by the Record steel seat post and ProFit pedals in 1998. MAVIC had no official comment but one of their technical types was heard to complain that "No spokes? No disc? No such wheel is possible!"

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/28/22 3:09 PM

Cute!

Reply to topic    

dan emery

4/28/22 3:46 PM

Who cares?

I suspect UCI just wants to monetize the interest in gravel riding, and the popularity of some gravel races. I’m not particularly interested in gravel races, so I could really care less.

D2R2 at least used to be considered the mother of all gravel rides. The first time I rode it, I made a course mistake and cut off about 10 miles (very common in this event). They recorded times at the finish, so when I checked in I said I cut the course so my time was not representative. The woman at the table rolled her eyes and said “nobody cares”….:)

That to me is the spirit of gravel riding and UCI involvement is irrelevant.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/28/22 4:44 PM

"UCI just wants to monetize the interest"

Brian Nystrom

4/29/22 7:12 AM

I'm 100% with you Dan!

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

4/30/22 2:14 PM

Police

quote:
so I could really care less.

Grammar police checking in. If you could care less, how much less? A lot less, or just a little bit less? Or is it that you really COULDN'T care less, in which case your disinterest in the subject is noted :)

Reply to topic    

dan emery

4/30/22 2:25 PM

Colloquial usage

Everyone knows what it means except apparently you. :)

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

5/3/22 7:09 AM

True, but being an attorney, you certainly understand the importance of precise language. As someone who writes and edits instructions for a living, I definitely do and it pains me to see how language usage in the US has deteriorated in recent years. Although Kerry made the comment above, I understand the compulsion to occasionally try to correct common mistakes, whether they're colloquialisms or not.

Heck, I edit everything I read, in my head!

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

5/4/22 10:14 AM

Policing

So when people want to say that they are changing course but say they want to take a different tact, do we all just accept it? Or if someone says your late? Or if they want to ask a question about there bike? Or if they want to know what to do if a bike gets a scratch in it's paint.

The list goes on and on and OCD types like me hear fingernails on the blackboard every time.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/4/22 10:40 AM

All together now: "Get off my bike's lawn!"

I'll head up the Chorus [No, not the groupo..]

;)

Brian Nystrom

5/5/22 7:58 AM

Kerry, there are hundred's, no, thousand's of examples.

Do we call this hyperapostrophication? ;-)

Reply to topic    

LeeW

5/6/22 7:47 AM

I can appreciate the points from Kerry and Brian. I worked as an engineer for 37 years in various roles, with one of them involving 3 years functioning as a science advisor/quality assurance person. As such I was responsible for signing off on any technical report put out by over 40 tech projects under my cognizance. I could count hundreds of tech reports where I spent significant time editing and rewriting vague, imprecise, or inaccurate descriptions from engineers who were documenting measurements, modeling and simulation, or problem analyses. I was used to noting improper grammar or sentence structures in everything I read.

That said, I have to wonder how many improper usages arise from people hastily dictating into the magic mike on their smartphones and not rigorously going back to correct the frequent AI misuses that result?

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

5/6/22 8:57 AM

Hyper

quote:
hyperapostrophication
I love it!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/6/22 9:09 AM

2 things, English VS American. Being that my wife is a Brit I am subject [not a subject ;)] to correction frequently.

Also, poor use of grammar is something I am not too terrible with. [see how I did that?]

Sometimes, and in my case there is decent grey matter and poor academic development from lack of opportunity.

What I mean is I quit high school 2nd week of 10th grade. And that was after 8-10th grade of being so absent @ 50% physical disposition at most. Today a parent/parents would have legal trouble as a result. My single parent had more liquid trouble unfortunately.

Point being, I am academically uneducated, and have self learned [not taught] for the most part, self assimilated?

Thus folks may scratch their heads deciphering my drivel from time to time [all the time]. ;)

Observationally [we make up words too] In the case of folk with degrees, especially technical, focus for the learning process has targets. Which may not have included much focus on collegiate english/grammar.

Brian Nystrom

5/7/22 6:35 PM

I'm just a recovering QA/QC engineer, turned writer/editor. There's no hope for me.

BTW, I'm an engineer by title only, not by education. I've also been a sales manager when the only person I managed was myself. That's why I have zero faith or interest in titles.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

5/8/22 10:52 AM

To quote (probably) Winston Churchill when he was admonished about some grammatical issue: "Poor grammar is something up with which I will not put." (To the "never end a sentence with a preposition 'rule'")

Reply to topic    

dan emery

5/8/22 11:27 AM

Actually the quote attributed to Churchill (I have no idea if he ever said it or anything like it) was complaining about enforcement of the rule by an editor - there are many versions, such as “this is the sort of bloody nonsense [or pedantry] up with which I will not put.” I have read no version where he was complaining about poor grammar.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

5/8/22 7:36 PM

I have never met anyone who actually speaks in that manner (no prepositions at the end of sentences), not even English teachers. While sometimes it's reasonably easy to do, at other times it requires linguistic gymnastics that are confusing to many people. It seems pointless to go through that effort just to make yourself difficult to understand. English is truly an f-ed up language.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/8/22 7:48 PM

Yoda? ;)

Brian Nystrom

5/9/22 7:40 AM

Can't say I've met him...

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -