Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Tire Pressure Calculator

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

3/22/22 9:25 AM

Tire Pressure Calculator

From Rene Herse

https://www.renehersecycles.com/tire-pressure-calculator-intro/?utm_source=Retail+Customer+Newsletter&utm_campaign=8f2b94defe-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_11_29_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f74fbd5ca8-8f2b94defe-108703741&mc_cid=8f2b94defe&mc_eid=1124689c2b

It must be right, since I'm pretty much on the money with my road and gravel bikes.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

3/22/22 10:00 AM

Works for me...

I keep my 28mm tires right in the recommended zone, and they're quite comfy, thanks.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

RCoapman

3/22/22 11:45 AM

Back in my racing days I'd pump my Conti Sprinters up to whatever they could take...160psi maybe. There was no reason other than they felt fast. Likely untrue, but psychologically there may have been an advantage.

As of now, it seems I am also in line with my pressure and the recommendations.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

3/23/22 8:14 AM

This is the most accurate pressure calculator I've seen, based on the pressures I've settled on over the years. Most others err on the higher pressure side.

While I understand their logic behind not using less pressure in the front, I don't agree with it. I spend WAY more time just rolling along than I do braking hard, so I'll continue to run my front tire at a lower pressure than the rear (70/80 f/r with 25mm tires, in my case). Under normal light braking, the weight shift is not a concern and under hard braking, it's only a concern if you hit something (pothole, curb, etc.) at the same time. Sure it happens, but very rarely for me; it's probably been more than a decade since I last dented a front rim.

That said, I do keep my tires closer to the same pressure off-road, since the front tire frequently has to absorb significant impacts, often while braking.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

3/23/22 8:59 AM

Front pressure

About front/rear tire pressure: Probably more of an issue if you choose the low (comfort) pressure than if you choose the higher range. If you're running as low as recommended and you brake hard or bank a turn at the limit, a few psi in the front could be significant even leading to a side wall collapse. My experience is to run the higher pressure choice due to the risk of pinch flats. That said, the calculator suggests what I have been running for the last decade or so. Jan Heine (and company) knows what he's talking about.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

3/24/22 9:23 AM

Just run tubulars...no worries about pinch flats :-D

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/24/22 10:06 AM

Just flats... Hense my move to tubulars with tubeless tech.

I've pinched once on road bike/riding in my enTire rolling life. And it was a double 'snake bite' variety too.

Thanks for not calling out shit issue...

KerryIrons

3/25/22 8:55 AM

Tubolari

quote:
Just run tubulars...no worries about pinch flats :-D

Yeah, did that for 30 years. Now starting my 25th season on clinchers. Never looked back :)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/25/22 2:12 PM

"did that for 30 years"

Alas, a whole new game flatting on tubeless tubulars, which does not include [usually] putting on a new tire on the road. And being I don't carry a spare, never...

I do carry a 2 oz stans bottle and a kit with valve core tool, mini plug kit etc...

dan emery

3/25/22 3:18 PM

OTOH

With wider tires, I almost never have flats anyway. Actually have found tubeless to be more of a PITA as the seal eventually breaks and needs to be refreshed. With the ride quality of wider, supple clinchers, I have no need for tubulars. The narrowest tires I now use are 32, with supple Rene Herse tires at that width my preference is tubes. In the very unlikely event I have a flat, it’s easily to fix (unlike tubeless). Just my $.02.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/25/22 3:21 PM

"I now use are 32, with supple Rene Herse tires"

And you are getting good flat resistance with these?

dan emery

3/25/22 4:03 PM

I actually don’t recall having a flat on them (which doesn’t mean I haven’t had one). I don’t put big miles on them. I more often ride the Checkpoint with 40 mm tubeless, and I’ve had to screw around with those a couple times due to the rim bead breaking. I’d rather change a tube.

I’m not saying one is better than the other, just that with wider, low pressure tires I think flats are a de minimus problem.

Cross threading, in another thread Kerry said Jan Heine knows what he’s talking about, and I agree, and my latest purchase from Rene Herse is a mini pump about the size of a fountain pen which Jan says works great. We’ll see (or not….)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/25/22 5:23 PM

I for one wanna hear about your test pump with the cigar pump. 80 PSi test pump report please. ;)

*Max. inflation pressure: 10 bar (142 psi)

How may strokes I wunda...

I did not get the impression you said, nor was getting at a comparison betwixt the tires, just how the supple babies were.

dan emery

4/9/22 2:24 PM

Bead leakage

Another episode of my tubeless tire not holding air. Didn’t strand me but a PITA. Pretty sure I fixed it by refreshing Stan’s, not hard, but something I don’t have to do with tubes. Do you guys who use Stan’s refresh every 3-6 months as they suggest?

Spark, tested the mini pump and it goes to 60 psi pretty easily, which is all I need. Lots of strokes but the strokes are quick and easy. Someone else will have to test 80 for you…:)

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/9/22 4:27 PM

Yes, I refresh it typically a couple of times per year.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -