HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Applying Stan’s goop

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

11/11/21 3:49 PM

Applying Stan’s goop

I just have one bike with tubeless tires, and I didn’t install them myself, so they are a bit of a mystery to me (so are through axles, but that’s another story). Anyway, I got a slow leak on the way home from my office last week (I could ride home, but I could tell the rear tire was low by the way the bike handled). When I get got home I pumped the tire up, and it at first appeared to hold air, but was quite low the next morning.

So I injected Stan’s and spun the wheel but didn’t ride it. Again, it appeared to hold air, but was low the next morning (not as low as before, but low). I decided to give it one more chance so I pumped it up again and rode for about an hour (I could tell the tire had air from feedback going over bumps). This time it held air and has been fine since.

So I am thinking the new Stan’s partially sealed the leak the frst time, and then totally sealed when the bike was ridden. Does this sound reasonable? Just trying to get a feel about how the stuff works.

Frankly, I’ve found the tubeless tires more of a PITA then tubes (using wider tires, I very seldom get flats).

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/11/21 4:27 PM

Your leak may have been at bead. I had one i had to roll and lay on side on a bucket occasionally flipping and tipping.

Put few inches water in the tub and see where the air is escaping.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

11/11/21 4:47 PM

Leak at bead

I thought about that, and I had a bead leak after one tire was installed, but this tire was installed long ago and hadn’t really been deflated. But you may be right, I didn’t find any hole in inspecting the tire. If you can just develop a bead leak in the middle of riding, to me that’s another reason to stay with tubes. At least if there’s a flat (and I don’t have many) I know how to fix it.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/11/21 5:48 PM

When was your last sealant rejuv, or at least added some?

No wet dots at all? I've had sealed punctures which slowly leak the wetter portion of sealant slow but sure.

I dont do tubeless below 28mm myself, except one set of tubeless tubulars of 25mm.

Also a sealed puncture that you rode with low psi may need added juice and a few hours laying sideway with flipping if side wall is weaping. Bathtub dip will show if that is happening.

dan emery

11/11/21 7:02 PM

Sealant rejuv

That was done around March I think.

No sign of any leak on tire.

Tire is 40.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/11/21 7:31 PM

Tub, dunk valve too. Goo get in them too..

dfcas

11/12/21 9:50 AM

Dan im on my ipad and dont know how to link but if you search youtube stans has a video of how to shake the tire and distribute the sealant to get it on the sidewall and the bead, which is where most leaks occur, if its not a puncture.

dan emery

11/12/21 12:21 PM

Thanks all

I guess I got the goop distributed by riding, but good to know you really gotta slosh it around.

Reply to topic    

dddd

11/20/21 12:18 PM

I'm still pretty new to tubeless, but now running two Mavic gravel wheelsets, using tubeless 33 and 43mm tires.

Some punctures and rim-junction leaks create a longer, slenderer path for the air to escape, and which hinders the sealing process as the air velocity is relatively low (air velocity cures/solidifies the latex).

As well, some buildup of a variety of particle sizes is needed to seal certain (even very small) punctures, and which can take considerable time (latex sealants have particles mixed in with the liquid).

What I do is I try to rotate my tires periodically as the bike sits unused, especially when a tire has some sealing issue (but also as part of maintenance).
I rotate the tire quickly forward, just over 1/2 turn. This I believe does the best job of "showering" the inside of the tire (and rim junction) with the small volume of sealant that settles to the bottom of the tire.
I might repeat this hourly or daily as needed until a tire resumes holding air more tightly.

Panaracer latex sealant has smaller particles, so you might want to mix in a little of that stuff with your Stans (this will even help with sidewall seepage through a porous casing).

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -