HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Hand tremor

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
KerryIrons

7/24/21 2:16 PM

Hand tremor

When riding in hot weather (presumably somewhat dehydrated) if I make a fist and rest on the top of the bar (not gripping the bar) my left hand starts to tremor at about 3 cycles per second. If I straighten my fingers or wrap my thumb under the bar, the tremor stops. When on the drops or hoods, not an issue. This has been going on for at least a couple of seasons, though seems to be escalating.

When off the bike, not a trace of the tremor. And nothing in the right hand, though sometimes with the right hand on the drops and the fingers not wrapping the bar my fingers will oscillate a bit. Anyone else have this? Any ideas? At my age you worry about everything :)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/24/21 2:55 PM

Bring a salt tablet and see if that makes it stop. You may have old nerve damage that shows up with low sodium sooner than other low sodium stuff happening.

What are you drinking on the bike when it is hot on longer ride? I'd add Salt light with my Nunns and extra sugar in my bottles. Salt/light added ups the sodium and potassium on board.

Either way, low sodium bad, very low very bad...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

KerryIrons

7/26/21 9:21 AM

Salt

It may well be low sodium, but when I go on a long ride I add about a teaspoon of salt to my food bag (fig bars, cookies, mixed nuts). I salt my food as well. But you suggest a good experiment to try.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/26/21 4:12 PM

Fingers crossed for you it is this simple.

Aging.... check please!

KerryIrons

8/5/21 3:32 PM

Doctor

Saw the doctor this week and he basically said "no worries." He had a name for it which I didn't catch but said that as long as it doesn't propagate into the rest of my life then it was no different that being dizzy when standing. Benign.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/5/21 3:58 PM

Great to read that!

I am allowing healing from a stupid 1" too high saddle move I did. My nerve from lower back to toes where lit for 4-5 days after 5 rides before I caught it. So couple short under 10 miles few days a week for now.

Nerve stuff is scary to be sure. It took years for my femoral nerve hip bruise/damage to normalize 6-7 year back.

KerryIrons

8/7/21 4:31 PM

Nervy

On a separate nerve issue, I bought a new pair of ski boots this past winter and they were somehow shipped without boot boards. For those not familiar with what boot boards are, it is a removable hard insole between the boot shell and the inner boot. There's a separate conventional inside the inner boot. The boot boards are held in place by a plastic pin that sticks up from the boot shell, about 1/4" in diameter and 3/8" high located under the heel. You can't feel the pin due to the cushioning of the boot liner, at least I couldn't. So I skied in these boots for 8 days before serendipitously discovering the absence of the boot boards. By then the pressure from those pins caused both feet to be painfully asleep and not waking up and getting worse every day I skied in them. It has been 5 months since I last skied in the boots without the boot boards (I got the supply to cough up a pair) and my feet are ALMOST back to normal with only slight numbness. I massage them daily and that helps but it is mainly time that is causing the recovery.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/7/21 6:54 PM

Nerves zero vascular, crazy slow healing.

NeurDr said 1mm per month. My femoral area bruised was over an inch. Took a few years..

LeeW

8/8/21 6:26 AM

Kerry, that's one ski boot story I hadn't heard before. Ah, the trial and tribulations of adapting to new ski boots. I used to jokingly tell people in ski lodges that long after man was extinct, alien archeologists were going to find these things in the dumps and theorize that that they were instruments of the penal system where the most heinous criminals were forced to wear them when they pushed them off an icy mountaintop. Most people would laugh, but occasionally, someone would take me seriously and want to start a debate about boots.

I had some achilles issues more than a few years back and was not happy by how long the healing takes when the blood supply is marginal. The massage should help. I had a trainer suggest a couple techniques to stimulate/assist healing.

One was to sit on the topmost rim of a hot tub that has vigorous jets and do whatever it takes to hang your foot just in front of the biggest pulsating jet. Its like getting massage and heat at the same time and your foot will be tingling after 10-15 minutes exposure. Do it 3-5 times/week if you can find the time.

Second one was to fill up two buckets, one with hot water and one with very cold water (dump a tray of ice cubes into cold tap water) and place them in front of the easy chair while watching tv. Alternate your foot between the two buckets for 4-5 min each cycle until the water temps are moderating. I found the alternating "pump effect" can be beneficial in getting rid of a lingering foot issue.

See you on the slopes again sometime. I think last time was Jan 2007 at Alta. I recall Parkin bailed on us for the meetup ;-)

Reply to topic    

dan emery

8/8/21 1:32 PM

Bummer!

Kerry, I really hope your feet keep coming along.

You’re definitely not the Princess with the Pea!

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

8/9/21 4:02 PM

Progress

I'm pretty confident that the numbness will essentially be gone by the start of next ski season. The improvements over the last 5 months have been very significant. I knew that nerve recovery would be slow so I'm not panicked.

The surprising thing to me is that I had no idea that boot boards existed. When I got back from a trip to Utah I decided to figure out the issue by comparing my old boots to my new boots (same brand). I pulled out the liners to be sure the dimensions were comparable and as I was on my shop floor measuring the sole length of the two boots, a boot board fell out of the old boots. I never knew it was there. Then I looked in the new boots and saw no boot board but I did see (in both new and old boots) the peg that was causing the issue. I called the shop where I bought the new boots and after a back and forth about the name (boot boards, not insoles) we figured out that the new boots had no boot boards. Revelation!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/9/21 8:43 PM

"I'm pretty confident that the numbness will essentially be gone by the start of next ski season"

About 10 minutes after your feet freeze probably. ;)

KerryIrons

8/11/21 1:04 PM

Ski date

Lee & Parkin, I am headed to Utah again this winter but don't have a date yet. I'll post it here on the off chance that any TTF members can meet up.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -