HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Bike Biz

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

2/15/21 3:58 PM

Bike Biz

Dropped off my Checkpoint at the shop today for a tuneup - I just let them do it as it needs chain and cassette and I donít really mess with disks or install tubeless (need a rear). Anyway, the owner said they still canít get bikes and some people wonít be able to get a bike until Fall. This is a big shop carrying Trek, ĎDale, Seven, etc.

Still strange times we are in.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

2/15/21 6:45 PM

I wonder how many bike shops will survive. Depending on service mostly seems like a rough way to go. Surely all the cobweb bikes have been serviced.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

2/17/21 12:29 PM

Actually, service is by far the most profitable part of the bike biz. Bikes are bigger ticket items, but the profit margins are low. Basic repair parts have high margins and labor is also highly profitable. If you ever want to get into the bike biz, start with a repair-and-parts-only shop, then add new bikes later once you're established.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

2/17/21 12:59 PM

Parts

Even the OE Bontrager tires are not available until May so theyíre putting on a similar Conti.

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

3/30/21 5:27 PM

I wanted to throw some business at my LBS to help them out, so, several days ago, I stopped in to talk about either an overhaul of my Surly Cross Check touring bike or getting a new bike (manufacturer to be determined). Nope, nothing doing, probably until 2022.

Even "depending on service" may not be enough for shop survival, if you can't get parts.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

3/31/21 8:28 AM

Bike draught

There was just an article in the Portland paper about the shortage of bikes. Basically any bikes a shop may get are sold before they arrive.

One shop owner (whom I used to ride tts against in the deep past) made a good call and ordered everything he could get last year and sold 3x his normal volume. Now he gets inquiries from out of state and even out of country.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/31/21 9:39 AM

I'll be raising my offerings 25% I guess...

Andy M-S

3/31/21 10:28 AM

I called my LBS...

They're taking people into the shop by appointment only. When I called to find out about getting a helmet for my child (finally!) they told me there was a 2-week wait for appointments.

Fortunately, because I do some work for them, they got me in. Unfortunately, they didn't have a helmet that would fit child, so suggested I try a shop a few blocks away.

THAT shop was closed due a COVID exposure, so...

dan emery

4/1/21 4:49 PM

Fortunately.....

At least I donít need a bike (understatement)....:)

Andy, I know you patronize Devilís Gear, but last time I was there my brother and I went out to DíAnielloís, which is a cool shop run by old school, hard core bike folks.

Actually in Ď73 I bought my PX-10 at a well-known shop in New Haven, but I donít remember the name (pretty sure itís no longer there). Iíll ask my brother who will know.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

4/3/21 5:50 PM

The bike drought is bad enough that people are being relieved of their bikes at gunpoint (in spite of the article being dated April 1, it seems to be genuine):

https://www.berkeleyside.com/2021/04/01/bike-robberies-grizzly-peak-berkeley-oakland-east-bay-hills

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

4/6/21 7:07 AM

DíAnielloís

Dan:

I know the place well (it's next door to a wonderful Thai restaurant).

I think the thing I like most about Devil's Gear is that they do a lot of work for people who ride low-end bikes, and they're never snobby about it. That's their market. The Amity shop is quite a bit more--as you say--hard core. Example:

A few years ago I went in to find an utterly gorgeous used Bruce Gordon touring bike in there, beautiful condition, fully equipped. (I wrote on the iBOB list: It is a Bruce Gordon in what appears to be near-mint condition. 57 cm, frame, racks and stem are by BG, panniers (SIX OF THEM!!!) by Robert Beckman, include rain covers. 3x7 gearing with barcons, presently wearing BG Rock'n'Road tires.) Unfortunately, I had loans to pay off at the time. I put out the word on a couple of lists and someone found love with it and took it home for $1,500.

I like the shop, though it's a bit off my beaten path. the family has been pushing lately to get a velodrome built in New Haven, about which I have *somewhat mixed* feelings (living in Greater New Haven, my first reaction is that it would be wonderful, but my second is that NH needs other things so much more).[/i]

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -