Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Deep Fakes

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

2/2/21 11:38 AM

Deep Fakes

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a20045553/to-catch-a-counterfeiter-the-sketchy-world-of-fake-bike-gear/?fbclid=IwAR06OMSzmH2SZUBleYhYs3GOWxy58FhEP8La3keZxTLHSVX3JRbAfZronbM [url][/url]

Reply to topic    

dan emery

2/2/21 12:21 PM

Super Mario

In the vintage market, there have been reports for years of fake Confentes (arguably the most coveted vintage bike).

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

2/2/21 8:03 PM

Well, it's not as if these things aren't easy to spot, all you have to do is look at the price tag. If it looks too good to be true, it is. End of story. I don't have any sympathy for anyone who buys these products and expects to get the real thing. Shame on them.

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

2/3/21 6:01 AM

agree

It really looks like "whack a mole" for the manufacturers but if it wasn't for the purchasers the counter fitters would be out of business. As PT Barnum once said.....

Reply to topic    

Craig

2/4/21 9:42 PM

quote:
Well, it's not as if these things aren't easy to spot, all you have to do is look at the price tag. If it looks too good to be true, it is.

This. 97%. Because sometimes the good fakes are sold at real prices as part of the ruse. But definitely, if the price it too good to be true, there's a reason.

There was a time in the late 1990s/early 2000s when someone was selling aluminum Independent Fabrication bikes at a good price but it was still a premium. Definitely fake, because IF has never made an aluminum bike. I definitely have no sympathy for someone who bought one of those.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -