HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

The latest on Froome

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

10/28/19 9:48 AM

The latest on Froome

https://www.velonews.com/2019/10/news/froome-starting-from-below-zero-in-build-to-2020-tour-and-olympics_502119?mc_cid=77d4e86e7f&mc_eid=0c3704f645

I'm still skeptical that he'll be fully back next year.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/28/19 11:02 AM

"Froome was taken up Mount Fuji in a car before tackling the final part of the route on a bike."

Is the final part an up or a down one wonders. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

10/29/19 5:55 AM

Those of us here who have experienced major fractures and the attendant surgeries understand what a major insult to the body they are. It takes a long time to recover and in some cases, you're never quite the same. Good luck to Froomie, but I just don't see him being a serious contender for anything next season.

Perhaps he could prove me wrong...who knows what kind of morally/legally questionable "marginal gains"Brailsford will come up with this time?

Then again, when you have Bernal and Thomas, why bother investing a huge amount of resources in a rider who is damaged goods and nearing the end of his career?

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

10/29/19 8:42 AM

repeating

quote:
Those of us here who have experienced major fractures and the attendant surgeries understand what a major insult to the body they are. It takes a long time to recover and in some cases, you're never quite the same. Good luck to Froomie, but I just don't see him being a serious contender for anything next season.

Can I get an Amen?!

Reply to topic    

greglepore

10/31/19 9:13 AM

quote:

Just ask Taylor Phinney

dan emery

10/31/19 9:29 AM

Another data point

Jensie broke 11 bones altogether.

I have no idea how Froome will recover, I think recovery is very individual. I think it's possible he may get back to riding as well as ever if he's highly motivated, though I'd guess it will take longer than a year.

I've busted a femur and humerus, and I don't feel that either affects my riding now, though it took awhile. OTOH I was about twice as old as Froome when it happened.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

11/2/19 8:04 AM

Individualism

quote:
recovery is very individual.

In several ways. For the general population it is mostly about the willingness to do the hard work of getting back to normal. My doctor commented that recovery from surgery was "90% the patient, 10% the surgeon." If you don't work to regain flexibility and muscle strength, you'll be compromised forever.

Then there is the different ways each of us heals. Some bodies are better than others at getting better.

And of course there is the very nature of the injury. I broke a femur skiing, and I thought "broken bones heal, stronger than before." While that is true, my break was into the end of the bone at the knee joint, and therefore the knee was compromised. It was 6 months after surgery before I could stand up and pedal. 20 months after surgery I'm still working on it and have doubts whether I will ever recover full functionality.

Froome's recovery will depend on a lot of stuff that we don't really know much about.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

11/2/19 8:05 AM

Individualism

quote:
recovery is very individual.

In several ways. For the general population it is mostly about the willingness to do the hard work of getting back to normal. My doctor commented that recovery from surgery was "90% the patient, 10% the surgeon." If you don't work to regain flexibility and muscle strength, you'll be compromised forever.

Then there is the different ways each of us heals. Some bodies are better than others at getting better.

And of course there is the very nature of the injury. I broke a femur skiing, and I thought "broken bones heal, stronger than before." While that is true, my break was into the end of the bone at the knee joint, and therefore the knee was compromised. It was 6 months after surgery before I could stand up and pedal. 20 months after surgery I'm still working on it and have doubts whether I will ever recover full functionality.

Froome's recovery will depend on a lot of stuff that we don't really know much about.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

11/2/19 8:05 AM

Individualism

[quote]recovery is very individual.[/quote]

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/2/19 9:45 AM

"my break was into the end of the bone at the knee joint, and therefore the knee was compromised"

Plateau then? Was yours displaced and screwed et al?

I was lucky in that my tibial plateau fracture was non displaced. I always say my right knee is 90+ percent, and I am happy about that. I also had some fibula fractures also non displaced. I think the diagnosed knee rubber bands are what the small percent less than the left. Cycling and leg muscle tone since keeps it way more stable than is was for about 2 years after the fractures...

Having a calcium bone ridge in the knee joint at the fracture must have cartilage and future arthritis ramifications too. Elaine say sometimes the cartilage splits too.

Last edited by Sparky on 11/2/19 5:29 PM; edited 1 time in total

Brian Nystrom

11/2/19 3:03 PM

Kerry, Just give it more time; it's not as if you have a choice, anyway. After my hip fracture, I had some back issues related to being on crutches and some geometry changes to my hip. It took a long time before everything "wore in" and I no longer noticed anything not feeling right. It's still not like it once was, but as far as I can tell, there's no deficiency on the injured side. It's just different.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

11/2/19 5:43 PM

Stand up guy

Standing up was the last thing that came back for me after my femur fracture. At first I couldn’t do it at all, then it was awkward to varying degrees, finally this year I could stand up without really thinking about it (other than how hard it had been before). This was the third season after the fracture, so it took more than 20 months. I agree with Brian, you can keep improving for quite a long time.

Fortunately I very seldom stand anyway :)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/2/19 6:20 PM

Standing as in: out of the saddle riding?

dan emery

11/3/19 5:45 AM

Standing on the bike

Yes, I was responding to Kerry’s comment.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

11/4/19 11:07 AM

Crack!

quote:
Plateau then? Was yours displaced and screwed et al?

It was not described to me as a plateau fracture, but that doesn't mean it wasn't. It was 2 cm displaced and I have 4 screws. The surgeon noted that this would allow a knee replacement surgeon to get in there with minimal interference as opposed to having a plate installed. Oh, joy.

If you had asked me 6 months after the break (break was January, 2018), I would have said that I would schedule a knee replacement for the fall of 2018 because the recovery was so slow compared to expectations. But by the end of that riding season, I was feeling pretty good and now knee replacement is someplace in the indeterminant future.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/4/19 12:42 PM

It took me quite some time until I could push reasonable watts. In fact, 3rd season post cracktures I finally went to a cobbled compact crank setup, 36/48 with a 12-30 cassette. I was able to stay on the bike after that. It was all hilly out west of Nashville, not much available flat. This did not help pressure on the joint to be sure.

Doc wanted to scope it, I said let me see how it is next year. Back when our climbing setups were 39/53 with a 12-27 lowest. ;)

What I have for low gears today is almost embarrassing. But hell, I am an old fart now...

I will say, getting up from squats still make it sore afterwards. I just put all new steel on my shop roof. Kneeling for screwing down and getting up, eek. ;) But being an old fart, I got no complaints I still have the dexterity and strength to required to solo install 1200 SF of .26 ga 18 x 3', no steep thankfully. ;)

And soreness akin to how it felt first few seasons after cracktures, but not as bad, and soreness subsides in a day instead of a week.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -