CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Has anyone tried Jagwire Pro or Elite cables?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

9/26/19 4:38 AM

Has anyone tried Jagwire Pro or Elite cables?

I'm getting fed up with coated shift cables and their wear issues (peeling coating causing drag), and I'm looking for an alternative inner wire. These die-drawn & polished Jagwire options are appealing, but pricey ($12 and $25 each for just the inner wire, respectively - on Ebay). I'm curious if anyone here has tried them.

I'm also looking at Aican cables, which seem to be similar, but less expensive. Any feedback on those?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/26/19 10:29 AM

I have bought and used the Jag Pro Inner Highly polished cables in Shimano SIS housings for STis. And the Pro Compression-less Pro Kevlar Brake housings with both SIS brake and the Pro highly Polished Jag Cables for disc cabled setups.

The Alloy ends that come with the Pro sets are light years above SIS I will say. Although the Sis mostly last long enough until you redo it all anyway, except at the RDr IMO.

Having said that, the SIS ends for shifter I avoid at the RDr and use an alloy Jagwire one always. That cable arc into the RDr splits them eventually. Of course Shimano brought Shadow Tech/RDr into the road equation so that issue is greatly diminished. If you have 2nd generation 11s Shimano cabled. The FD and RD 2nd gen are better IMO.

My main reason was for rear full run cable disc. Disc wise I have found just popping Swiss stop green organic pads in is all that I will bother after all the Pro cable/housing coin I spent over SIS installs for the task in the end. But with some polished stainless cables, all I'll use.

I don't really find the shift polished that much more slick felling than SIS shifter cables. The brakes cable I do though. If you can feel it to your touch that sez something I guess.

The stainless SIS Shimano shift cables and brake cables are a lot cheaper and very smooth and polished.

Are you aware of the EZ-Bend Housing Segments Jagwire makes? [pn CHA146]

They are short sections for drop bar use that like to arc a lot more than regular housings for the first hard curve on road bars. If you use the Pro housings, these are made to help that bend friction.

https://jagwire.com/guides/housing

Yada, sorry.. coffee

Side note: I do recall during my LBS wrenching stent in 2012-3 re-cabling customers Shimano 1st gen systems of under tape shift cables a lot. I think this was the first coated Shimano systems. They would usually be back soon after, for all the expense it seemed to only be a short term cure.

When I did a Last version 10s Ultegra triple on the disc Roubaix, I went with 6603 STi avoiding the ST-6703 Shifters as much as Liked the under tape cable routing. it was one of the best shifting bikes, triple or not I have ridden to my surprise.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

9/27/19 7:15 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I ordered some Aican "Slick Stainless" cables to evaluate and have around for fixing other peoples' bikes (if they don't want to spring for expensive cables). I'll order one of the Jagwire Pro cables for comparison. If they're as good as they sound, I'd consider doing a group buy of a box of 50 to get the price down to $8.00 each, but I'd want at least another 4 people to join in.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

9/30/19 11:13 AM

The Aican inner wires arrived and my initial impression is that they're very well made. Their wire texture feels identical to Campy and the molded ends will work in both Shimano/SRAM and Campy levers. For $7.50/pair, They're a high-quality, standard inner wire.

I've been trying to find Aican's "Diamond" or "Gold" inner wires, but nobody seems to sell them separately.

Last edited by Brian Nystrom on 9/30/19 11:18 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/30/19 11:14 AM

Aican inner wires

Source?

greglepore

10/1/19 6:17 AM

Any of the highly polished steel cables are nice, beat the crap out of the poly coating that Shimano uses. I've used the Jag pros with

dfcas

10/1/19 10:58 AM

I-think- I use the jagwire pros but I'm not sure. They are campy specific and polished but they come in bulk 6 wires that are rolled up with no packaging. In any case they are quite fine no problems. I got the from Bike tools etc.

Brian Nystrom

10/1/19 11:43 AM

Sparky, I just ordered them on Ebay. The best price I found was $7.50/pair, shipped from Cyclists Express.

Bike Tools Etc. had almost nothing for Jagwire products.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -