HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Mount Washington HC does not sell out - RESULTS

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Wheels

8/17/19 7:07 PM

Mount Washington HC does not sell out - RESULTS

Looks like another good day on the Rockpile for the race, but unlike previous years, far from a sell out. Max was 635 riders, but only 389 were marked finished. Can't believe 250 were no shows or DNF.

2019 Results

Last edited by Wheels on 8/17/19 8:41 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/17/19 8:00 PM

"The annual Mt. Washington Auto Road Bicycle Hillclimb this year is accepting additional entrants on line at bikereg.com/mwarbh or in person at the base of the Auto Road on Friday."

That's a 1st, isn't it?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

8/18/19 5:57 AM

Not a 1st

More like full circle. When I first rode it around ‘90, you just signed up at a table and rode. You had to have a ride down, but no worries about a full field. Later it was a lottery, and they gave preference to previous riders. I think a number of road events have had a similar progression.

Reply to topic    

Wheels

8/18/19 8:00 PM

More Grassroots then.

Dan, When they first started it, formally, I don't think it was well advertised and organized and the cycling population was relatively small as you allude to. Lance "wins" a couple of TDF and then everyone and his brother are Lance Wanna-Bes and doing all of the Extreme Hillcllimbs, Rides and Amateur Races.

Now that there are no Americans competitive in major cycling events (serious contenders), the population of amateur cyclists has significantly dropped, and as you point out, this is affecting the number of competitors at many road/cyclocross events.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

8/19/19 12:32 PM

grassroots

When I first rode the Rockpile, it was part of the White Mountain Series, a great bunch of 8 or so citizen road races and time trials run by the guy who owned Wolfeboro Hardware. Yes, back then there were citizen road races, which drew good fields. At that time the Rockpile was strictly a citizen event. Also, the Concord Crit included citizen divisions. And of course Crank the Kanc, which still exists in citizen form. I once won the Vet Citizen race at the Concord Crit and got interviewed by Dick Ring just as if I took the Pro/1/2!

Things were way different back then....

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -