Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

TdF spoiler thread

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
daddy-o

7/25/19 2:12 PM

TdF spoiler thread

That was awesome!

Alaphilppe got to the top, took a swig, told the barmaid “Hold my beer,” and showed everybody the quickest way to get from the line at the Galibier to the line in Valloire.

Watching Quintana, and watching his “team,” what a performance. Dimes to dollars management digs their heels in tomorrow and attacks him.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

PLee

7/25/19 2:49 PM

Kudos to Alaphilippe!

He might just have enough time in the bank to make it through the next two days, but it's going to be tough.

And what the heck was Movistar doing??? Quintana could have had another minute if they didn't chase. And the same question for Geraint Thomas.

I'm guessing Movistar thought Quintana could win the stage, but if they wanted to win the Tour, they had to do something for Landa.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

7/25/19 3:48 PM

I assume Quintana will ride for a different team next year.

Brian Nystrom

7/25/19 4:08 PM

That's already a given and he's taking some other riders with him. I think this really just shows that the "co-leader" arrangement doesn't work well in practice, except under unusual circumstances. Unless Quintana can pull another rabbit out if his ass tomorrow and ride off on his own, the team is probably going to work for Landa, even though he's a full minute behind Quintana.

The real question now is whether Thomas and Bernal are going to start feuding. I don't think Thomas is strong enough to keep up, so I suspect that the situation will resolve itself.

I'm holding out hope for Aliphilippe, but if he doesn't win, I'll settle for anyone not wearing an Ineos jersey.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

7/26/19 6:04 PM

Early on Phil credited Bob with the observation that timing equipment was installed at the top of the Iseran. That pretty much defines ‘for all practical purposes’ for a finish line.

Alaphilippe gets the humanity prize this year. He’s not out of it, he’s explosive right? It’s going to be good. Was Bernal awarded the time bonus for the col? I read no stage winner was awarded, so no bonus for that. Columbia or France is going to celebrate. Or ?

This stage 20 profile rendered fine when it was pasted into the address bar, but not when it was linked as an image:
https://img.aso.fr/core_app/img-cycling-tdf-png/profil-etape20-nouvelleversion/17649/0:0,1393:1032-1200-0-70/142f0

Sparky

7/26/19 6:14 PM

Let's talk about Stage 19 how they decided to #stopclockGC

The guy starting to loose time from cumulative UPS, who can descend like nobody's business negating UP losses, gets a little screwed, no?

I feel terrible for Thibaut Pinot, nothing to do with the weather....

EDIT: Looking at Stage 18 VS 19 GC after stopage, The guy now in second I think has gotten screwed out of the likely podium position prior to the stop. Or was he going to pop with yet one more climbing stage???

daddy-o

7/26/19 8:22 PM

It sounds like Thibout Pinot was suffering from that muscle for a few days and it finally seized up. Shows how valuable being on form is to those guys.

Another case in point is Julian Alaphilippe. The stars aligned, and he had a plan. He was zeroing in on the group in front. He seemed to be riding within himself on the climb and was going to hit the bottom of the final climb within physical margins. That said, Bernal looked like he had plenty of reserves too.

The arbitrary finish line? It was the last mark from the race bible they'd passed. At most don't grant any time bonuses. Someone else might say "But Bernal earned them/ part of his plan" - As if the descent wasn't part of JA's plan.

Just pasted the time gaps from the site below into a spreadsheet, let's say Bernal stopped pedaling in anger 15 minutes after starting the descent. Racers 59 through 155 were still climbing. Had they heard the news?

I think we all remember that a 50 second gap in the standings can be overcome in a short time trial at the end of the Tour, why not the last climb?

Edit: After watching the end of the late night feed: Bernal wasn't giving back time on the descent and he had plenty left in the tank.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-de-france/2019/stage-19

Last edited by daddy-o on 7/27/19 5:33 AM; edited 1 time in total

daddy-o

7/26/19 8:34 PM

Saturday

PLee

7/29/19 11:41 AM

Bernal

Yeah, I think if stages 19 and 20 were run as originally planned, Bernal would have opened up bigger gaps on Alaphillipe. The final climb on both those stages would have given Bernal a chance to put serious time into the rest of the field.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/29/19 12:10 PM

"Bernal would have opened up bigger gaps on Alaphillipe"

Have to agree, but I am a fan now. 2 weeks with the yellow, that fucker gets heavier and heavier...

We still kinda got eh Ineos show though... in the end. ;) But I like the unpredictable curve that nature tossed in. Not the weather events, but the causal tactics edits required, et al.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -