HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Tube patching glue?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
April

6/5/19 6:58 PM

Tube patching glue?

I asked at REI bike service department if they sell glues independent of the patch kits. (I typically don’t patch at the road side, I patch them when I get home). I was told to I could get something similar at Walmart’s shoe section!

While that makes some sense, Chemistry isn’t my strong suit. Needless to say I haven’t a clue which kind of glue would work closest to a typical tube patching glue.

Any suggestions?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

greglepore

6/6/19 6:35 AM

Simple. In the auto or bike section, large cans of rubber cement. Autozone has it as well

Tom Price

6/6/19 9:18 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-1050-Rubber-Cement-oz/dp/B003V9UU66/ref=sr_1_8?crid=3645FY2D5W6QT&keywords=rubber+cement&qid=1559833754&s=gateway&sprefix=Rubber+ce%2Caps%2C194&sr=8-8

April

6/6/19 12:12 PM

thanks

Rubber cement, of course (duh!)

Brian Nystrom

6/6/19 12:18 PM

Note that this is not the same kind of "rubber cement" that's commonly sold for gluing paper products. You need to get the stuff that's specifically for patching tubes, as shown in the link.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

6/7/19 9:02 AM

Thin?

Is the auto store stuff thin enough for bicycle tubes? The thing I really like about the Rema rubber cement is that goes on as a thick enough layer but there is so much solvent that when it dries it leaves a very smooth and even glue layer. Thicker glues tend to glop (technical term) and leave lumps. But the Rema can doesn't seal that well and so after a couple of years, it thickens as the solvent evaporates. I usually have to toss it before it is half used up.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/7/19 10:18 AM

"But the Rema can doesn't seal that well and so after a couple of years, it thickens as the solvent evaporates. I usually have to toss it before it is half used up."

Glue the top on between uses? ;)

Brian Nystrom

6/7/19 11:04 AM

The automotive glues seem to be the same as the bike-specific stuff. If the glue thickens, you can add rubber cement thinner (heptane) to get it back to the proper consistency. That said, I have a can of Monkey Grip glue that I bought at Pep Boys several years ago and it's still as good as new.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/7/19 11:36 AM

With solvents, find a piece of plastic non soluble, and put it under the cap. The threads will lock it air tight. Use rubber bands or hair bands if non threaded lid.

Those butyl bands of tube material that come with tubes are useful as unlike 'rubber' bands that disintegrate in air [good when in landfill] they last a very long time.

@ 80-90.00 a gallon for my lacquers, and also what good latex paint cost these days, put plastic under the pain can lids on everything. extends life triple...

KerryIrons

6/10/19 8:50 AM

Brush in lid

The can has a brush in the lid, so no chance for a sealer. The existing seal is metalized so it is reasonably solvent-tight. I'll look for the heptane to thin it back out. I've tried other solvents and they don't seem to work well.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -